whisky lovers

On 05/01/2018 at 19:12, Young Andy said:

Thanks very much for the advice gents!

I've been keen to try Talisker but will be headed up to Skye with the Mrs in March so I've decided I'm going to visit the distillery and let that be the first time I sample it.

I love Talisker although don’t expect to take any pics on the tour as they’re Diageo owned, hence awkward barstewards.

My advice is get the standard 10y.o. on the tour, then go and have lunch at the Carbost Inn and try a couple of the better Taliskers on the gantry (if you can afford it  :lol:). Get the wife to drive or book a room.

10 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Morrisons Bar, Stirling.

Used to be my local. Was a great pub when it first opened. Dozens of beers on tap and they even had a cheeky bottle of Yamazaki, which for a Japanese whisky was quite delicious. Seemed to have gone downhill a bit when I was last there, back in 2015.

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I love Talisker although don’t expect to take any pics on the tour as they’re Diageo owned, hence awkward barstewards.

My advice is get the standard 10y.o. on the tour, then go and have lunch at the Carbost Inn and try a couple of the better Taliskers on the gantry (if you can afford it  :lol:). Get the wife to drive or book a room.

The Distller’s Edition is brilliant and not much dearer than the 10yo.

Edited by Ziggy

I would see if they have any (affordable) distillery exclusives on the tour as , even with the discount, you can pick up standard bottling in supermarkets and certainly off Amazon cheaper.

I got 3 bottles of 57° north for under 58 quideach from Amazon last year although I see it's close to 80 quid again now.

8 hours ago, MSU said:

Here’s the whisky menu from the hotel I’m staying at in Chicago. They also have Highland Park 25 for $50 which is heavenly. Working up to asking for the Macallan 25. 

7A1373DD-8BF6-4653-B662-8570689C5F78.jpeg

Price of whisky in the states is mental. I had to lay off it for a week in New York. Even allowing for the cost of importing it 12 quid for a nip of talisker is a bit too far.

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Price of whisky in the states is mental. I had to lay off it for a week in New York. Even allowing for the cost of importing it 12 quid for a nip of talisker is a bit too far.

There’s a big city mark up too. At dinner I paid 15 for a shot of Laphroaig that I can get at home for 5. 

The Macallan 25 was beautiful.

55 minutes ago, MSU said:

There’s a big city mark up too. At dinner I paid 15 for a shot of Laphroaig that I can get at home for 5. 

The Macallan 25 was beautiful.

Might have been good but over 100 beans for one drink. That's about the maximum I allow myself to pay for a full bottle no matter how good it is! Hope you still thought it was worth it anyway.

11 hours ago, GiGi said:

Might have been good but over 100 beans for one drink. That's about the maximum I allow myself to pay for a full bottle no matter how good it is! Hope you still thought it was worth it anyway.

My co-worker picked up the tab. In term of value for money, I thought the Highland Park 25 was better. $50 for a nip of that nectar feels like charity. (Almost)

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Was going to ask the more learned on here... What would one buy to taste a truly good "plain" whisky, by that I mean no fancy NAS blend, no heavy sherry from the cask or any other fancy cask, and no smoke/peat. Just a straight up essence of whisky?

I just opened a Craigellachie 13. I like it, and it may be the closest example I can give of what I am on about. Am I making sense?

Anything aged in a refill hogshead or similar will not be overly cask influenced. That's possibly what you're after.

I'll maybe post a few later cos I'm always looking anyway.

Edited by GiGi

On 1/11/2018 at 03:00, MSU said:

Here’s the whisky menu from the hotel I’m staying at in Chicago. They also have Highland Park 25 for $50 which is heavenly. Working up to asking for the Macallan 25. 

7A1373DD-8BF6-4653-B662-8570689C5F78.jpeg

No Clan Dew, or Scotsmac.....    .

Rather poor form , that.

I realise I may not be explaining it well, it just ocurred to me that many of my favourite whiskies taste like sherry. I just want to try whatever came off the still plus whatever wood its been in for however long. I seen  Virgin Oak from Deanston. I assume that is what it says on the tin?

Correct me if I’m wrong but you are trying to find a whisky least affected by the flavour of the sherry or bourbon cask they’ve been left to mature in?

If so think it’s going to be a tough call given the majority of whiskies (I know of anyway) tend to be matured in those types of cask. I think your best bet would be to look for a young or NAS whisky. Talisker do a 6 year old which is a popular ‘young’ whisky, though have never tried it personally. Think one of Ardbegs is a 5 year old too.

A really old Islay malt might be a shout too as the the peatyness fades over time and the oak flavour kicks in but not sue how old it would need to be for the taste you want to try. Could also be a pretty expensive bottle!

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye pretty much. A whisky purists whisky, if you will. Its more that I am interested to see what the pure taste of spirit plus bare wood which I assume is the essence of whisky, pre fucking about with sherry casks etc is.  Maybe there isnt a niche whisky genre for what Im on about. I thought there would be. 

I don't really know what consists of purists whisky but refill hogs are the way to go to get a taste of the untampered character of the distillate IMO. I don't really know what distilleries or price range you're after but have at some of these.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/mortlach/mortlach-12-year-old-2005-cask-12219-old-particular-douglas-laing-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/allt-a-bhainne/allt-a-bhainne-7-year-old-2008-cask-10985-provenance-douglas-laing-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/tomatin/tomatin-21-year-old-1995-cask-13268-old-malt-cask-hunter-laing-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/deanston/deanston-21-year-old-1995-cask-12816-old-malt-cask-hunter-laing-whisky/?srh=1

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/loch-lomond/loch-lomond-21-year-old-1995-cask-12096-old-particular-douglas-laing-whisky/?srh=1

Most of them will be fairly pale natural colour, not chill filtered and bottled at generous abv instead of watered down. The Mortlach in particular might interest you if you generally like sherried stuff, Mortlach casks are generally heavily sherried to suit the rich, heavy spirit but that one is light looking. Single cask stuff will often be aged in refill barrels. 

Hopefully at least getting warmer!

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye pretty much. A whisky purists whisky, if you will. Its more that I am interested to see what the pure taste of spirit plus bare wood which I assume is the essence of whisky, pre fucking about with sherry casks etc is.  Maybe there isnt a niche whisky genre for what Im on about. I thought there would be. 

PS Deanston Virgin Oak is mince.