What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(103)

Beauty and the Beast 7/10

Bill Condon (Twilight, Dream Girls, Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh) live-action take on Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont book. A film very much defined by its extensive use of CGI. Available in 2D and 3D, it's currently the 11th highest grossing film of all time

(cinema)

Edited by Christophe

(104)

Clash 7/10

Set during the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood protests in 2013 all the action takes place in one prisoner van. The occasional stylistic inconsistency aside it was impressive stuff, well worth catching (torrent)

Trainspotting 2

I'm not sure what mark to give this. Might have to watch it a couple more times.

I liked the way the backdrops showed the changes that have happened in the last 20 years, such as wind turbines. I liked the scenes shot about Edinburgh and especially up Arthur's Seat and Salisbury Craggs.

In general it was a good watch but there wasn't much of a spark. I can empathise with that. The characters were supposed to be young and nuts in Trainspotting and now they are old and jaded by life.

I think I liked it, but it'll need another couple of viewings to decide.

(105)

Lady MacBeth 5/10

Atmospheric, loovely cinematography both outdoors and in but couldn't really buy into the story or the characters, oh well nevermind (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

(106)

The Last Witch Hunter 0/10

Vin Diesel, Michael Caine, Frodo, Ygritte from off of Game of Thrones. I have never sat through a more enormous pile of shit in my entire life. Pure fucking bollocks. Inexplicably has 4 stars on Netflix. Diesel starts and ends with Pitch Black as an actor for me. Can't be doing with him in anything else. Only watched XXX for Asia Argento

Colossal

Anne Hathaway, while in the US, can conjure a monster in Seoul by walking on a sandpit. That's all the trailers ever give, and they make it out to be some quirky comedy. At times it is, but there's much more going on here. The big points being abusive relationship and addiction. The monster is important of course, as it plays a driving force in the latter.

As for how good it is, it definitely works. A bit hard to watch at times, basically thanks to how unnerving a performance Jason Sudekis puts on. The quirky stuff also works down to how ludicrous the concept actually is. A bit much going on, but it's a damn good effort.

8/10

(106)
The Last Witch Hunter 0/10
Vin Diesel, Michael Caine, Frodo, Ygritte from off of Game of Thrones. I have never sat through a more enormous pile of shit in my entire life. Pure fucking bollocks. Inexplicably has 4 stars on Netflix. Diesel starts and ends with Pitch Black as an actor for me. Can't be doing with him in anything else. Only watched XXX for Asia Argento

I am Groot!

(107)

Everly 4/10

Basically a torturey gangster romp which was just so ridiculous that I would have switched it off has it not been for Salma Hayek being pretty much in her underwear for the whole film. 8.5/10 for her (Netflix)

Suicide Squad.

Oh my that was bad. Very bad. Don't know where to start there is so much wrong with it. It's obvious this film was rushed to add substance to the Dc universe and fails miserably. Solid 3/10

(108)

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion 8.3/10

A dark Italian satire from Elio Petri on power and corruption where a recent former head of a homicide squad decides to have a bit of a busman's holiday and prove to himself how much he can get away with. Recommended (mubi)

Edited by Christophe

Suicide Squad.

Oh my that was bad. Very bad. Don't know where to start there is so much wrong with it. It's obvious this film was rushed to add substance to the Dc universe and fails miserably. Solid 3/10

Is Margot Robbie decent though [emoji120]

Runaway Jury

Caught this on Film 4 last night. Pretty good courtroom drama based on a John Grisham novel and an excellent cast including Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, John Cusack and Rachel Weisz. Not so much about the case itself but more about jury selection and manipulation. Cusack is one of the jurors but has his own agenda and this is one of his best performances. A film worth checking out.

7/10