What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

When people criticise that film, Michael Caine says he's never seen it... but he's seen the house that he bought with the money he got for making it.

The fact that Ellen Brody was having flashbacks to events that she wasn't even present at actually caused me to shout at the TV.

On 13/03/2017 at 20:20, pittsburgh phil said:

Commando is on tonight, Film 4 9pm. Not age appropriate but worth watching for the gloriously camp bad guy, Bennet.

Always makes me chuckle at the fact that in the heat of a death battle the best he can come out with is playground insults that make little sense.

On 13/03/2017 at 20:54, quickoverayard said:

I knew every word of this film by the age of 3, my gran had to pretend she lost the VHS as i was obsessed and watched it like 4 times a day.

Looking back it was a shite film with some shocking acting and even worse of a script, got to love some of arnies lines in the film tho....

'let off some steam Bennet'
'Dont disturb my friend.... hes dead tired'

On 13/03/2017 at 20:58, pittsburgh phil said:

Johhhhn...I'm not gonna shoot you between the eyes, I'm gonna shoot you between the balls!

He's dead ten seconds later...

On 13/03/2017 at 21:10, pittsburgh phil said:

Haven't even cleared the opening credits yet and Commando is delivering on all fronts!

On 13/03/2017 at 21:28, tongue_tied_danny said:

Commando is great. You gotta loves films where a former soldier or secret agent is living a peaceful life out in the countryside then is coaxed out of retirement and has to partake in some serious asskicking. Rambo 3, Invasion USA, Firefox etc. There's plenty of others. It has to be the most common movie cliche of them all.

On 13/03/2017 at 22:46, pittsburgh phil said:

I'd give Commando a solid 8/10..always good to see the fictional dictatorship of Val Verde included.
Also those knives that he fires are real things. Russian army standard, be warned.

On 13/03/2017 at 23:26, Patrick Bateman said:

I really love listening to your little piss-ant soldiers trying to talk tough. They make me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

Commando is fucking brilliant! One of my favourite films for just how absolutely ridiculous it is.

The tone is set immediately when a close up of Matrix's bulging biceps fill the screen as the camera pans out to reveal he's carrying huge logs. It doesn't let up from then on, what with Matrix smelling the enemy on the wind to jumping out of a moving aircraft to picking up a phonebox with a man inside to inexplicably stripping down to tiny underwear in order to row a boat to annihilating an entire army single handed, the film delivers all the time. Then there are the glorious one liners.

"They should call him 'Girl George'. It would cut out all of the confusion I think."

"Remember when I said I'd kill you last? I lied!"

"I eat green berets for breakfast!"

"What happened to Sully?" "I had to let him go!"

Edited by DA Baracus

25 minutes ago, GordonD said:

When people criticise that film, Michael Caine says he's never seen it... but he's seen the house that he bought with the money he got for making it.

I liked the old myth from when it first came out too, about how MC was on holiday in the Bahamas and they just asked him to join in. Amazing what you'll believe when you're a kid.

This and Jaws 3D were the only Jaws movies I ever saw in the cinema. Egad.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I liked the old myth from when it first came out too, about how MC was on holiday in the Bahamas and they just asked him to join in.

It happened with Spike Milligan and Life of Brian.

Lion

Went to watch Lion at the cinema last night not knowing anything about it except my gf wanted to see it. Wow what a great film. Dont think it will work so well on tv but on the big screen you feel like you are on a journey and you get caught up in the emotion. This weeks probably last chance to see it at cinema so if you want to treat the missus take her to see this.

Why would I want to take your missus if she's already seen it?

(54-58)

I Am Belfast 6/10

Mark Cousins essay film about Belfast. Well-meaning, and looks and feels nice but kept drifting.

Dear Phone 6/10

Peter Greenaway 'structural' film about phoneboxes, funny but slight.

A TV Dante 7/10

Peter Greenaway does a bit of the Divine Comedy, completely mad

The Wild Angels 5/10

Roger Corman biker b-movie, this is where that Primal Scream bit from Loaded is from

Easy Rider 6/10

Heavily borrows from the aforementioned Corman, Mekas, Baillie, Warhol, Anger and Brakhage, but manages to find the right blend of them all.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Wasn't there something about him agreeing to be in it despite not reading the script beyond the opening line:

"EXT. THE BAHAMAS"

Saw Free Fire with Cineworld Unlimited last night.  3/10.  Basically a gun deal goes tits up and there's a mass shoot out.  Some alright one liners from Vern but I thought it was largely shite.

All The President's Men -- 6/10

I watched this about 15 years ago and remembered being disappointed with it, particularly the end. Watched it again. Felt exactly the same way.