whisky lovers

Got a Glen Scotia 15 year old for my birthday and found it quite interesting on my first taste. Has a saltwatery type after taste which is more pleasant than it sounds.

Also got a Lagavulin 16 which I've always enjoyed. Peaty but not overpoweringly so.

Edited by The OP

Got 21 yo glenfiddich rum cask finished in the duty free. Fancied another 21 year old after the flawless glenfarclas I got and dont have a rum finish in the house so thought why not. Strangely it takes 3 or 4 seconds to get any taste at all, just as I was thinking what a bloody waste of money I got a terrific after taste. It is really nice, still think I prefer the glenfarclas though.

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I tried a Deanston 40yo today. 

One of the best whiskies I've ever been lucky enough to try.

Ooft. Must be about the oldest they have. The distillery isn't 50 yet I think.

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

The distillery turns 50 this year.

Ah sounds about right. Take it the 40 is about a grand a bottle in any case. There might be a 50yr anniversary bottling next year if they even have anything left distilled then.

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I tried a Deanston 40yo today. 

One of the best whiskies I've ever been lucky enough to try.

Didnt even know a 40 year old deanston existed, sounds delightful.

edit: just finishing off my highland park dark origins tonight, not to everyone taste but right up my street with some spice in it.

Edited by gannonball

Had a biff of my 'dessert' whiskies yesterday. Namely the Deanston 20 and Balvenie 21. Both finished in portwood. Not sure how long for the Balvenie but the Deanston was a considerable 4 years and it shows. 

The Balvenie was much better than I remember from my first few halves. Its down to the shoulder now so possibly just coming into its own. That and I've a wee bit more patience with the older ones to breath for a good 10 minutes before getting stuck in.

Went through a wee peaty phase at the start of the year but the highland/Speysides are always where my heart is. 

Actually enjoying a Glenmorangie original. A long lost bottle at the back of the bedroom wardrobe. Not had this for years . From memory I always thought that it was a bit non descipt but sitting in on a Saturday night it's actually quite enjoyable. Still waiting for Amazon to deliver my Highland Park, Monday delivery or a phone call to customer services. Cheers folks.

I'm a newbie to malts having been a predominantly red wine drinker for the best part of the last 20 years.

So I thought I'd try and start collecting a few a couple of years back so I've bought...

Aberlour 12 year old

Glenlivet founders reserve

Glenrothes select reserve

Balvennie double wood 12 year old

Glenmorangie 10 year old

Tamnavullin (no age)

Macallan gold

Talisker storm (no age - quite young I think?)

Highland park 12 year old

A couple of other bottles which I can't recall the names of, but nothing hugely expensive....

That's from memory....there's none left....turns out that I like single malts a bit too much and I'm shite at collecting.

Macallan gold and Arran 12 are probably my favourite most drinkable whiskies. Others are nicer but are too expensive to get pished on. Aberlour cherry cask is good value also. For blended grants blue isn't too bad also chivas regal.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Grantown on Spey so taking advantage of the opportunity to try some whiskies I haven't tried before.

So far I've tried the Macallan 18yo, which was nice but not amazing, and a Glenfarclas 30yo that was brilliant.

Nice. I might be heading to Craigellachie or somewhere nearby in winter so will be looking to take in a couple of distilleries if I can. 

My recent additions are a Glenfarclas 15 (excellent value, less than £50), a Benrinnes 19yr Signatory and a 16yr Tomatin Connoisseurs Choice. Have only opened the Glenfarclas as yet. 

I'm continuing my round Scotland drinkathon, tonight I'm in Mallaig and I've had some old favourites, Bowmore Darkest and Talisker Distillers Edition. Also had a Springbank 15 and a Port Askaig 19.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Springbank 15 is amazing eh?

I has Balvenie 17 doublewood this morning (nightshift worker not jakey). It was pretty good. Not sure I would lart with 80 or 90 notes though. 14 yo Caribbean Cask arguably just as nice

I love the 17. Don't really rate the rum finish on the 14 though, and I like rum so I thought I would.

The 12 double wood represents the best value out of them. I'd go 17, 12, 14 in order of preference. 

Incidentally I asked for recommendations for an American oak aged malt recently and was touted the Balvenie 12 single barrel. I'll need to give that a go at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a bottle of Uigeadail today which I've been meaning to get for a while. Was on special at the Whisky Exchange this week. Plus these wee samples of stuff I've wanted to try for a while. The Kilchoman is really nice if you like your Islays, nice and light and fresh. I'll look for a full bottle of that next month.

I've actually had blood oak before but it was just a wee taster at Glasgow airport years ago. You can't really find them about nowadays. 

vth92TI.jpg