whisky lovers

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Just how smoky is the Octomore? 

Quite briny. Not too smoky/peaty like a Lagavulin or Laphroaig really but it's a handful. Cask strength at a nip off 60% while it's good neat I'd maybe be tempted to put a few drops of water in to see how it opens up. Not sure it's much better than some other Bruichladdich peated stuff like their Port Charlotte range to justify the massive hike in price if you were to buy a full bottle. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I could be wrong but isn't Octomore the stuff the make a big deal about being mega smoky? Or is that just some releases of it. I was ponly intrigued to try it because I expected that it was miles more smoky than anything else there is. Won't bother now I reckon.

Not this one anyway. That's the 7.1. I think technically they are more heavily peated (see 'ppm') but the finished product doesn't taste too much more so. I would warn off buying a bottle but still have a bash if you see it behind a bar.

Best peated whisky I have is a 7yr indie bottle of Caol Ila.

5 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Was in aldi yesterday, I have always been curious about thier glen marnoch range, anyone tried it is it a good drop for the price 

They have Sherry cask stuff was going to give a shot

I've got an unopened bottle of this in the cupboard that the wife bought for me, I had fancied trying the Sherry cask one but that's not the one she picked up. The way I see it is for what it costs it's worth trying, if it tastes decent brilliant and if not it'll be used for making cocktails.

7 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Was in aldi yesterday, I have always been curious about thier glen marnoch range, anyone tried it is it a good drop for the price 

They have Sherry cask stuff was going to give a shot

Had the Glen Marnoch Islay one as a gift before. Decent enough. Will be quite young but is a step up from your standard cheap blends.

Tamnavulin double cask is a lovely drop, was on offer for £19:99 in the local shops malt of the month, saw it in Tesco for £32:00 last week. Half way through a bottle of Macallan gold right now to be honest I preferred the Tamnavulin double cask, enjoy.
Hi hat

Made a bit more headway with the Tamnavulin last night. Got a slightly smokey flavour, not strong, but more than I would expect from a speyside. I moved onto the 12 year old Old Pulteney and thought it was quite a bit better. Still enjoying the Tamnavulin but I think if I've £30 or so to spend on whisky I would pick something like an Old Pulteney instead.

On 02/10/2017 at 14:30, Bairnardo said:

Bunnahabhain 12 procured for my birthday. Not sure when Mrs B will permit me to wire in though as my birthday isnt for a couple of weeks yet. Excited.

I also got a Bunnahabhain 12yo for my upcoming birthday.

I've opened it already. 

I know it's all a matter of taste but imho it's one of the best 12yo whiskies you can get.

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

http://kilchomandistillery.com/whisky-shop/single-malt-whisky-liqueur/red-wine-cask-matured

Managed to bag one of these about half an hour ago. They were on sale for all of about 3 minutes before they sold out.

It looks like a lot to pay for such a young whisky however I've been impressed any time I've tried anything from Kilchoman.

I've not tried that specific one but I was amazed at the quality of the Port Wood finish and that was a similar age. (Maybe even younger)

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

It looks like a lot to pay for such a young whisky however I've been impressed any time I've tried anything from Kilchoman.

I've not tried that specific one but I was amazed at the quality of the Port Wood finish and that was a similar age. (Maybe even younger)

They seem to be churning out high quality whisky regardless of age. It's more expensive than the average 12-15 year old bottles but then look at Octomore which is considerably higher up in price again for mostly 5-10 year old expressions.