What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Dunkirk (cinema) - The music and sound in particular are absolutely superb (you have to try and see this in the cinema if you can).
 Absolutely this. I prefer visiting the smaller independent cinemas tbh, but I'm glad I saw this at Cineworld with the far better surround sound instead. Noise of the bombs etc is simply superb / incredibly realistic and simply streaming or having the DVD wouldn't be nearly as good. My main concern going into this was about over dramatisation (as is the norm for such films), but there was thankfully very little of this to speak of. 9/10 from me too and far, far superior to Baby Driver for film of the year imo.

Demolition Man. Was on Dave last night.

Gloriously stupid 90s action film with Stallone, Snipes and Sandra Bullock. An absolute classic of the genre.

8 out of 10. It loses a point because I still have no idea how the damn three seashells works.

Dunkirk (Cinema)

This is as good a war film as you're gonna see , the desperate struggle for survival from the soldiers  countered with the sense of duty from the pilots and the boat rescuers makes this a classic in every sense Tom Hardy had few lines to say in it but his presence was immense. IMO this has put Nolan firmly up with the very best ever, can't reccomend it enough. 10/10.

Dunkirk - 7/10 (cinema)

Good, but not great. I'm not a massive Nolan fan, so I'm probably not the best person to comment, but I thought the story ended up a bit of a mess at times. Harry Styles was surprisingly excellent though.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Gloriously stupid 90s action film with Stallone, Snipes and Sandra Bullock. An absolute classic of the genre.

8 out of 10. It loses a point because I still have no idea how the damn three seashells works.

I remember reading a wee article someone wrote about how the seashells would work. Really fucking obvious and pretty clever when I saw it written down, so I can understand your frustration.

The wean's birthday outing yesterday; two movies and a trip to McDonalds. Nobody can say that I don't know how to spoil my son.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - bit surprised by this. Didn't even bother with Amazing Spider-Man 2 as the first one was dull as balls and I'm very much Spider-Manned out at this point. Smart move by Sony to get Marvel onboard for this one, as they did a great job with it. Peter Parker's a likeable wee shite, and I quite enjoyed the high-school stuff, which normally wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. It doesn't have the epic scale of most Marvel films, but that's not a bad thing as it turns out, and it's always good to see Michael Keaton put in a good turn in a decent film (considering it doesn't happen often). Actually looking forward to the next one now, to my amazement.

Despicable Me 3 - thoroughly knackered by the time we saw this, and I nodded off for ten minutes in the middle, but I found this notably poorer than the first two (which I really enjoyed). It suffers from the same problem as Minions, as they seem to have run out of ways to make the little yellow fuckers funny, but thankfully the rest of the film is decent enough. Bringing in Trey Parker is a bit lazy, but he certainly does the job in his role; the other characters just feel like they're treading water, and it doesn't really feel like they're going anywhere with the series. Inevitable there'll be more, so hopefully they can do something a bit more interesting (and raise a few chuckles out of Kevin & co again).

Edit: added colour commentary from BigFatTabbySon: "it was better than the first two films - the first one is shit because the animation looks like something from 1983, only not black and white"  :lol:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

I remember reading a wee article someone wrote about how the seashells would work. Really fucking obvious and pretty clever when I saw it written down, so I can understand your frustration.

933a423bfd4d1e2d301c24dc684437ec.gif

That's vile. It's even more unhygienic and messy that toilet paper. You wouldn't be able to clean properly. Also what happens when you get a less solid shite? Plus surely they'd block the toilet when you tried to flush them? They don't look like they'd fit down the toilet.

Very disappointing from a supposed advanced society. They actually have the cheek to mock John Spartan for wanting to use toilet paper instead. 

Oh and the person in the diagram is standing up...

Edited by DA Baracus

Dunkirk: 9/10

I think I've seen all but one of Nolan's movies and this is easily top three for me, if not the best. Such an intense, loud movie. The way he plays with time, so that the three parts overlap each other and the climax technically runs the whole of the movie, to the way that he turns every moment into a race against time: The two soldiers running for the ship with the stretcher, Tom Hardy's pilot trying to intercept the bomber before it can hit an evacuation ship even to Hans Zimmer's soundtrack with that ticking noise running all the way through it, until the last two minutes of the movie. Just fantastic.

It's a fantastic, minimalist, really taut film. Very good at showing both the scope of the evacuation and also focusing in on the smaller stories. Loved every minute of it.

15 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Dunkirk - 7/10 (cinema)

Good, but not great. I'm not a massive Nolan fan, so I'm probably not the best person to comment, but I thought the story ended up a bit of a mess at times. Harry Styles was surprisingly excellent though.

Mark Kermode was talking about this on the radio the other day (Nolan's films lacking a human touch/characters) but he was 100% Nolan fan and cited Stanley Kubrick as being cold and not always delivering on character. I feel a bit detached watching some of Nolan's stuff as it feels like his ideas and twists are taking centre stage ahead of the characters (something I'd never found watching Kubrick films). 

Going to try and catch Dunkirk this week anyway 

Get Carter

9/10

Don't think I'd ever seen more than a few snippets of this before. Sat down with missus to watch it last night. What a bunch of horrible b*****ds! Really bold film to hve such a brutal main character. Really impressed by all the scenes in bars, nightclubs, horse racing as it all looks so believable. You never think these are extras, it just looks like the film is playing out in real time in some sections. Plus, any film with Britt Eckland getting her tits out is going to get at least 8/10 from me.

Dunkirk - 9/10. 

I would just agree with most of what has been said already in this thread, especially Renton's post. The cinematography is sublime, and the acting is extremely strong throughout - I would give a special mention to Mark Rylance's fantastically understated performance as Mr Dawson, and particularly his interactions with Peter. Perhaps the film's biggest strength is in the relative lack of dialogue, allowing for an intense, enhanced focus on actions and deeds rather than words. Masterful. 

Right, bit of a catch-up post from the last week or so...

(150-156)

The Magnificent Seven 7.5/10

Rewatch of the recent remake. Still really good, still genuinely enjoyed it. Well worth a watch if you didn't catch it at the cinema (Netflix)

Spaceballs 4/10

Pretty low on the Brooksometer. Some amusing moments (Netflix)

Trainspotting 8/10

Good! Story was a bit clunky but the callbacks to the first film were nicely played on the whole. (DVD)

The Cat Returns 7/10

Slight and silly but thoroughly enjoyable (torrent)

Con Air 10/10

No description required (Sky)

Duncan and Kirk 7.5/10

Pretty, pretty intense stuff. The three separate timelines is a little confusing to start with, i wish I'd picked up on those sooner and would like to see it again, but it all comes together nicely. The sound is incredible, and that wasn't even in IMAX. The score is metronomic, pulsating and primal. There's no discernible tunes and it merges so well with the sound effects you can't tell where one begins and the other ends. It's so overwhelming that the few moments of silence (for example when Bane's engine finally cuts out) all the more powerful. Zimmerman has been a genuine innovator in cinema score. Yeah, good film even if the story was a little slight. Was essentially a collection of brutal battle/survival scenes brought together with a flimsy narrative (not sure how historically accurate it was), but that didn't make it any less engaging. Harry Styles did well. (cinema)

The Death of Louis XIV 7/10

Basically Louis 14 played by Brian May dying for 2 hours from gangrene of the leg whilst his valet and doctor ponder what to do with him. Don't think the film leaves the room or the next door room once for the whole film, just wish I'd seen it at the cinema to get the full effect. Interesting although could have been a bit more engaging. Bloke playing the king is the guy who played the little kid in 400 Blows, didn't even recognise him! (Curzon)

Edited by Christophe

Dunkirk 7/10

As has been stated already, its very good but not quite excellent. Plenty of good performances, but the story seemed a bit scattered with the timeline etc. Definitely worth a watch though

How I spent my summer vacation (Netflix)

Always liked Mel Gibson movies and this is another good one,set in a Mexican prison , decent story and action, doesn't take itself too seriously. 7/10

Shame it wasn't released as Get the Gringo which was the US title apparently,much better IMO.

Easy Money (Netflix)

Comedy with Rodney Dangerfield. I think he's in better form in Back to School but this was still an enjoyable hour and a half of cheap laughs.

6.5/10

Edit: bonus half point for his neighbours knockers.