What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Last night went to the last film of this year's Adelaide Film Festival which was "Gimme Danger", a Jim Jarmusch documentary about Iggy & the Stooges. If you're a fan of the Stooges then it's a must see. Mainly Iggy doing the talking but quite bit included from Scott Asheton, post stroke, Ron Asheton, James Williamson and some others. Go see it if you get the chance and enjoy.

On 31/10/2016 at 07:51, ShinobiDandy said:

Jason X (2001) /The Omen (1976) /A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) /Evil Dead (2013) /Halloween (1978)

Well it is Halloween after all. Probably a 9/10 weekend but gonna score it an 8 for the rookie error of watching Jason X, bloody hell it was bad!

You've truly put a turd in the punch-bowl including that in the list of excellent films (although I prefer the Evil Dead original to the remake by a long way).

The Shining

Flicking for a scary movie on Halloween, I settled on this as it was on Sky.  I haven't seen it in a few years and it was the shorter cut (just under two hours) but it's a really impressive film, even after all these years.  A lot of things that are kind of cliches in horror now (scary kids, long shots with little happening) are done so well in this film that it hasn't really aged.  I'd forgotten how long some of the scenes are and how unsettling they get - the REDRUM scene goes on far longer than I'd remembered and the scene with Jack in the bathroom is a lot more disturbing than I'd remembered, the naked woman who gets out the bath first looks odd, arms and legs too long?

It's also got immense performances - obviously Nicholson is superb, Shelley Duvall genuinely seems to be having a breakdown and Danny is played in a superbly natural way, nothing self-conscious about it.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

You've truly put a turd in the punch-bowl including that in the list of excellent films (although I prefer the Evil Dead original to the remake by a long way).

The Shining

Flicking for a scary movie on Halloween, I settled on this as it was on Sky.  I haven't seen it in a few years and it was the shorter cut (just under two hours) but it's a really impressive film, even after all these years.  A lot of things that are kind of cliches in horror now (scary kids, long shots with little happening) are done so well in this film that it hasn't really aged.  I'd forgotten how long some of the scenes are and how unsettling they get - the REDRUM scene goes on far longer than I'd remembered and the scene with Jack in the bathroom is a lot more disturbing than I'd remembered, the naked woman who gets out the bath first looks odd, arms and legs too long?

It's also got immense performances - obviously Nicholson is superb, Shelley Duvall genuinely seems to be having a breakdown and Danny is played in a superbly natural way, nothing self-conscious about it.

It was the only Jason film i hadnt seen...seemed there was a reason for that I just didnt know yet

DIG! 7/10

Dug (arf, arf!) this out the shelf after listening to the new BJM record this week. 

It holds up for me, still really funny and sad and frustrating at just how hard Anton will work to make life more difficult, how thin-skinned he is, how much of a content provider he is. Like when I first watched it, Mrs. C was like "yes but is the joke here that the Brian Jonestown Massacre are actually shit?" The sitar scene, the Matt Hollywood exit, the flounce off in Chicago, the ill-fated gig in LA, the drug bust in Georgia, it's a film full of great scenes to pad out some of the slightly overbearing talking heads. Joel always comes across very likeable, and this watch sort of crystallised more of the issue with the Dandy Warhols; they're voyeurs, they're well-read about squalor and rock history, but they can't actually commit to it, which is why in the final analysis they'll be considered a worse band.

Grizzly Man 8/10

Crackpot lives with bears, gets eaten shocker.

Incredibly beautiful, but slightly overlong retelling of the life of Timothy Tredwell, a self-appointed bear protector in Alaska. Mostly told with his own footage, much of which is amazing - either intentionally by getting really close to huge bears, or unintentionally as he does several Partridge-esque-to-cameras. I love Herzog but I found some of his interventions in this work a little overbearing, so what if you think nature is chaos, it's hardly central here. Still, engrossing and complicated; is Tredwell a well-meaning fruit, or a deranged and harmful idiot, or something much more complex? I'd go with the former - he made his bed, he lay in it, he knew the risks, he lived the life, he used his work to educate children. Best scene: bear fight.

Edited by Christophe

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Shining

Went to the special screening of this at the Belmont last night as I'd never really seen it before. T'was a really good (and scary) film.

8/10

I, Daniel Blake; 9/10. 

Magnificent, depressing, disheartening, and just so moving - all in under two hours. I'm certainly not one for crying at films, but I have no problem admitting that I was fighting to resist tears by the end (and at several points throughout). Dave Johns and Hayley Squires are magnificent; they complement each other tremendously with such graceful but raw performances. Just go and see it.

I was not expecting a couple of namechecks for Charlie Adam, I must say. One of the more amusing moments!

Doctor Strange - Although I like a lot of Marvel stuff this film just wasn't my cup of and I struggled to get into it. 

Inferno - Had high expectations of this as I Loved Angels and Demons but this is pish. A carbon copy to the previous film but the story wasn't half as good and the characters I just couldn't get into at all. So disappointed in this. 

Martyrs - highlights the quality of the original by being poorer in every way, committing several of the standard American remake crimes while doing so (stupid plot changes, inferior acting, disregard for audience intelligence). Don't watch unless you've seen the original, as it'll ruin some of the more surprising aspects of the story.

10 Cloverfield Lane - Good film, but doesn't really stand up well to repeated viewing, when you know what's going on. Ending is still shite, and is about the least imaginative explanation for the original film that anyone could conceive.

Exists - found footage Bigfoot film by one of the Blair Witch boys. Dull and unimaginative, with the standard set of dense, unlikable characters.

The Mangler - Lawnmower Man-style tale spun out from an exceedingly short Stephen King story. Robert Englund stars as a hilariously evil sweatshop owner with a possessed man-eating mangler. As poor as it sounds, with Texas Chain Saw's Tobe Hooper performing his usual Nineties trick of wrangling dreadful performances out of otherwise competent actors. Staggeringly, it apparently got a cinema release in the US, and somehow spawned two sequels.

The Witch - isolated pioneer family are besieged by a variety of misfortunes brought about by ol' horny himself. No spoiler, unfortunately - it's made clear what's going on right from the start. Decent enough performances, but what little story there is, is interminable, and very little happens of any interest. Not really a horror film; more of a turgid 17th century kitchen sink melodrama with lots of sky-fairy talk.

Day of the Dead - remake of the George Romero classic. Doesn't keep very much of the original apart from the zombies (now the 28 Days Later type, rather than the old shamblers) and a few names and brief allusions to themes. Also steals Ving Rhames from the Dawn of the Dead remake, in an unrelated cameo that must have been shot in two days. Just your basic, bog-standard low-budget zombie flick, no better or worse than the average, but still a million times better than the "official" sequel to the original, Day of the Dead 2: Contagium. If you ever want to flagellate yourself, stick that turd on instead.