What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just now, Tetragrammaton said:

Now you're talking out of your hoop. At least you've proven that you are an ignorant mug!

So you've definitely not posted that tedious meth pic a lot recently? Your post history suggests otherwise.

Just now, sjc said:

So you've definitely not posted that tedious meth pic a lot recently? Your post history suggests otherwise.

I've posted it, including my last post, 3 times in the last 30 or so minutes! Now, have you looked back at jimmy boy's posts and ascertained who is stalking whom, you ignorant mug?

Just now, Tetragrammaton said:

I've posted it, including my last post, 3 times in the last 30 or so minutes! Now, have you looked back at jimmy boy's posts and ascertained who is stalking whom, you ignorant mug?

You bore me. I'm off to bed. Night

There Will Be Blood

An epic story about the rise of Daniel Plainview, miner turned oil-man in early 20th century. Daniel Day-Lewis plays the part with an Oscar winning performance and his head to head with the local preacher played by Paul Dano is the main theme of the film. Maybe a wee bit slow at times but there's a lot going on and it is a fascinating tale.

9/10

Shin Godzilla - an undersea disturbance off the coast of Japan leads to destruction of road and inland canal networks. Is the damage being caused by some kind of geological movement, perhaps a volcano, or oh I give up it's Godzilla again, alright.

It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Japanese still do a better job of these. There's an interesting theme of how Japan shouldn't rely on other countries (primarily the US, let's be honest) to solve its problems when it's perfectly capable of doing it with reasonable help from its allies, which makes me wonder if this is a topic that Japanese society is ruminating over at the moment. The film's basically about government officials trying to work out how to deal with this massive symbolic problem, which totally isn't Fukushima, before the international community step in to protect themselves at Japan's expense. Sounds a bit dull, and it can get dry at times, but there are some interesting characters and decent acting/dialogue to help things along (from the Japanese actors, at least).

...nobody's watching for that, of course. The big guy himself is an interesting mix of old-school rubber suit and CG, which does a good job of keeping the daft entertainment of the old Japanese films, while adding a bit more realism. Godzilla's a bizarre mix of hilarious and terrifying when he first emerges, and they did a good job of showing the batshit insanity of being chased down the street by a giant googly-eyed monstrosity, destroying property due to its inability to control its own body. He has plenty of surprises to deliver as the film goes on too, and never stops being interesting.

He's not the only amusing thing in the film either. There are a fair few things that will bring a smile, not least the Japanese-American character who has supposedly never set foot in her ancestors' country, but speaks her English dialogue phonetically. It doesn't hurt the film at all, though, and is a nice counterpoint to the stern seriousness of the last American Godzilla film. Must admit to enjoying this one a bit more, and hopefully the next Hollywood film takes more of a leaf from Japan and forgets about following bland soldiers around. Nobody cares about you or your boring family, FFS.

Shin Godzilla - an undersea disturbance off the coast of Japan leads to destruction of road and inland canal networks. Is the damage being caused by some kind of geological movement, perhaps a volcano, or oh I give up it's Godzilla again, alright.
It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Japanese still do a better job of these. There's an interesting theme of how Japan shouldn't rely on other countries (primarily the US, let's be honest) to solve its problems when it's perfectly capable of doing it with reasonable help from its allies, which makes me wonder if this is a topic that Japanese society is ruminating over at the moment. The film's basically about government officials trying to work out how to deal with this massive symbolic problem, which totally isn't Fukushima, before the international community step in to protect themselves at Japan's expense. Sounds a bit dull, and it can get dry at times, but there are some interesting characters and decent acting/dialogue to help things along (from the Japanese actors, at least).
...nobody's watching for that, of course. The big guy himself is an interesting mix of old-school rubber suit and CG, which does a good job of keeping the daft entertainment of the old Japanese films, while adding a bit more realism. Godzilla's a bizarre mix of hilarious and terrifying when he first emerges, and they did a good job of showing the batshit insanity of being chased down the street by a giant googly-eyed monstrosity, destroying property due to its inability to control its own body. He has plenty of surprises to deliver as the film goes on too, and never stops being interesting.
He's not the only amusing thing in the film either. There are a fair few things that will bring a smile, not least the Japanese-American character who has supposedly never set foot in her ancestors' country, but speaks her English dialogue phonetically. It doesn't hurt the film at all, though, and is a nice counterpoint to the stern seriousness of the last American Godzilla film. Must admit to enjoying this one a bit more, and hopefully the next Hollywood film takes more of a leaf from Japan and forgets about following bland soldiers around. Nobody cares about you or your boring family, FFS.

Reviewed like a true fanboy.

(138)

30 Days of Night 3/10

First 20 minutes of this were really promising (nice cinematography, bit of slowly-building tension) but then it went straight into VAMPIRE ACTION and totally lost me. Main problems I had:

1 - Someone tried really hard to make the vampires cool in a very 00's goth way (including having the lead vampire occasionally make these pronouncements about the nature of humans or vampires or whatever that didn't really illuminate or explain anything and mostly just slowed the film down) the vampires were not cool, they never are.

2 - What is the point of having a film where the whole premise is "oooh, can these people survive [scenario] for 30 days?" and then have bits where it's literally a title screen saying "SEVEN DAYS LATER" and nothing has happened.

3 - The ending is really stupid.

Three points for the beginning bit, the rest is awful. (Netflix)

Edited by Christophe

(139)

Out of Thin Air 7/10

Doco about this story... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/2014/newsspec_7617/index.html

Pretty good, although a story that's been told many times now (e.g. Central Park 5) it's still pretty fascinating to see how damaging these police tactics were. Lovely soundtrack by Olafur Arnalds as well. (torrent, but apparently coming to Netflix soon)

Have been meaning to watch this for a while, I love the Japanese Godzilla movies. Saw the trailer for Shin Godzilla, and was gutted when I found out it wasn't getting a full release over here, but haven't been able to find a subtitled version yet. I thought the last American Godzilla was actually quite good, much better than previous versions, I'm just hoping the next one as hinted at by King Kong will be a worthwhile watch

22 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Have been meaning to watch this for a while, I love the Japanese Godzilla movies. Saw the trailer for Shin Godzilla, and was gutted when I found out it wasn't getting a full release over here, but haven't been able to find a subtitled version yet. I thought the last American Godzilla was actually quite good, much better than previous versions, I'm just hoping the next one as hinted at by King Kong will be a worthwhile watch

Managed to find an excellent HD copy with good subtitles through sources that must remain nameless (I'm not doing the Schmirate Bay thing again, sorry).

I liked the last US one too, but the Avengers incest reunion was incredibly dull. Hard to remember central characters of a film that I've given less of a shit about. The weird thing about the post-credits King Kong sequence is that Tom Hiddleston & co will either be dead or elderly by the time the big face-off occurs. Bit strange considering that it certainly looked like they planned to re-use those characters.

25 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

It's a compliment. I enjoyed your review don't be so sensitive.

All I said was "Eh?", as I didn't know what you meant  :unsure2:

New Transformers. An utter incomprehensible mess. It's actually some achievement to make a film about massive shape shifting robots that dull!
I presume they just dropped a humongous bag of cash on Anthony Hopkins' front door.