whisky lovers

8 hours ago, GiGi said:

Some distilleries are just cheaper. Glenfarclas make even their old bottles cheap as chips relative to some of the bigger names because they want people to drink it and not sit it on a shelf waiting or hoping for it to accumulate value. 

Once you get over the £100 mark it's diminishing returns for what you pay. Depending on your tastes a 25 year old Glenfarclas at about an eighth of the price of the equivalent Macallan might be better for you. Pricing is a funny game with whisky.

So tonight after a few glasses of wine at my parents house, my father decided to start a wee tasting session. Started off with a Scapa "The Orcadian", then a 10yo Glenfarclas, then a Singleton Tailfire. I'd heard good things about both the Scapa and the Tailfire but I've got to be honest (and I know I bang on about it all the time) but the Glenfarclas, despite being a 10, was far better than them both IMO. I'm definitely going to buy some older Glenfarclas' out of interest because bang for your buck it's in a league of it's own IMO.

He was going to treat me to more, but my phone rang because I'd drunkenly forgotten I was supposed to be getting a Tesco delivery at my own house so I had to run home :lol:

4 minutes ago, Spain said:

So tonight after a few glasses of wine at my parents house, my father decided to start a wee tasting session. Started off with a Scapa "The Orcadian", then a 10yo Glenfarclas, then a Singleton Tailfire. I'd heard good things about both the Scapa and the Tailfire but I've got to be honest (and I know I bang on about it all the time) but the Glenfarclas, despite being a 10, was far better than them both IMO. I'm definitely going to buy some older Glenfarclas' out of interest because bang for your buck it's in a league of it's own IMO.

He was going to treat me to more, but my phone rang because I'd drunkenly forgotten I was supposed to be getting a Tesco delivery at my own house so I had to run home :lol:

Aye Im really warming to glenfarclas, they are really well priced, as mentioned before if you fancy splashing out a bit more you can get the 21 yo for 70 quid. Cant really get any established distillerys for that at that price at all, and its marvellous.

Yeah the whole range is excellent if you like Speyside malts in general. The 10 and 12yo are not that cheap really but they are better than older whiskies that are dearer again. The real value lies in the 17 upwards imo. I haven't tried the 30 but I'd love to give that a bash if I get a decent coupon up haha.

22 hours ago, ClydeSI said:

If anyone has a spare £100 or so, here's a chance to have a taste of lots of rarities.

It was on my radar last month, but I bought a bottle of Chieftans Ardbeg 20 yr old for really special occasions instead, so won't be going.

https://whiskyshow.com/glasgow/dram-list/

Looks fun but £50 entry - good ain.

I'm tempted to make my own version where I take a hundred quid to the bon accord or pot still and just treat it as whisky tokens other than money.

Had an Octomore again last night. I absolutely love it but going to keep it as an occasional aperitif nip when out and about, couldn't drink it in the house.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Before Christmas my daughter asked what kind of whisky I liked. Anything except Whyte & Mackay I said, stupidly forgetting that I can't stand US whiskeys.

I've now got a bottle of Benchmark 8 year old bourbon. Any suggestions for a mixer to make this stuff palatable? I was thinking along the lines of Ginger Ale. Might need to go down the Tizer or Red Cola route if that doesn't work...  

Before Christmas my daughter asked what kind of whisky I liked. Anything except Whyte & Mackay I said, stupidly forgetting that I can't stand US whiskeys.
I've now got a bottle of Benchmark 8 year old bourbon. Any suggestions for a mixer to make this stuff palatable? I was thinking along the lines of Ginger Ale. Might need to go down the Tizer or Red Cola route if that doesn't work...  

Whyte & Mackay?

Double dunt! [emoji39][emoji6]

Only use for bourbon in my book is an old fashioned.

Is aberfeldy a yey or ney?

got given the 12 as a pressie. Im sure Ive had it before but I cant remember if I liked it or not. It was either that or the Glenrothes I wasnt a fan of but I think it was the latter. Dont know whether to open it or not or keep as a shit gift to someone.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was on the Yamazaki last night. 12 yo and distillers edition.

I didn't want it to be true but both are absolutely superb. Straight into the top half dozen.

Yamazaki is the nicest Japanese whiskey I've tried and I think it's at least as good as most malts, pricey though.

I tried some Thai Whiskey the other night, ouch.

Yamazaki is the nicest Japanese whiskey I've tried and I think it's at least as good as most malts, pricey though.
I tried some Thai Whiskey the other night, ouch.

I've still yet to try a Japanese whiskey. How do they compare to ours?

Not sure I'm interested in a Thai one following that post. Was it bad?

My old granda' used to always say "There's no such thing as bad whiskey, just some are better than others".

Now I'm not so sure.

I've still yet to try a Japanese whiskey. How do they compare to ours?

Not sure I'm interested in a Thai one following that post. Was it bad?

My old granda' used to always say "There's no such thing as bad whiskey, just some are better than others".

Now I'm not so sure.

Japanese whiskies tend to be very smooth, and are often sweetish. I'm very impressed by the Hibiki as well. I recommend a gamble.