What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

My Scientology Movie 6.5/10

Very enjoyable as Louis is never anything but a supremely engaging presence but not massively insightful I guess. 

Funniest thing was if the sciento-mentalists hadn't been all over his D about making the film he probably wouldn't have even had a film to make

Have you watched Hitler: The Rise of Evil, with Robert Carlyle? I watched that some time after Downfall and was shocked to see the Geobbels actually opposed Hitler in the early days. I wonder if it was a case of Hitler keeping his enemy's closer.

Seen it years ago but have forgotten most of it. It was pretty good, IIRC.

I find the Nazis morbidly fascinating. I always end up watching any old stuff about them even though they are often quite upsetting.

52 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I find the Nazis morbidly fascinating. I always end up watching any old stuff about them even though they are often quite upsetting.

I find Rommel to be a morbid curiosity, by all accounts he seemed to be a loyal German soldier and a fair person. From what I understand, any POW's under his authority were treated very well. He was loyal to his country, even tho he disagreed with what they were fighting for. 

Watched a film on him the other day, with James Mason, "The Desert Fox".

Was pretty good, portrayed him as a tragic character.

There's apparently another film starring Mason as Rommel which is less sympathetic but I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully Film4 will stick it on sometime.

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Permanently tuned to the History Channel then?

Have you not watched it recently?

The History Channel is now just nothing but "bloke finds something in an attic and tries to sell it" reality TV programmes, interspersed with documentaries "proving" that aliens caused the Pyramids/Battle of Hastings/Wall Street Crash/Hibs Cup win.

Grosse Pointe Blank 10/10

This is a personal favourite but I probably hadn't watched it for a couple of years. It's just brilliant and will never get old.

Soundtrack alone would give it 8. Brilliant film that can be watched multiple times.

The Fearless Freaks 6.5/10

Popped this decade-old documentary about The Flaming Lips in to see how time has treated it.

Mostly pretty well as far as rock docs go! I'm sure if they re-cut it they'd probably play down the Christmas On Mars: Behind The Scenes Of A Dreadful Film bit, as well as the Aren't We Great Husbands sections. But it does really give good context into why they started so weird (brothers all acid-fried jocks, grew up around crime) and even why they changed so radically in the mid-late 90s (death, departure, drugs). The bit where they interview Steven as he's shooting up is still really dark, and I think most ardent fans want more out of certain stories (why did Jonathan Donahue just leave without telling anyone, why did Ronald Jones just leave and never really be seen ever again?) but maybe there's not much more to them. The clip where they try and intensify a psych-rock song by mic'ing up a motorbike exhaust is probably one of my favourite things ever.

The Thing (1982)

One of my favourite films but hadn't watched it in a good while. The Thing monsters are equally gory, disgusting and fascinating. Considering it came in the early 80s, they hold up well for it's age. The paranoia and distrust between the group is great and all the characters are believable and interesting. MacReady is the main character but even he isn't your standard hero of the piece.

The Thing (2011)

Decided to rewatch this one after viewing the original. This is a prequel and actually ties in very well to the original film. It just isn't as good as the original and is more of a straight forward monster movie. It does build up some tension and distrust between the Norwegian and US crew but doesn't hit the heights of the original. The Thing monsters are CGI this time round and are ok for the most part. The last act is also pretty disappointing IMO. It is still worth a watch if you are a fan of the original.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Perfectly acceptable action stuff here with a particularly funny scene in a car park which I'm willing to add a point for. Think given how much of the book they had to cut, they did a decent enough job putting it together.

7/10

47 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

The Thing (1982)

One of my favourite films but hadn't watched it in a good while. The Thing monsters are equally gory, disgusting and fascinating. Considering it came in the early 80s, they hold up well for it's age. The paranoia and distrust between the group is great and all the characters are believable and interesting. MacReady is the main character but even he isn't your standard hero of the piece.

The Thing (2011)

Decided to rewatch this one after viewing the original. This is a prequel and actually ties in very well to the original film. It just isn't as good as the original and is more of a straight forward monster movie. It does build up some tension and distrust between the Norwegian and US crew but doesn't hit the heights of the original. The Thing monsters are CGI this time round and are ok for the most part. The last act is also pretty disappointing IMO. It is still worth a watch if you are a fan of the original.

Try watching the original, The Thing From Another World (1951) with James Arness as "The Thing"...no special effects as such, continuity errors galore and typical 50s sci-fi allegory of the threat of communism, but one of the best of its kind and one of the most famous last lines in cinema.

Primer (2004)...I must be into double figures watching it and it's still a total mindfuck. 

Here's the entire movie on youtube

and here's a 23 minute explanation

Edited by Arch Stanton

City 40 - Netflix

it's a Russian documentary on a closed city in Russia called Ozersk that wasn't even on acknowledged on a map till the mid 90's. It's apparently the most contaminated place on earth and the residents were exposed to five times the amount of radiation as those living around Chernobyl.

Decent watch 6/10

Here's an interview VICE done with the director of the documentary.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/inside-the-radioactive-city-russia-doesnt-want-you-to-know-about

Mr Church 9/10

Eddie Murphy plays a cook hired to tend for a sick woman and her little girl til her cancer gets the better of her. While this is scheduled to take 6 months the mother lives for years and even when she is gone, he looks after the girl throughout the rest of their lives together. Couldnt praise Murphy enough for this, a real standout performance and if anyone doesnt well up at points in this film, then they are made of stone

Thoroughly recommend it