whisky lovers

50 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

if you are counting tin ended card board tubes then aberlour a' bunadh would be my shout.

If it's a special Bruachladdich you are after then I'm sure Octomore comes in a tin.

I think most bottles from Bruichladdich come in tins. Look smashin too.

Finally got round to trying the Glenfarclas 105. Really, really good and perfectly drinkable neat even at 60% abv. 

One of my best bargains, 1 litre bottle for £35.50 plus postage means easily best bang for buck I've had.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Marks and spencer online have glenfarclas 12 for £33.

seemed like a good deal, will give it a go

It is a good deal. Pretty much the best Oloroso aged whiskies about. 

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Marks and spencer online have glenfarclas 12 for £33.

seemed like a good deal, will give it a go

Actually if you haven't bought it yet Amazon have litre bottles for £38.40. Might be better value for money if the M&S one is 700ml.

I've got more than half of mine from Amazon. They get loads of the export only bottles and their buying power keeps prices tasty to you and me. 

Actually if you haven't bought it yet Amazon have litre bottles for £38.40. Might be better value for money if the M&S one is 700ml.

Too late I bought it. Thanks though, think my next purchase will be another Arran 10.

I'm very very new to the whisky scene, having spent most of my spirit drinking years on Jack Daniels or Dark Rum.
So I've bought 3 different bottles from different areas to try and distinguish taste and what I like. I had always thought the Islay malts were my flavour, with my old man enjoying Laphroaig & Bunnahabhain as I do to while sharing with him.
So I've bought 3 readily available, supermarket shelf whisky's to open my pallette.
I've went for:

Talisker Skye
Aberfeldy 12 year old.
Cardhu gold reserve

Anyone any opinions on these?

I'm very very new to the whisky scene, having spent most of my spirit drinking years on Jack Daniels or Dark Rum.
So I've bought 3 different bottles from different areas to try and distinguish taste and what I like. I had always thought the Islay malts were my flavour, with my old man enjoying Laphroaig & Bunnahabhain as I do to while sharing with him.
So I've bought 3 readily available, supermarket shelf whisky's to open my pallette.
I've went for:

Talisker Skye
Aberfeldy 12 year old.
Cardhu gold reserve

Anyone any opinions on these?

Talisker - great. Talisker is just a great range of whisky.
Aberfeldy 12 - Meh to the max. Very light. Do not add water.
Cardhu - never tried it.

Talisker - great. Talisker is just a great range of whisky.
Aberfeldy 12 - Meh to the max. Very light. Do not add water.
Cardhu - never tried it.

I made a slight error with the Talisker I think, I was going on Holiday from Glasgow Airport and I spoke to the wee guy in the whisky shop in the duty free bit, and fancied trying the Lagavulin 16, he said they didn't have that opened to taste but he did let me try the Talisker STORM which I thought was fantastic.
I however, in my infinite wisdom, have bought Talisker Skye. Hopefully just as nice though.

I made a slight error with the Talisker I think, I was going on Holiday from Glasgow Airport and I spoke to the wee guy in the whisky shop in the duty free bit, and fancied trying the Lagavulin 16, he said they didn't have that opened to taste but he did let me try the Talisker STORM which I thought was fantastic.
I however, in my infinite wisdom, have bought Talisker Skye. Hopefully just as nice though.

They are in the same peated envelope.

Does anyone know if there are any sites I could use to price selling a bottle that I have. I used to check thewhiskyexchange.com to at least get an idea of what they sell it for, problem is that they're now out of it and have been for a year or so. The last price it was selling at was around £200 I wouldn't expect that for it, if I'm honest I'm not looking to sell it right now anyway but would just like a rough worth for it. I got a good few bottles from my uncle who lived up north, he used to get them at about £15 a bottle. As far as i know Macallan were planing on changing the bottle style, people kept lifting them by the cork and with a heavy glass bottom this ment people constantly dropping them. In the end they just decided to discontinue it rather than go through with this. I've got 2 bottles left that I plan on keeping and hopefully making a few quid on.
IMG_8266_4.thumb.jpg.592b8ecf7ac5fea081bcba01a60f053d.jpg

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com

They've got a good archive of their auctions so you could get an average.

I tend to find their prices aren't far off the mark most of the time.

Was especially glad to see the prices of their hibiki 12 year old this month, given I bought 4 bottles in January at £25 a pop.

15 minutes ago, ClydeSI said:

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com

They've got a good archive of their auctions so you could get an average.

I tend to find their prices aren't far off the mark most of the time.

Was especially glad to see the prices of their hibiki 12 year old this month, given I bought 4 bottles in January at £25 a pop.

Cheers for that seems the last time it sold was last month at £160. I plan on keeping it incase I ever desperately need money but good to have a site to check it on.

• 2 weeks later...

Update fellow fiends. 

Can see Amazon are doing Glenfarclas 25 under £100 which is the lowest I've seen it. The oldest of their range I've tried so far is the 21 which is simply superb and amazing value itself.

Anyone tried the 25 that would consider dropping 90 odd beans on it?

Their 12yo is currently £28 for a litre bottle :o

Four bottles of malt obtained over weekend

2 for my wedding anniversary

Three wood auchentosan. ( apparently stopped producing it now)

Benromach organic.

Both from whisky shop in inverurie 

Then at a charity auction on sat 

Auchentoshan American oak.

Glen grant majors reserve both bought for £50.