whisky lovers

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye pretty much. A whisky purists whisky, if you will. Its more that I am interested to see what the pure taste of spirit plus bare wood which I assume is the essence of whisky, pre fucking about with sherry casks etc is.  Maybe there isnt a niche whisky genre for what Im on about. I thought there would be. 

Counter intuitively the virgin oak is not going to leave you tasting a "purer whisky" you are going to get all the sweetness, vanilla etc that the bourbon gets. It is the removal of that by the bourbon that gives whiskey more subtle flavours and requires longer maturation

Some distilleries will let you try the heart , ie the spirit that goes into the casks, I had this at Ardnamurchan. It's rough as f**k and explains why it would have been diluted with plenty water back in the day.

Certainly purists will say Sherry, port etc is faddish (although whisky would have been matured in old casks from the continent long before we could get our hands on ex bourbon casks)

I wonder if single casks are the answer as they haven't been "balanced".

I find Talisker one of the driest but also smoky so probably not what you want.

Edited by invergowrie arab

29 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Some distilleries will let you try the heart , ie the spirit that goes into the casks, I had this at Ardnamurchan. It's rough as f**k and explains why it would have been diluted with plenty water back in the day.

We got a wee taste of the pre-cask product on the tour of Caol Ila but like you say, it’s rough as f**k. Horrible.

Tasted this for the first time at the weekend.
Very smooth and too easy to drink

94ECC59D-0DE2-4A23-A05B-A9B75F45C390.thumb.jpeg.1213d7298ce210703b94980fed083156.jpeg

I'm a big fan of various Ancnocs.

The Peter Arkle Editions were not bad, but one stood out. Its been sitting in the house for over a year and I only just opened it at Xmas. Have to keep it out the way or it would get finished.

Slightly off topic but on the issue of whisky cocktails I've noticed a trend recently for specific whiskies being specified. I quite enjoy cocktails but pretty much exclusively use whichever standard blend I've got in the house (whatever is on offer at the local supermarket, currently Whyte and Mackay) as I've figured I don't want to waste good whisky on a drink I'm adding other flavours to. Is it worth using nicer whisky for these cocktails though, or is it basically a waste?

For me, it depends on the cocktail.

I use a malt for a couple of cocktails. In fact I'm messing about with trying to re-create one I have sometimes...but I should really just go back to the place that makes the cocktail and be a bit more observant.

10 hours ago, ClydeSI said:

For me, it depends on the cocktail.

I use a malt for a couple of cocktails. In fact I'm messing about with trying to re-create one I have sometimes...but I should really just go back to the place that makes the cocktail and be a bit more observant.

I'll use average malts like Glenfiddich, or decent blends, that I've been given as gifts for cocktails like an Old Fashioned where there are few ingredients and the taste of the whisky actually makes a big difference. If it's something like a whisky sour then you can use any old shite.

13 minutes ago, fraser_smfc said:

Happy birthday GiGi! Was your request granted?

Well, no. :lol: not yet anyway. 

Apparently the poor weather delayed delivery so I'll wait. And apparently it's a different one I'll like better anyway. 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I tried in the pot still last as it was MOTM a few weeks back, wasnt impressed. Love the deanston 12 though.

Same here. The 12 is my go-to in my local. Virgin Oak is, sadly, a gubbins addition to their core range. 

I've tried the 18 which is also a core bottle, as well as a 14 year old Spanish Oak bottling and 20 year old Portwood finish - last 2 at the distillery itself, both cask strength. I bought the 20 that day and still have about half of that bottle left. It's an absolute beauty.