whisky lovers

Finished off a couple of bottles this month anticipating my stocks being refilled as usual today, but somehow ended up without a single bottle of whisky for probably the first Christmas this decade. I did receive brandy and some nice tequila, and crucially a bit of cash. Now to decide what whisky to spend that cash on to replenish my stock.

On 20/11/2017 at 20:11, Derek Patterson said:

Only noticed once I'd opened that the wifey had given me the Bourbon cask aged version of their Highland Single Malt instead. Ach well, payday later in the week so will make sure I get the proper stuff.

Well the Speyside is fairly nice.

Was getting a bottle of Jura for the old man's Christmas and bought myself an Aberlour while I was at it, which I'll crack open once I've polished off the Glen Marnoch. Me and my uncle tanned the best part of a bottle of Glenmorangie on  Christmas night, that's a lovely, smooth drink.  Some cracking deals to be had at this time of year, I might actually go back to Asda and stock up, Auchentoshan, Jura, Aberlour, Glenfiddich are all on for 25 or under

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Got a Jura 21 year old for New Years day! 

I've had a tasting of that, it's spectacular, but it'll be a special day when I can justify £100 for a bottle! Their standard 10 year old Origin is my usual choice, but I got the old man the 16 year old Diurach's Own this year, because I've never seen it at the price before. I'm hoping he invites me round when he opens it.

Tried Connemara (Irish malt, obviously) for the first time yesterday as a miniature from a 'peated malts' gift pack. Have to say that I think it's brilliant. Hint of Islay but smooth as f***. Strongly considering getting a full bottle.

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tried Connemara (Irish malt, obviously) for the first time yesterday as a miniature from a 'peated malts' gift pack. Have to say that I think it's brilliant. Hint of Islay but smooth as f***. Strongly considering getting a full bottle.

Connemara peated stuff is excellent. It's my go to when I'm over in Galway.

Irish whisky is all smooth and slightly sweet and it can get a bit boring but with the peat it just lifts it a bit.

Talking of sweet I also got an Akashi blended Japanese whisky from a well meaning aunty. Fucking rank but my grandad enjoyed and he's a VAT 69 man  so if you like your blends it's maybe worth checking out

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Was given a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold at Christmas, love the Dalwhinnie 15yo but never had this before.

Any opinions to share?

I haven't tried it but it's not favourably reviewed compared to the former, as with the majority of non age statement fodder these days. Dalwhinnie recommend drinking it with ice which doesn't bode well for single malt haha.

But as I said I haven't tried it. It might be right up your street if you like the Dalwhinnie profile. Even better when they're free.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/douglas-laing/the-gauldrons-whisky/

Got a bottle of this, which sold out within minutes when released, as a Christmas present. Very nice on first tasting.

That being said I've seen it online, so it's available! If you like a light hit of peat then it's a belter!

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That being said I've seen it online, so it's available! If you like a light hit of peat then it's a belter!

Campbeltown blend. Lovely salty, funky maritime stuff in general. I'd like to try that one. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I try and avoid the NAS stuff for the most part as I like to seek out whatever a distillery would class as their "signature" or whatever represents what they do, sort of the standard bottle, to say I have tried that distillery. Seems like NAS stuff is a move towards mass production to satisfy a bit more of a gimmicky market. That said, Classic laddie, 105, A'bunadh, and Glenfiddich project X and IPA I have really liked. Does anyone forsee a risk to the availability of the more traditional aged malts if this trend continues?

NAS does not always mean bad as you say. In general though the cheap stuff is just crap. Dearer expressions like A'Bunadh, Uigeadail and a number of superb high tier blends give you what you pay for. 

I'm sitting with 2 of the tasters I got for Christmas. The 1992 and 2002 Bruichladdich samples. Both are excellent but the 2002 is much better. Tastes like banana bread and very much like a single cask Tomatin I have. The 1992 is richer and more malty biscuits. No idea if full bottles of the stuff are available and if so where I'd even get them. 

Edited by GiGi

8 minutes ago, GiGi said:

NAS does not always mean bad as you say. In general though the cheap stuff is just crap. Dearer expressions like A'Bunadh, Uigeadail and a number of superb high tier blends give you what you pay for. 

I'm sitting with 2 of the tasters I got for Christmas. The 1992 and 2002 Bruichladdich samples. Both are excellent but the 2002 is much better. Tastes like banana bread and very much like a single cask Tomatin I have. The 1992 is richer and more malty biscuits. No idea if full bottles of the stuff are available and if so where I'd even get them. 

Both sold out. 

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/36777/bruichladdich-2002-13-year-old-twe-exclusive

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bruichladdich/bruichladdich-23-year-old-1992-the-whisky-lounge-whisky/?srh=1

When I did the your of Oban distillery in the summer they said that their NAS bottlings are geared more towards the American market who don't care so much about the age of the whisky. Auchentoshan said something similar at a tasting I did there. So I imagine that it's the case with most, and that traditional aged bottles won't be going anywhere

Picked up a bottle of The Glenrothes Vintage Reserve randomly in a liquor store in Mystic, Connecticut. I had to explain to the guy how to pronounce Glenrothes. You can imagine what his initial stab was. Anyway, it's quite lovely.