whisky lovers

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The guy who owns old signatory also owns Edradour. I find old signatory cask strength bottle selections pretty decent value. Also found you can get Gordon and Macphail stuff for not too bad a price. SMWS I have been in their bar in Leith and as much as I enjoyed their whiskies I found their bottles (always cask strength i think?) fairly above Old signatory in price.

Aye I missed Gordon & Macphail haha. Probably the biggest and best known. Also Cadenheads now I think about it. 

Yep never had a SMWS bottle for that reason myself. IBs are generally decent for most whiskies - except the defunct ones and Springbank. Springbank is just dear whatever you go after. Must be small production.

9 hours ago, GiGi said:

I mean they are primarily an independent bottler. Old Particular is one of their ranges. They just buy the spirit from distilleries and age/bottle them themselves. They also do the Provenance and Clan Denny stuff in the picture you quoted. 

Other notable indy bottlers are Hunter Laing (sister company I believe?), Signatory, Ian MacLeod (Chieftains), Scotch Malt Whisky Society etc.

Ah right that's what I thought you meant. 

If you like Bruichladddich there will be some lightning deals on Amazon later. I'll be watching the Octomore one to see if it goes low enough to tempt me (the .3s are meant to be the bollocks) and the Islay Barley. Had the Port Charlotte Islay barley (twice) and it's lovely.

First of my annual work gifts from suppliers arrived on my desk today, Glenrothes Select Reserve. Never tried it before, but being a Speyside I'm sure it'll be fairly palatable for me. I'm expecting at least 3 more bottles to arrive over the next week and a half.

9 minutes ago, Spain said:

First of my annual work gifts from suppliers arrived on my desk today, Glenrothes Select Reserve. Never tried it before, but being a Speyside I'm sure it'll be fairly palatable for me. I'm expecting at least 3 more bottles to arrive over the next week and a half.

I've had a bottle of that gifted before also. Nothing to do with suppliers though.

It was ok. Standard meh NAS bottle a la Glenlivet founders reserve etc.

Better than a kick in the stones for free though.

21 hours ago, Spain said:

Glenfarclas 105 (I'm looking forward to cracking that one open as I do like the Glenfarclas 10yo) & a Glengoyne 10 yo. Might get another 1 or 2 after these. I like Christmas-time.

If you like Bruichladddich there will be some lightning deals on Amazon later. I'll be watching the Octomore one to see if it goes low enough to tempt me (the .3s are meant to be the bollocks) and the Islay Barley. Had the Port Charlotte Islay barley (twice) and it's lovely.

Just bought a bottle of octomore 8.3. It is absolutely amazing. I normally go for quite an expensive whisky at this time of year, so I got that and a bottle of longmorn, both are excellent.

I was in Aldi and thought I'd pick up a bottle of their Glen Marnoch Speyside since I needed a new bottle and at £17, it wasn't much of an outlay if it was crap.

First night I wasn't too fond of the dram, it was a bit harsh and didn't have much in the way of flavour. But gave it another go the next night and found myself enjoying it a lot more, reminds me of a slightly mellower Aberlour. Obviously quite young, but it's definitely worth a pop at £17, much better for me than a cheap blend, but if definitely recommend leaving it 24 hours after opening, and I used a wee tad of water which I don't usually do

I was in Aldi and thought I'd pick up a bottle of their Glen Marnoch Speyside since I needed a new bottle and at £17, it wasn't much of an outlay if it was crap.

First night I wasn't too fond of the dram, it was a bit harsh and didn't have much in the way of flavour. But gave it another go the next night and found myself enjoying it a lot more, reminds me of a slightly mellower Aberlour. Obviously quite young, but it's definitely worth a pop at £17, much better for me than a cheap blend, but if definitely recommend leaving it 24 hours after opening, and I used a wee tad of water which I don't usually do

Had a bottle of sherry cask Glen Marnoch in the summer and loved it, picked up one of their 29 year old Glen Marnoch a few weeks back as a Xmas present to myself from the kids.

Had a bottle of sherry cask Glen Marnoch in the summer and loved it, picked up one of their 29 year old Glen Marnoch a few weeks back as a Xmas present to myself from the kids.
They had none of the 29 year old in stock when I was in, I'm hoping when I go in next week to get the Christmas food that they'll have a wee stock left. The Glen Marnoch seems a whole lot better than the usual supermarket "own brand" single malts

I've also treated myself to a couple of bottles. I got a Balvenie Caribbean Cask and a limited edition Bunnahabhain Moine Marsala finish.

The Balvenie is so drinkable that it's dangerous. But I didn't enjoy the Bunna as much but I think that's because I didn't put enough water in it (it's bottled at 56.6%).