whisky lovers

10 hours ago, Myko said:

Been reading the last 25 pages or so and found no mention of Chivas Regal which catches my eye every time I'm in the drinks aisle. Is it any good ?

I'm slowly getting bored of Bourbon and would like to buy a bottle of malt to get started. I love a wee nip or two on a good night out, and got a nice bottle of Haig Club for Christmas which is going down well but I appreciate it's not a traditional type whisky like the ones mentioned on the thread.

Forget Chivas Regal, we export it all to you lot so we don't have to drink it. This is the good stuff.

000734.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I love it for its top notch bang/buck ratio

Yeah it has grown me a bit since I got it a while ago  but the bang/buck ratio imo is what the man below me is talking about...

5 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Interesting, that's next on my list.
Love the Aberlour A'Bunadh and the resident whisky expert at work recommended the Glenfarclas 105 as an alternative.

On the A'Bunadh, do the batches vary to any significant extent? Got a couple of bottles in my drinks cabinet of different batches but as I've not got a great deal of knowledge or much of a palette (I know what I like but can't really discern much from whisky) so I can't figure out how much of it is a marketing gimmick and how much of it is a genuine change in how the whisky will taste.

I have heard folk talk about this but I have loved every one I have tried. The earlier ones when I did a taste test were slightly better but Im guessing due to the success of it they churn ones out a bit younger now.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Interesting, that's next on my list.
Love the Aberlour A'Bunadh and the resident whisky expert at work recommended the Glenfarclas 105 as an alternative.

On the A'Bunadh, do the batches vary to any significant extent? Got a couple of bottles in my drinks cabinet of different batches but as I've not got a great deal of knowledge or much of a palette (I know what I like but can't really discern much from whisky) so I can't figure out how much of it is a marketing gimmick and how much of it is a genuine change in how the whisky will taste.

I’ve still not tried that but I want to because everyone on this thread seems to love it.

Staying in Glasgow tonight so given I'd been reading this thread I took the notion for a visit to the Pot Still. They were advertising "Gems of the gantry" with 3 cracking malts on it. A Longmorn 15 and 2 Cadenheads bottlings: 27 year old Bunnahabhain and 29 year old Glenturret. 

I tried the 2 old Cadenheads ones. The Glenturret especially was superb, sweet malty finish that went on for minutes. I also tried a 2008 vintage Deanston aged in a Bordeaux red wine cask. Easily punched above its weight.

b5ca8552ba8e41f0896bca1f04ccd717.jpg

Does anyone else have one of these. According to Master of Malt it’s discontinued. Only 2014 bottles produced so it looks like price is shooting up. Cant remember exactly what I paid for it (about £70 I think) but it’s surely worth a few quid more now.
Has anyone tried it?

b5ca8552ba8e41f0896bca1f04ccd717.jpg

Does anyone else have one of these. According to Master of Malt it’s discontinued. Only 2014 bottles produced so it looks like price is shooting up. Cant remember exactly what I paid for it (about £70 I think) but it’s surely worth a few quid more now.
Has anyone tried it?

€130+ on whiskybase

Picked up a few bottles recently and received a few as gifts from clients, built up a decent wee collection, isnt Whisky great

d935807211ccc21405ad3b0f33c06e87.jpg

Nice!

I notice you've got a bottle of Tomintoul. I received a wee gift pack of 3 different Tomintouls fir Christmas which I'm looking forward to trying. 10, 16 and 25 year olds so should be a wee treat!

Picked up a few bottles recently and received a few as gifts from clients, built up a decent wee collection, isnt Whisky great

d935807211ccc21405ad3b0f33c06e87.jpg

I take it you're partial to The Aultmore as it looks almost finished. Nice light summery whisky... If there is such a thing

Aye the Aultmore goes down really easy, wasn't sure of it to start with but i've learned never to judge a bottle on the first dram

I opened what I thought was a bottle of Aultmore 12 I got from our staff sales....turns out to be a litre[emoji106][emoji106]. A late Xmas bonus

83c2270b6927b1022b4e0f472b6f19a1.jpg

Bunnahabhain 12 was a fantastic shout. Had a few last night and really enjoyed it.

Was almost like treacle, found it to be very sweet but I actually enjoyed that and that bit more strength was quite welcome too. Didn't really get much smoke off it at all though if I'm honest.

I've been trying a lot over the past year since I spent last new year at the Scottish malt whisky society. It's been a lot of fun trying many different ones and my favourite has changed over 10 times in the last year.

At the moment the 2 I like best are the balvenie 12 doublewood like blootoon above and the glenfarclas 10. Both those distilleries do a wide variety but start to get very pricy. Is there anything I should move to next as a recommendation? I don't mind buying one expensive bottle as I won't be going out this month so I can justify it! Just want to be sure I buy something good though!

Also, is it worth paying attention to Jim Murray's whisky bible or is it a case of its just one guys view and could be completely different from mine?

It seems to me that guys like Jim Murray are honestly just shills for the highest bidder these days although I will add the disclaimer that is just my opinion. He tends to recommend absolute stinkers and some of his 'whisky of the year' winners are just downright bizarre. Maybe his tastebuds are more developed than mine or he's burnt them off over the years. :P

Expert views will always vastly differ from your own. 

Gigi is absolutely spot on about feckin’ Jim Murray. If he visits your distillery and he’s well looked after, expect a cracking review of your whisky in his bible. If you don’t treat him like God then you can bet his bible will say your whisky tastes like shit.

As before, i'm still very early in my tasting career but a few things I've found so far....
I enjoyed the Talisker Storm a lot bit not so much the Talisker Skye.
The first time i tried Laphroaig (sp?) I didn't mind it....but as I tried different whisky and went back to it, i didn't enjoy it as much.
Aberfeldy 12 is quite light and watery if that makes sense??
Cardhu Gold i really didn't enjoy.
One of the ones i have enjoyed most is Lagavulin 16, absolutely loved it.
Bowmore small batch was a very good "everyday whisky" if that makes sense? Enjoyed sharing that bottle with a few mates.

Got a highland park 12 for Xmas to get as well.