whisky lovers

The Pot Still were doing 'Lochlea' as Malt of the Month at the moment - a farm distillery in Ayrshire. For a very young distillery their core whisky was quite enjoyable and I think they're doing a tasting event this evening too. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Currently reduced back to what I think was it's original price point a few years ago if your a fan...

https://www.lochfynewhiskies.com/glen-scotia-victoriana

Could it be that distillers have been feeling the pinch as a result of their recent ridiculous price increases? 

I really do worry that the insincere premiumisation will come back and bite them in the arse. 

5 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Could it be that distillers have been feeling the pinch as a result of their recent ridiculous price increases? 

I really do worry that the insincere premiumisation will come back and bite them in the arse. 

I was expecting price increases tbh as they are an energy intensive industry but the main issue for me now is when a bottle does get a good name (a'bunadh being a prime example) they just keep going up and up until they see at what point sales stagnate. Also It might be my taste buds but I find the difference between some bottlings of the same statement (aged or otherwise) can be huge. 

Edited by gannonball

38 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I was expecting price increases tbh as they are an energy intensive industry but the main issue for me now is when a bottle does get a good name (a'bunadh being a prime example) they just keep going up and up until they see at what point sales stagnate. Also It might be my taste buds but I find the difference between some bottlings of the same statement (aged or otherwise) can be huge. 

I would say thats generous. Single malt its name your price territory. 

Stuff thats gone into a cask 12 year ago hasn't been affected by energy prices of late. 

For me there's too many distilleries popping up and charging a fortune for very average spirit tarted up in expensive packaging. 

5 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

I would say thats generous. Single malt its name your price territory. 

Stuff thats gone into a cask 12 year ago hasn't been affected by energy prices of late. 

For me there's too many distilleries popping up and charging a fortune for very average spirit tarted up in expensive packaging. 

Yeah a fair point. I also can't be arsed with ridiculous boxes, 90 odd percent are tacky af and take up a ridiculous amount of space.

On 30/01/2024 at 18:05, virginton said:

The Pot Still were doing 'Lochlea' as Malt of the Month at the moment - a farm distillery in Ayrshire. For a very young distillery their core whisky was quite enjoyable and I think they're doing a tasting event this evening too. 

Assuming it was their core release? It’s pretty good. Their cask strength release, again as such a young whisky, was absolutely excellent. Was blown away by it considering age. They’re about to release first age statement, 5 year old.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Glenallachie 12yo again with the relaunch of their packaging. Subconsciously I always think distillers make sure the relaunch liquid is top drawer. 

Ive fair enjoyed it so far. Barely touched anything else on the shelf. 

• 3 weeks later...

Won this belter on the Scottish Whisky Competitions site, hoping to keep it for a few years to see the value increase (currently £300 a bottle) however I've no doubt at sometime I'll crack under the pressure to open 

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Had my first Australian whiskey last night courtesy of a boy doing samples in the supermarket - Starward Two Fold. Two years old and aged in Aussie red wine casks. Too young to have anything much about it and completely monstered by the wine, but not terrible. A very easy pass at US$35 when I can get a bottle of Dickel 8 for $32 or a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 for $38 tho. 

image.png.e5cad8a64947d7aa52a0f419abbf294d.png

I've been off it for a while. Dry Jan and dry Feb. 10 weeks off the drink. Had a drink on Monday to watch Hearts v Morton and been having one since. 

Having a few drams now. Started with a Tomintoul 10 from SMWS. Lovely, opened up last year but never thought much of it but now a couldn't put it down for a while but I moved on and opened a Balblair 11 from Cadenhead's. A sherry cask. Too sweet! Hoping it is just because it is the first drink from the bottle. Just tastes like sherry.

Going to finish off on a Balcones Rye. I love this stuff. It's like a glass of chocolate but at 69%. 

I got a couple of auction bargains last month. 

A 1Litre Ardbeg Smoketrails (Manzanilla) and a Longrow Peated. Both class and I'd struggle to pick a favourite. 

Thankfully there seems to be no end of idiots selling Longrow at a £20 loss so I'll be picking up a bottle every other month or so. 

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

I got a couple of auction bargains last month. 

A 1Litre Ardbeg Smoketrails (Manzanilla) and a Longrow Peated. Both class and I'd struggle to pick a favourite. 

Thankfully there seems to be no end of idiots selling Longrow at a £20 loss so I'll be picking up a bottle every other month or so. 

In SWA?

Mackinlay's 5 Year Old Scotch Whisky 1 Litre 1980s. Bought this last year and just opened it up.

It's from Leith and was produced for the Soviet Passenger Fleet Morpasflot.  I live down about Leith and I liked the story so I bought it.

It is a bit rough on the back of the throat but the taste is lovely. It's worth a try if you are searching for a bargain at the auctions.