whisky lovers

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ordered a bottle of the 2008 Deanston Red Wine cask. Really looking forward to getting into that.

Ma man. I've had a couple of halves out of mine. Every bit as good as when I tried it in the pub.

I'm having a bottle of Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza delivered today. Tried it at the Hampden festival a while ago and got a good price on it last month. Been waiting for stock to come in since. It's a blended malt but what an impressive blend it is.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Ma man. I've had a couple of halves out of mine. Every bit as good as when I tried it in the pub.

I'm having a bottle of Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza delivered today. Tried it at the Hampden festival a while ago and got a good price on it last month. Been waiting for stock to come in since. It's a blended malt but what an impressive blend it is.

I hope it finally extinguishes the pain of losing my Longrow Red to the wifes toddy addiction.... The Compass Box stuff has intrigued me since its first mention on here. Will def try at some point.

Glenfarclas 15 year old.

I like a sherried malt and this gets good reviews. 

Got father in law a bottle as a birthday present last September hoping he'd open it sharpish and I'd get a taste. A prolonged course of anti bionics for an ear infection and some other health problems resulted in him keeping the cork in.

I bought a bottle off Amazon a week or so back using their £10 off orders over £50 offer and used a couple of £5 vouchers I had acquired for whatever reason.

Best £30 I have ever spent, fantastic whisky and I'm still hopeful of helping father in law drink his :P

@GiGi you seem to know your shit. I’m considering buying the above bottle as it was incredibly smooth with deep, rich flavours and was just generally delightful. Before I do, do you have any recommendations of good red wine or maybe even port Cask finished whiskies or would you say go for that one?

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer61 said:

Glenfarclas 15 year old.

I like a sherried malt and this gets good reviews. 

Got father in law a bottle as a birthday present last September hoping he'd open it sharpish and I'd get a taste. A prolonged course of anti bionics for an ear infection and some other health problems resulted in him keeping the cork in.

I bought a bottle off Amazon a week or so back using their £10 off orders over £50 offer and used a couple of £5 vouchers I had acquired for whatever reason.

Best £30 I have ever spent, fantastic whisky and I'm still hopeful of helping father in law drink his :P

One of my favourites. It's also bottled at 46% so just a touch above the normal 43% of the rest of the range so it's that much punchier. I consider it a good price at £50 never mind the deal you got. I always have a bottle of it around. It goes very quickly in this hoose. 

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Had a Deanston Cask Strength Red Wine 2008 (assume this is the same one) as part of a tasting last week and it was absolutely sublime. 

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

@GiGi you seem to know your shit. I’m considering buying the above bottle as it was incredibly smooth with deep, rich flavours and was just generally delightful. Before I do, do you have any recommendations of good red wine or maybe even port Cask finished whiskies or would you say go for that one?

Yeah it's the same one. 58.7%. It is really that good and at around mid £50 ish it's probably the best red wine/port matured whisky I've tried (in that range). For reference the very best is another Deanston, 20 year old finished for the final 4 years in port casks but that was from the distillery shop and another rung up at £100. 

So I heartily recommend the 2008 Bordeux cask. The only other ones like it are a 12 year old port finished Ardmore, which I haven't tried, and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which is nice but the Deanston is still better. Their distillate is just really unique and so adaptable to different casks. The 2008 is also fully matured in the red wine cask as opposed to being a finish hence being so rich for the age. 

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

One of my favourites. It's also bottled at 46% so just a touch above the normal 43% of the rest of the range so it's that much punchier. I consider it a good price at £50 never mind the deal you got. I always have a bottle of it around. It goes very quickly in this hoose. 

Yeah it's the same one. 58.7%. It is really that good and at around mid £50 ish it's probably the best red wine/port matured whisky I've tried (in that range). For reference the very best is another Deanston, 20 year old finished for the final 4 years in port casks but that was from the distillery shop and another rung up at £100. 

So I heartily recommend the 2008 Bordeux cask. The only other ones like it are a 12 year old port finished Ardmore, which I haven't tried, and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which is nice but the Deanston is still better. Their distillate is just really unique and so adaptable to different casks. The 2008 is also fully matured in the red wine cask as opposed to being a finish hence being so rich for the age. 

Yeah think I’ll go for it then, much appreciated.

Got a bottle of Talisker Storm and a bottle of Talisker Skye. Also got quite a few miniatures. Don’t know why people keep buying them for me as they all taste like firewater to me. I quite like brandy and I dont mind a dark rum but whisky just burns right through me which is annoying as everybody else seems to love it and I feel like I am missing out.

7 minutes ago, supermik said:

Got a bottle of Talisker Storm and a bottle of Talisker Skye. Also got quite a few miniatures. Don’t know why people keep buying them for me as they all taste like firewater to me. I quite like brandy and I dont mind a dark rum but whisky just burns right through me which is annoying as everybody else seems to love it and I feel like I am missing out.

put water in it or have it on the rocks, the water brings out the taste they say, I do sometimes have a cheap whisky with green ginger and i like it a lot , nice winter drink , but it blows yer heid aff as they also say.

14 minutes ago, supermik said:

I'll have them.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
On 07/02/2018 at 19:34, Honest_Man#1 said:
Yeah think I’ll go for it then, much appreciated.

Whats your thoughts on it? I have only half one dram out the bottle so far but cant help thinking it doesnt quite match up to the Longrow Red.

I’ve not had the Longrow Red as far as I can remember but for me the Deanston is very good. Plenty of deep flavour and smoothness without an overpowering sweetness you often get with wine/port casks.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Whats your thoughts on it? I have only half one dram out the bottle so far but cant help thinking it doesnt quite match up to the Longrow Red.

Apples and oranges. The longrow is near 50% older and heavily peated. A different beast really. 

It is a bit better from what I remember but it's probably in proportion. 

I'd love to try a wine cask Deanston aged in the mid teens to see how it sits.

Also, see how it develops as you work down the bottle. Wouldn't be surprised to find you like a bit better a couple of months and a good few halves down the line.

Edited by GiGi

Apples and oranges. The longrow is near 50% older and heavily peated. A different beast really. 
It is a bit better from what I remember but it's probably in proportion. 
I'd love to try a wine cask Deanston aged in the mid teens to see how it sits.

Aye. Was only really comparing it as the only other other Red wine cask job I have had. Have to get a good few goes at it too before I pass proper judgement.

I've just opened this one which I got today.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/springbank/springbank-12-year-old-cask-strength-56-5-whisky/?srh=1

Deary me it's wonderful. I think I might have just got the last one of that batch on Master of Malt and have also ordered one of the new batch from TWE as well. Smells like maraschino cherries and a kind of salty-sweet honeycomb with the familiar funky Campbeltown malty flavour that I can only really describe as 'Campbeltown' because there's not really anything else like it. I've only ever got that nose and taste from Springbank and Kilkerran. Magical. 

If the cherry on the nose sounds oddly specific on the official tasting notes I can guarantee it actually is accurate. 

Edited by GiGi