whisky lovers

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

I see tesco currently have aberfeldy 12yr old. £28

And aberlour double cask 12 yr old .£27.

Which of the two would you recommend

The latter. 

On 27/01/2017 at 21:34, ClydeSI said:

It was really nice. Very smooth, almost floral, and there must be whisky older than 12 years in the blend. I don't think I've tasted a "12 yr old" like it.

A 12 yo statement doesn't always mean the whisky is 12 yo. It means that there is no whisky younger than 12yo in it.

Most whiskies, including malts, are the result of mixing lots of different casks and blenders will often add some older casks to the mix.

A 12 yo statement doesn't always mean the whisky is 12 yo. It means that there is no whisky younger than 12yo in it. Most whiskies, including malts, are the result of mixing lots of different casks and blenders will often add some older casks to the mix.

I know that. Hence my comment.

Some whiskys will be mainly the age on the statement.

But the hibiki tastes like there is a decent proportion of older whisky in it.

You like it?
I picked up the Hibiki 12 in the airport and really rate it. Very floral ( smells of emulsion paint),sweet and smooth. Can't wait to finish it and then use the bottle as a decanter for water. 

I did like it. Mentioned the floral influence a few post above.

I'm a bit torn on the value though. It's not a £100/litre whisky. Whilst I got it at £25 for the 50cl, I'd be comfortable paying up to around £35.

Went back and cleared the shelves at tesco. Got 6 in total. One for me, one for my dad, and 4 to sell at a later date.

Makes perfect sense to put a premium on it at distillery shop. In Tesco it is competing with 1000 other drinks.

In distillery you have captive audience of tourists probably a bit pished after their free nips and looking for a souvenir of their day.

I'll always look for a special bottling or distillery exclusive when I visit but wouldn't be buying standard 10 yos.

Right away I'd like to put my hands up to the following crime, earlier in the thread I gave my verdict on a bottle of Loch Lomond single malt, way too peppery to be enjoyed. Finished my Balvennie double wood and all that was left in the cupboard was the Loch Lomond, desperate times need desperate measures, 100 ml of Loch Lomond mixed with and I'm sorry to admit this but a can of coke, please forgive me fellow whisky drinkers but it was the only option. Quite willing to accept any reasonable punishment. Going out tomorrow to get a more palatable bottle.
Hi hat

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Polished this off last night.  Wasn't a huge fan at first (probably because I put a single drip of water in it, which made it really sickly) but it grew on me rather quickly when neat. Would happily have again.

How's the head?

I don't really like finishing bottles of whisky but over the last few weeks I've finished bottles of Auchentoshan 3wood, Bunnahabhain 18yo and Ledaig 18yo so my cupboard was looking a little bare.

However I've just bought a Lagavulin Distillers Edition. It was reduced from £70 to £55 in Tesco. It's been years since I've tried it so am hoping it's as good as I remember. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...