whisky lovers

Think it's Diageo opening it again. Same with Port Ellen. I'm assuming they'll be replicating the old stills as near to the originals as possible. 

Can't imagine that will be easy but they've enough money to throw at it.

PS any of you boys going to the Glasgow Festival at Hampden next month?

I went to the 2nd session. Was a good night, but maybe not one I will repeat in a while...took me till I went out on Sunday night to get rid of the taste of whisky.

Probably the best for me was getting a taste of the Glenflarcas 25. It's basically the 15yr x100 (or plus 10, depending on how you look at it). Will be looking about for a decent price on it.

10 hours ago, ClydeSI said:

I went to the 2nd session. Was a good night, but maybe not one I will repeat in a while...took me till I went out on Sunday night to get rid of the taste of whisky.

Probably the best for me was getting a taste of the Glenflarcas 25. It's basically the 15yr x100 (or plus 10, depending on how you look at it). Will be looking about for a decent price on it.

Aye it was decent. These nights are just a bit busy though so you don't really get much time to talk to the distillery reps about the different expressions. 

I've tried all the core Glenfarclas stuff up to and including 25 so I saved myself for new tastes. 

The best table I went to was the Compass Box one. They're premium blends and I've heard people raving about them before, also unlike most blenders they're quite up front about what's in most of them. Tried the Spice Tree, Phenomenology and No Name. The latter is mostly well aged Ardbeg and if you like your Islays it's a cracking drop. For only £100 a bottle too.. the phenomenology is £150! Eye watering but I genuinely would consider getting them for special occasions.

Aye it was decent. These nights are just a bit busy though so you don't really get much time to talk to the distillery reps about the different expressions. 
I've tried all the core Glenfarclas stuff up to and including 25 so I saved myself for new tastes. 
The best table I went to was the Compass Box one. They're premium blends and I've heard people raving about them before, also unlike most blenders they're quite up front about what's in most of them. Tried the Spice Tree, Phenomenology and No Name. The latter is mostly well aged Ardbeg and if you like your Islays it's a cracking drop. For only £100 a bottle too.. the phenomenology is £150! Eye watering but I genuinely would consider getting them for special occasions.

Looking back at my photos from Saturday I managed quite a few stalls but not the compass box one. The adelphi stall had a fair few good ones, and was surprised at their private blend. Not sure if this was due to my consumption by that time, but I've ended up with a couple of bottles, one of which I'll probably give to my mate. Depends what happens when I open the one at the weekend.

On 11/19/2017 at 17:16, Derek Patterson said:

Just grabbed one of these after reading a number of positive reviews.

Will batter into it watching the wrestling later.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky/p/068322046799902

Was told at work today that this whisky is actually one of the more expensive, well known single malts but just with a different name. I will find out the type of single malt it is tomorrow because I've forgotten which one it is.

In addition to that, on Saturday night me and a mate ploughed through a bottle of Talisker while watching The Doors movie. Got to bed at 5am. Good times.

7 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Was told at work today that this whisky is actually one of the more expensive, well known single malts but just with a different name. I will find out the type of single malt it is tomorrow because I've forgotten which one it is.

Only noticed once I'd opened that the wifey had given me the Bourbon cask aged version of their Highland Single Malt instead. Ach well, payday later in the week so will make sure I get the proper stuff.

9 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

Only noticed once I'd opened that the wifey had given me the Bourbon cask aged version of their Highland Single Malt instead. Ach well, payday later in the week so will make sure I get the proper stuff.

I think the same might apply to their other malts - I see they have an Islay malt as well so who knows, maybe it's a Lagavulin in disguise!

11 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think the same might apply to their other malts - I see they have an Islay malt as well so who knows, maybe it's a Lagavulin in disguise!

I've had the Glen Marnoch Islay one before. I don't think it's Lagavulin. Hard to say because it must be quite a young blend so I didn't pick up anything recognisable. It's possibly some lower end Bowmore casks although a bit more heavily peated IIRC.

It's also not well aged stuff so don't go in expecting a bottle of Laga 16 with a different label on it.