What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

La La Land - 8.5/10

I thoroughly enjoyed that and I'm not a great fan of musicals. I thought Gosling and Stone were superb together. The music was great with City of Stars being the stand-out and the cinematography was excellent. Stone should win best actress easily, her acting of the acting scene was amazing and in general throughout the film she stood out.

The Pyramid - Low budget horror available on Netflix. Surprisingly has a few recognisable faces in it. The premise is good, I think, new pyramid is located and a group of archaeologists go in to investigate. Turns out that there was something deliberately buried in the pyramid to contain it. The idea is good but it's poorly executed and some of the acting is poor. 4/10.

Pressure - Another film available on Netflix. A group of deep sea divers get stranded at the bottom of the ocean and it follows their attempts to survive. Was ok stuff, with the acting a big improvement over the pyramid. 6/10.

Two films about the 2008 financial crash...

Margin Call (6/10)

Dry, serious, dialogue-heavy take looking at the internal calm mayhem as the bomb dropped overnight in an I'm assuming fictional firm based on real anecdotes. Kevin Spacey's performance gets it an extra point.

The Big Short (7/10)

More lively, humourous take on three sets of folk who called the upcoming catastrophe years ahead of time against all other received thinking. Surprisingly good performance from Steve Carroll.

Edited by banana

I, Daniel Blake: the ending was quite moving, but it's about as subtle as a brick at other times. I haven't had to had any dealings with a Job Centre for 20 years, but if that film is anything like the experience people are put through, then it would drive you crazy. Going on the reports of the number of people who have died during the process of getting benefits, I imagine there must be some truth in it. Anyway, it didn't really cheer me up on a Friday night, but it was watchable.

6/10.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I, Daniel Blake: the ending was quite moving, but it's about as subtle as a brick at other times. I haven't had to had any dealings with a Job Centre for 20 years, but if that film is anything like the experience people are put through, then it would drive you crazy. Going on the reports of the number of people who have died during the process of getting benefits, I imagine there must be some truth in it. Anyway, it didn't really cheer me up on a Friday night, but it was watchable.

6/10.

Yup exactly my problem with this one, heart was in the right place but a bit too obvious and sledgehammer with the sentiment 

Edited by Christophe

Just about to comment on that. Watched it the other night. I too would be disgusted if this country refused benefits to a man with a Doctor's letter.

On the Job Centre staff though I think they nailed it. I had to sign on for a short period after Uni. The way some of them spoke to people was as if they were dirt. One guy in particular was a Hitler-esque little fucker. But there was one guy who was extremely nice (bit like that woman who tried to advise him).

The looking for work forms are a genuine thing and I once witnessed a guy slate a young lassie who was signing on, for not filling in all the boxes. The lassie said she didn't want to lie and had filled in exactly what she had done to look for work. The dickhead behind the desk wasn't impressed and said she'd be sanctioned (or summit like that) and in the end up the lassie stormed off and told him to shove his money. She seemed a genuine lass.

I shit you not, the very next guy approached and this p***k said to him, in a far quieter tone: "Come on Tony, you need to be filling all these boxes in or they stop your money." He then filled it in for him! The guy in question being a shiftless alcy b*****d who had absolutely no intention of ever working*. Genuinely couldn't believe what I witnessed. So I think the film got that part pretty much spot on.

* Not me being judgemental. I went to school with his daughter so was aware of how much of a lazy b*****d he was/is.

So the penpusher told both they'd have to fill it all in to avoid sanctions, but only the bint got sanctimonious and stomped off. What a knob! 

They both got told, yes. But his attitude towards each of them was night and day. It was pretty shocking the way he had a go at the lassie and made sure everyone heard, yet he actually filled in the jakey's form and had a quiet word with him about filling it in next time. Surely if you're going to be a tosser you should show a bit of consistency.

(26, 27)

Christine 6.5/10

Quite similar to 'Jackie' in a way in that it was an absolutely brilliant performance from the lead and really good low-key film making, but it wasn't really that captivating or anything

Circus Of The Dead 3/10

Seems it can't get distribution. No idea why. Vile and the awful acting is hilarious if it wasn't so repugnant. Another film I've watched because i love visceral but this is why this stuff doesn't get distributed. Not even Rob Zombie worthy. "I like, barfed on my cat dude, while a clown..." you get the picture. Rape, necro, racism and clowns! because clowns! (Ooh scary). Fuck off! 

Hundred Foot Journey....7/10.
Indian family relocate from England to France to open restaurant somewhere. Their van breaks down in small town where they buy and renovate property across the road from Helen Mirrens stuck up French restaurant. Fairly lightweight and predictable stuff with couple of side love stories. Enjoyable watch.

On 1/30/2017 at 15:35, The OP said:

Arrival - started off with a pretty intriguing concept and creates some suspense early on but it turned out to be a Nolanesque silly film masquerading as a clever film, creating a bit of tedium as a result. I would say that I haven't seen Interstellar, so I have no idea if that's similar or any good, but I presume it would be similar.  

There are a number of issues with Arrival, but I'd say the main one is incredibly advanced aliens coming to Earth 3000 years in advance of an emergency and not having a plan for communicating with us (or anyone from a country where English isn't spoken and who is therefore a trigger-happy warmonger). In fact, the aliens' understanding of time is a bit like the Tralfamadorians from Slaughterhouse 5, if anyone has read it. That being the case, you'd think they'd already understand both English and Mandarin, having already learnt it in the future. 

Anyway, the acting is decent enough, it looks good, the first 45mins or so are reasonable enough and it was a bit better than Silence which I believe I gave 4/10, so 6/10. 

My thoughts exactly. It simply made no sense for the aliens to be unable to communicate.

Lion

A young poverty stricken Indian 5 year old gets lost from his family miles away from his home with no idea what his village or mother are called having boarded a train when his brother asks him to wait at the station. A period of homelessness ensues before he's taken in to an orphanage and subsequently adopted by an Australian couple. All grown up, he attempts to find his birth family.

It's based on a true story, and it really is an amazing story. Dev Patel (as usual) puts in a fantastic performance as a conflicted young man that yearns to find his original home and if his family are still alive, while trying not to offend his adopted family. Would thoroughly recommend, an excellent film.

(28, 29)

Vampyr 7/10

Early (1932) sound film, except it was in German so there was no point. It's a visual orgy, like utterly stunning, couldn't work out what the hell was going on though. Apparently Guillemo Del Toro loves it and it was a heavy influence on 'Hard To Be A God'. Very worth seeing

Avengers 8: Age Of Ultron 6/10

Could have done with being maybe half an hour shorter, but was pretty good fun. They should get Joss Whedon to do one of the Star Wars films