whisky lovers

50 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Having an aberlour abunadh right now . By f*ck I love it. Rather suprised it has lasted in my house for a good while. Got another on route from amazon delivered for 38 quid. Also same price in waitrose.

Anything under £50 is a good buy for A'Bunadh. Absolutely excellent. I like the Glenfarclas 105 as well which isn't too far away in profile and you can get a litre for about £35. Cannae beat it. 

Enjoying a wee sample of Glen Scotia 10(peated) the now. Really nice. I also tried the Kilchoman red wine cask I bought at the start of the week. Took about 20 minutes or more to open up properly but given time it was spectacular. 

This month's samples. Never tried any of these. 
The star attraction is the Glen Scotia 15 which I read some rave reviews about. 
GAt75jG.jpg

My old boy's very keen on the Brackla 12. Got him a bottle of the one up - it's a 15 or 16 - the last time he was over but he didn't spark it while he was here. Dick.

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

My old boy's very keen on the Brackla 12. Got him a bottle of the one up - it's a 15 or 16 - the last time he was over but he didn't spark it while he was here. Dick.

Anytime I give someone a bottle, I get annoyed if they don't spark it there and then. Especially if it's one I haven't tried.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Anytime I give someone a bottle, I get annoyed if they don't spark it there and then. Especially if it's one I haven't tried.

Aye. I took a bottle over to a mate in Germany for putting me up for a weekend. Bottle was open about 20 seconds after I handed it to him. 

Good lad, him.

Anything under £50 is a good buy for A'Bunadh. Absolutely excellent. I like the Glenfarclas 105 as well which isn't too far away in profile and you can get a litre for about £35. Cannae beat it. 
Enjoying a wee sample of Glen Scotia 10(peated) the now. Really nice. I also tried the Kilchoman red wine cask I bought at the start of the week. Took about 20 minutes or more to open up properly but given time it was spectacular. 

I've heard people rave about the 105 but the bottle I have got of it is nothing special I thought,prefer abunadh as its more of a sherry bomb. I do have the 12,15 and 21 of Glenfarclas and love the uniqueness of each one. Need to try another Kilchoman as the one I got tasted almost grassy,was nice enought but I expected more.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Anyone had the 12yo Auchentoshan? Cheapest one out here in Canada so thought it was worth a whack.

Yeah it was one of the first whiskies I drank. It's really light (some would say bland), it's also unusual for a scotch as it's distilled three times rather than the usual twice.

I prefer the Auchentoshan 3wood as I think the additional maturation adds a bit more character and depth.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Anyone had the 12yo Auchentoshan? Cheapest one out here in Canada so thought it was worth a whack.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah it was one of the first whiskies I drank. It's really light (some would say bland), it's also unusual for a scotch as it's distilled three times rather than the usual twice.

I prefer the Auchentoshan 3wood as I think the additional maturation adds a bit more character and depth.

Agreed the 12 is good and 3 wood is better.  The 3 wood was the first malt whisky I tried that I liked and encouraged me to try more. Before that a bad experience with some shite blend put me off for years. 

58 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Auchentoshan American Oak is often really cheap and tbh I think its really good. Regularly pick it up for 20 notes in Tesco and its well worth that. I've liked all Auchentoshans I have tried.

The American oak is the only Auchentoshan I've tried that I just don't like. Tastes too harsh and grainy. Mostly just too young. 

I found some 28 year old Signatory Glenturret today. 2 different numbered casks, bought 2 of one and one of the other. They were a really good price hence dropping a fair wedge on all 3 bottles at the one time. They'd be the oldest whisky I've tried to date too. 

Auchentoshan American Oak is often really cheap and tbh I think its really good. Regularly pick it up for 20 notes in Tesco and its well worth that. I've liked all Auchentoshans I have tried.

Had a little sample and it tastes pleasent enough, I can see what you mean by the potentially bland comment though. Much better than what I was expecting for the price.

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

The three wood isn't produced anymore.

32 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Are you sure, when did they stop?

I might buy a couple to put away.

I'm not sure where you've heard that but I certainly can't find any reference to it. Three Wood is still on their website under their core range.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Someone make me a recommendation. Don't know what to buy to replace it.

Hazelburn 10 - same distillery and same funky taste just not peated

Kilchoman Machir Bay or Loch Gorm - peated but not a smoke monster, still light. 

All around or under the £50 mark too. Buy the wife Grouse. Hide the rest.