What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

IT  8/10

Been a while since I actually enjoyed a horror film at the cinema and didn't think they could do the book justice but very much enjoyed this.

A few cripes on book changes, needless CGI on an otherwise brilliant Pennywise and a touch to many cheap jump scares but everything else was fantastic.

Cinema was packed and the audience I was in seemed to be having a good time and added to the experience. (Minus the group of irritating women screaming loudly at every jump scare)

I thought the first half of IT was superb. The cast were great, and Bill Skarsgard did a brilliant job of portraying a soulless, inhuman beast hiding behind a clown disguise - I still like Tim Curry's depiction, but this Pennywise is a different creature altogether. Couldn't imagine a better adaption of the book, despite the deviations from the source material, which were generally pretty good at updating the story for the Eighties.

Then the script starts doing its own thing more and more, and the replacement material is poor by comparison. I can't think of a film that's deteriorated so badly in the second half. Way too much Pennywise, and they didn't seem to know what to do with him, so he spends a lot of time shaking like he's developed epilepsy. The setup for the end battle doesn't make a lick of sense, and reduces a major character to a tired archetype, presumably to mirror what's likely to happen to another character in the second film.

Would still recommend it to folk who liked the book/miniseries, but prepare to walk out feeling massively let down. Such a shame.

Not long back from IT as well.

I quite enjoyed it. I should disclose I've never read the book and having read King's The Shining I know the film can be a major letdown in comparison.

As a stand alone film I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting an outright horror film and anyone who was hasn't watched the mini-series. I may be way off but I always took Pennywise to be a predominantly comical character with the ability to turn very freaky very quickly. I thought that's how the new Pennywise was done.

The actors were all excellent and I thought they were developed as well as could be. The boy with the specs was hilarious without over doing it. All the youngsters were strong though and I was totally taken in by them.

An hour in I knew a sequel will be coming as there was no way we were going to see them grown up.

I never liked the end of the miniseries so the ending didn't bother me with this one. Overall I enjoyed it. It wasn't superb but it definitely wasn't rubbish.

7/10.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The actors were all excellent and I thought they were developed as well as could be. The boy with the specs was hilarious without over doing it. All the youngsters were strong though and I was totally taken in by them.

Yep, I'd go along with that. 

I'd only learned just before I went in that they were splitting the film into Part 1: Young, Part 2: Grown ups, which immediately got my back up.  The intertwining of the two in both the book and the TV adaption felt right, but you know what, I was wrong.  The pacing was good, the light stuff appreciated, and Pennywise was very good.  I'm now slightly concerned we're going to get flashbacks in the second film to this, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Also saw Limehouse Golem (8/10)
Very solid story, this.  You might get where it's going early, or it might - as it did me - creep up on you later, but it's captivating.  Gruesome in places, everyone in it was very good, and I like Bill Nighy, so that was nice.

Logan Lucky (7/10)
I think this got a slating earlier in the thread, but I'm not sure why.  Adam Driver is brilliant, and the whole film had a silly feel to it that took me in.  It's a bunch of nonsense, but it's also a lot of fun.

Edited by morrison

It 8/10

I've read the book a few times.  I thought it was a good representation of the book and 1980s Derry, Maine, which features in a few King novels, was very well crafted.  The young actors in the film were tremendous and I thoroughly enjoyed Bill Skarsgard.  While he didn't quite nail the whimsy of Tim Curry's Pennywise, he was hella scary.

More info on Chapter 2 here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/stephen-kings-it/266450/stephen-kings-it-chapter-2-cast-release-date-more-news

IT – 7/10

Agree with most of what’s been said. I’ve never read the book and only watched the miniseries for the first time last week. I preferred the original version, which I found was bit more creepy and clever than the new one which aimed for a few more frights, but both are very enjoyable.

All The Presidents Men (Kodi)

After reading the book I wanted to see if this stuck largely to the facts and by jingo it did. A true 70's movie in every respect - claustrophobic, gritty dialog and great chemistry between Hoffman and Redford. And big lapels.
Well worth a watch even if your interest/knowledge of Watergate and the resulting cover up is sketchy.

Going to watch Marathon Man tonight...

3 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

All The Presidents Men (Kodi)

After reading the book I wanted to see if this stuck largely to the facts and by jingo it did. A true 70's movie in every respect - claustrophobic, gritty dialog and great chemistry between Hoffman and Redford. And big lapels.
Well worth a watch even if your interest/knowledge of Watergate and the resulting cover up is sketchy.

Going to watch Marathon Man tonight...

Marathon Man is a classic. That is one of my favourite eras for movies. The Odessa File, Black Sunday, Capricorn One, The Boys From Brazil, The Parallax View etc. You cant beat a 70s political/espionage thriller.

Right, a wee bit more detail on this one.

IT

There's a couple of BIG negatives here. One is that they tried to cram so much stuff from the books in that they didn't need to. So some stuff didn't really get room to breathe, and Bowers' goons were just that. Goons. One dimensional as f**k, which is a shame because Patrick Hockstetter is a cracking character in the book, even if he doesn't feature much. The other big negative is the CGI at times. It looked terrible. For the most part though, I really enjoyed it. I liked the Losers' Club. Didn't mind how much they changed the character of Bev. Richie was the highlight of them for me, and a couple of his lines were tremendous. Bill Skarsgard definitely was great as Pennywise. I loved the way he spoke, even if it was a bit like Scooby Doo. There's a couple of tremendous horror scenes in it. Mike's first encounter with Pennywise is a cracker, and the slide show was brilliantly done. The big showdown at the end was a bit shit though. So the movie definitely had bad points but I got a kick out of most of it. So I'm happy.

7/10

Btw, is Derry paedo central?

Was at my ma's a few days ago, and 'Shane', with Alan Ladd and Jack Pallance, was on, so had to watch it.

Was at my ma's again today or yesterday, I forget - Shane was on again, so I watched it - again - fucking brilliant. 

I mind the boy Cousins did a review of it back in that day for the BBC - just a great film. 

I Won't Come Back

Interesting character study of two orphans on the run (one from police drug charges, one from her children's shelter) attempt to take the younger orphan back to her grandmother in Kazakhstan. Works really well building the relationship and tension between the two girls as they get closer and closer to their destination while their money dwindles. Then the last twenty minutes come absolutely out of the blue. They are not expected.

7/10 

Was at my ma's a few days ago, and 'Shane', with Alan Ladd and Jack Pallance, was on, so had to watch it.
Was at my ma's again today or yesterday, I forget - Shane was on again, so I watched it - again - fucking brilliant. 
I mind the boy Cousins did a review of it back in that day for the BBC - just a great film. 

Is your mum just watching the dvd on repeat?

On 9/12/2017 at 22:53, pittsburgh phil said:

Upon viewing, yes, it was safe. He obviously knew nothing. What a film though!

An old boy walks by my office now and again who is the spitting image of The White Angel. Can't help but screech "Aaargh, Die Weisse Angel ist hier" when I see him.