whisky lovers

Was recommended the Smokehead rock edition, awaiting delivery from Master of Malt . Anyone had any dealings with any of the Smokehead products , was promised that it was as good as Lagavulin . Looking forward to opening this weekend.

On 20/11/2017 at 20:00, jamamafegan said:

Was told at work today that this whisky is actually one of the more expensive, well known single malts but just with a different name. I will find out the type of single malt it is tomorrow because I've forgotten which one it is.

In addition to that, on Saturday night me and a mate ploughed through a bottle of Talisker while watching The Doors movie. Got to bed at 5am. Good times.

I'm a bit confused, bottle says 28 yr old but someone here says its a dalmore 12 yr old?

Is it a 28 yr old dalmore

Opened the Smokehead Rock edition to taste a sweetish peaty whisky nothing like Lagavulin. Think there is a move by various distillers to get on the Peat bandwagon. Bought a Glenturret Peated whisky last year and it was very similar to the Smokehead. Have heard from some mates that Edradour are doing one too. There must be others as well, could it be that they are buying in Peated malt from the malt suppliers rather than do the traditional turning the malt by hand as a cost cutting exercise. Smokehead was drinkable but not a patch on a real Islay malt.

3 hours ago, HI HAT said:

Opened the Smokehead Rock edition to taste a sweetish peaty whisky nothing like Lagavulin. Think there is a move by various distillers to get on the Peat bandwagon. Bought a Glenturret Peated whisky last year and it was very similar to the Smokehead. Have heard from some mates that Edradour are doing one too. There must be others as well, could it be that they are buying in Peated malt from the malt suppliers rather than do the traditional turning the malt by hand as a cost cutting exercise. Smokehead was drinkable but not a patch on a real Islay malt.

Yes edradour are doing a peated one called Ballechin which is name after a defunct distillery called Ballechin just down the road from them. I think they used to do peated whisky was very strange round that neck of the woods as peat bogs werent local. Think they do it in the winter months so the smell around it doesnt waft as much for visitors.

Tobermory also do a peated one called Ledaig,I think their disitillery is shut at the moment though for a massive revamp. Edradour are also doing a significant extension but are still operable, they only churn a dozen out and half barrels per week.

Tomatin also do one called Cu Bocun. Must admit out of the 3  I found the edradour one nicest.

54 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Not many distilleries have their own malting floors anymore. 

I can only remember seeing it at Bowmore and that was for the tourists. They bought most of theirs as well.

Yeah sadly I think you are right with this, think the distilleries find they get a better consistency from outsourcing it.  

On 02/11/2017 at 11:33, GiGi said:

Some new Douglas Laing stuff to get into. Must say I'm looking forward to the Caol Ila, the best peated whisky I've had is a First Editions Caol Ila of the same age. 

2tysMKX.jpg

Pure filth to look at on a sunny morning on the Clyde Riviera. 

I see Douglas Laing won best medium sized business at the Herald Scottish Family Business awards last night. I didn't really know much about blended malts until trying some of their stuff, and was pleasantly surprised having been in the ill-informed "blend = grouse" camp. Some of their Old Particular and XOP stuff is unreal too. And I was amazed at how nice grain whisky can be after I tried an Old Particular Strathclyde I think it was, delightful!

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I see Douglas Laing won best medium sized business at the Herald Scottish Family Business awards last night. I didn't really know much about blended malts until trying some of their stuff, and was pleasantly surprised having been in the ill-informed "blend = grouse" camp. Some of their Old Particular and XOP stuff is unreal too. And I was amazed at how nice grain whisky can be after I tried an Old Particular Strathclyde I think it was, delightful!

They do single malts as well as their quirky new range of blends. A lot of it really good too.

The last grain whisky I tried was Compass Box Hedonism. Right up there with the malts Compass Box had on offer.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

They do single malts as well as their quirky new range of blends. A lot of it really good too.

The last grain whisky I tried was Compass Box Hedonism. Right up there with the malts Compass Box had on offer.

When you say they do single malts, do you mean the OP and XOP ranges? I'm sure they're in the process of building a distillery to do their own malts but didn't think they had any currently?

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

When you say they do single malts, do you mean the OP and XOP ranges? I'm sure they're in the process of building a distillery to do their own malts but didn't think they had any currently?

I mean they are primarily an independent bottler. Old Particular is one of their ranges. They just buy the spirit from distilleries and age/bottle them themselves. They also do the Provenance and Clan Denny stuff in the picture you quoted. 

Other notable indy bottlers are Hunter Laing (sister company I believe?), Signatory, Ian MacLeod (Chieftains), Scotch Malt Whisky Society etc.

Edited by GiGi

I mean they are primarily an independent bottler. Old Particular is one of their ranges. They just buy the spirit from distilleries and age/bottle them themselves. They also do the Provenance and Clan Denny stuff in the picture you quoted. 
Other notable indy bottlers are Hunter Laing (sister company I believe?), Signatory, Ian MacLeod (Chieftains), Scotch Malt Whisky Society etc.

The guy who owns old signatory also owns Edradour. I find old signatory cask strength bottle selections pretty decent value. Also found you can get Gordon and Macphail stuff for not too bad a price. SMWS I have been in their bar in Leith and as much as I enjoyed their whiskies I found their bottles (always cask strength i think?) fairly above Old signatory in price.