whisky lovers

Been reading the last 25 pages or so and found no mention of Chivas Regal which catches my eye every time I'm in the drinks aisle. Is it any good ?

I'm slowly getting bored of Bourbon and would like to buy a bottle of malt to get started. I love a wee nip or two on a good night out, and got a nice bottle of Haig Club for Christmas which is going down well but I appreciate it's not a traditional type whisky like the ones mentioned on the thread.

Awright lads looking for a bit of advice.

I've started to drink Whisky in the last year and have tried a few which I have liked to varying degrees. The one which I have really enjoyed though is Highland Park 12 which I'm reliably informed is a "Good all rounder".

I've enjoyed the slightly smokey flavour and was looking to branch out in to slightly more peatier whisky, although I'm conscious to add that I have tried an Arbeg 10 at a whisky tasting in the summer and it was far too much for me.

Any recommendations that anyone can think of?

21 minutes ago, Young Andy said:

I've started to drink Whisky in the last year and have tried a few which I have liked to varying degrees. The one which I have really enjoyed though is Highland Park 12 which I'm reliably informed is a "Good all rounder".

I've enjoyed the slightly smokey flavour and was looking to branch out in to slightly more peatier whisky, although I'm conscious to add that I have tried an Arbeg 10 at a whisky tasting in the summer and it was far too much for me.

Talisker is a bit more peaty than Highland park. I would recommend that if you like HP.

3 hours ago, Myko said:

Been reading the last 25 pages or so and found no mention of Chivas Regal which catches my eye every time I'm in the drinks aisle. Is it any good ?

I'm slowly getting bored of Bourbon and would like to buy a bottle of malt to get started. I love a wee nip or two on a good night out, and got a nice bottle of Haig Club for Christmas which is going down well but I appreciate it's not a traditional type whisky like the ones mentioned on the thread.

Not a fan of Chivas Regal as find it too bland now but if you like Haig you might like it,comes on offer quite a lot too. Haig club is a grain whisky so you might want to try other scottish grain whiskies. 

37 minutes ago, Young Andy said:

From the limited whiskys ive sampled, Laphroaig was very smokey/peaty and would likely match what youre after.

Takes a few sips to get used to.

41 minutes ago, Young Andy said:

I'd say Talisker is a good shout for going slightly peatier. Other lightly peated stuff would be Springbank, Oban, Old Pulteney. 

The lighter Islays would be Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Bowmore and Caol Ila. The last one is just moving up in the peat scale towards Laphroaig and Lagavulin. 

I tried that Talisker Storm last night and found it far too peppery for my liking. And with it being 45.8% it was more spicy than what I'm used to.

Talisker 10 is one of my favourites - possibly my favourite dram.

Talisker Storm was a massive let down for me, too. Tasted a bit like a rushed N.A.S batch to me.

1 hour ago, Myko said:

From the limited whiskys ive sampled, Laphroaig was very smokey/peaty and would likely match what youre after.

Takes a few sips to get used to.

If Ardbeg was too much for him, Laphroaig is a terrible suggestion haha.

I'm not really into a peated whisky, but Oban 12 is lightly peated and absolutely fantastic. Their Little Bay NAS edition is really nice as well, and I'll second/third the recommendation for Talisker 10. Probably the peatiest whisky I enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

If Ardbeg was too much for him, Laphroaig is a terrible suggestion haha.

I'm not really into a peated whisky, but Oban 12 is lightly peated and absolutely fantastic. Their Little Bay NAS edition is really nice as well, and I'll second/third the recommendation for Talisker 10. Probably the peatiest whisky I enjoy.

Laphroaig 10 is not quite as peaty as Ardbeg 10. But aye it's still a massive step from Highland Park. 

55 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Laphroaig 10 is not quite as peaty as Ardbeg 10. But aye it's still a massive step from Highland Park. 

Fair enough, I can't do heavily peated whiskies at all, and Ardbeg and Laphroaig are certainly too much for my tastes.

On a different note, what's anyone's thoughts on Glengoyne? My pal got a bottle of their 10 for Christmas, he doesn't drink whisky and has offered it to me. It's one I've never tried despite the distillery being about 20 minutes away from my house.

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Jura Superstition is marketed as lightly peated id say that probably fits the bill here as well as the others mentioned. I really like classic laddie but whilst being an Islay whisky there is no peat there so maybe not what the OP is after.

Also agree on the Bunnahabhain shout. And good for the price too.

There's not but Laddie is pretty close in profile to Springbank. They're more malty than peaty but still very different from most Highland and Speyside whiskies. I still think it's a good sideways step.

Edited by GiGi

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a complicated business.

Just try fucking everything you can get your hands on tbh. That's what I did. Still take the odd trip to the pot still etc to try something new and I order samples all the time. It's the way to go.

Thanks very much for the advice gents!

I've been keen to try Talisker but will be headed up to Skye with the Mrs in March so I've decided I'm going to visit the distillery and let that be the first time I sample it. May be a silly idea but that's what's came into my head.

Decided to pick up a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 tonight to try over the weekend.

I shall report back with my verdict.

Cheers!

Bowmore - good peaty islay whisky but less so than Laphroaig

Drinking glenfarclas105 now,  a lot of people love it and I am a glen farclas but Im not over fussed about it.

Interesting, that's next on my list.
Love the Aberlour A'Bunadh and the resident whisky expert at work recommended the Glenfarclas 105 as an alternative.

On the A'Bunadh, do the batches vary to any significant extent? Got a couple of bottles in my drinks cabinet of different batches but as I've not got a great deal of knowledge or much of a palette (I know what I like but can't really discern much from whisky) so I can't figure out how much of it is a marketing gimmick and how much of it is a genuine change in how the whisky will taste.