What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

David Lynch: The Art Life (cinema GFT)

Pretty honest and interesting look at Lynch's early years. He narrates the full film as we see him working on a variety of his art projects, speaking about his childhood and relationship with his mother and father. The dark streets of Philadelphia seems to have been the biggest influence on his art and then his films. The film is interspersed with loads of his dark, surreal art which is so recognisable in his films and the soundtrack is also typically Lynchian, industrial, brooding sounds. It ends at the point where Eraserhead has been made and looks as if it his career is about to launch. Will obviously appeal mostly to Lynch fans.

8/10

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

People? Is it not just Christopher who does it? (App)

I've certainly been trying to do it but was suggested originally by someone else. Good idea

Edited by Christophe

It Comes at Night ( Cinema )

Agree with Christophe that this is not a horror, so anyone expecting one from this will be sorely disappointed, but I'd assume most people know to take any marketing for any movie with a pinch of salt. It IS a tremendous claustrophobic thriller with enough paranoia and desperation to be gripping most of the way. Takes a while to settle into it's groove but when it does, it grabs hold.

9/10

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:45, wellinwigan said:

The Box

1/10

Utter gubbins with Cameron Diaz

Tempted to watch this just to see how they attempt to make this a moral dilemna.. someone gives you a box with a button.. press it and you get £1M but a random person you don't know dies. Think I would have needed about 30 secs of consideration before pressing it.

Spiderman, newest one at the cinema, enjoyable but relatively predictable. The final end of credits scene is absolutely brilliant.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Cinema)

I hate my self for saying this but I didn't really enjoy it. The first instalment of the recent trilogy is a massive favourite of mine and I thought that the sequel was really strong overall. This feels very detached from those two, mainly because it is now all out war and I felt the whole thing was handled quite poorly. There were enough good elements in the early stages of the film but the second half didn't really grab me in any way. 

5/10 

Spiderman, newest one at the cinema, enjoyable but relatively predictable. The final end of credits scene is absolutely brilliant.

Went to see this with my son who is a big marvel fan. I quite enjoyed, more importantly he loved it!

Went to see The Big Sick last night -- a kind of autobiographical story of how Kumail Nanjiani (out of off of The Silicon Valley) met the woman who would become his wife, Emily Gordon. So he's Pakistani, she's white, his mother is trying to set him up with every single Pakistani woman in Chicago. He can't tell his mother about Emily, she freaks out about this, they split up and then she gets sick and ends up in a coma, and he ends up hanging out with her parents (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) in the hospital. As romantic comedies go where the leading lady is asleep for three-quarters of the movie, it's pretty good, heart-felt stuff; funny when it needs to be. Ray Romano is surprisingly good and Kumail Nanjiani can do no wrong in my eyes. Recommended. 7/10

7 minutes ago, MSU said:

Went to see The Big Sick last night -- a kind of autobiographical story of how Kumail Nanjiani (out of off of The Silicon Valley) met the woman who would become his wife, Emily Gordon. So he's Pakistani, she's white, his mother is trying to set him up with every single Pakistani woman in Chicago. He can't tell his mother about Emily, she freaks out about this, they split up and then she gets sick and ends up in a coma, and he ends up hanging out with her parents (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) in the hospital. As romantic comedies go where the leading lady is asleep for three-quarters of the movie, it's pretty good, heart-felt stuff; funny when it needs to be. Ray Romano is surprisingly good and Kumail Nanjiani can do no wrong in my eyes. Recommended. 7/10

Quite looking forward to seeing this myself. Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint!

Dunkirk (cinema)

Don't want to say too much since it's just out, but it's everything I wanted and more. Both the score and the cinematography were utterly spellbinding.

Think I was a bit concerned I'd hyped it up a bit too much before going, but I don't think I could have asked for much else.

10/10

On 20/07/2017 at 11:24, irvine_buddie said:

Tempted to watch this just to see how they attempt to make this a moral dilemna.. someone gives you a box with a button.. press it and you get £1M but a random person you don't know dies. Think I would have needed about 30 secs of consideration before pressing it.

That's not really what it's about. It goes...somewhere else, somewhere hilariously ridiculous. And shit.

Worth watching if you're in the mood to watch a screenplay disappear up its own arse.

9 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

An hour and 45 minutes seems short for a Nolan movie.

Think it is his shortest since pretty much his first. I suppose it had to be in the sense that it just bombards you from the very first minute and to have it go another half hour would maybe be a bit too much.

Dunkirk (cinema) - 

Nolan is a wonderful filmmaker and this is a masterclass in direction, cinematography and sound. The music and sound in particular are absolutely superb (you have to try and see this in the cinema if you can). I left the cinema feeling totally gripped by the whole experience but I would say that I found some of the story threads weak in parts but not enough for me to be too distracted (the handling of the timescales felt a little off for me). 

Overall a brilliant cinematic experience and Nolan can do no wrong in my eyes.

9/10