Islam Feruz

Does David Marshall count as someone who "never reached their potential"?

Man of the match performance at the Nou Camp at 19 before ending up a Championship standard goalkeeper

No. If anything he's a superstar in Scottish terms. Played in the EPL, Scottish international, linked with big money moves a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 14:02, SlayerX said:

Yet another player who could've went far, 

:lol:

Composed by the chap who reckons he's ten times better with words, than all the other posters put together.

Slayer really is quite something.  If he means it, it's actually quite alarming.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 26/06/2017 at 21:41, SlayerX said:

I'd agree with this.

Yes, he had one magnificent match against Barcelona when he was a teen, but so did Tony Watt. I don't think Watt will have half the career that Marshall had. 

So yes, I do think David Marshall fulfilled his potential. Let's be honest, no one thought that he was going to be the next Peter Schmeichel or anything.

I'd say David Marshall made the very most of his relatively limited ability.  

[emoji38]

Composed by the chap who reckons he's ten times better with words, than all the other posters put together.

Slayer really is quite something.  If he means it, it's actually quite alarming.

Come on now MT, he's gone, let it go. You can't lure him back in with last-minute emotional blackmail proof reading. We're all suffering with broken hearts but there are plenty more fish in the sea. Just as we found a way to move on post-Dryhorce, so too, can we learn to live again PS (post-slayer)...

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Come on now MT, he's gone, let it go. You can't lure him back in with last-minute emotional blackmail proof reading. We're all suffering with broken hearts but there are plenty more fish in the sea. Just as we found a way to move on post-Dryhorce, so too, can we learn to live again PS (post-slayer)...

I'll admit to a gentle obsession.

I tangled with him on the remarkable 'Brexit will mean we can't play in European Championships' thread and I've been following his P&B career.  This thread was referenced elsewhere and it's been well worth a visit.   

I'm not quite clear about what exactly is going on.  

Perhaps he'll return in a glorious blaze of telling us all how stupid we are; or perhaps, as you say, it's gone.

On 26/06/2017 at 19:10, RandomGuy. said:

Does David Marshall count as someone who "never reached their potential"?

Man of the match performance at the Nou Camp at 19 before ending up a Championship standard goalkeeper

I get what you are saying but Marshall was never really spoken about when he was coming through the youth ranks. He still is an outstanding shot stoppper but lacks any command at all which was always going to hinder him. I am surprised though that he has spent the majority of his career in the championship and and not the premiership. 

• 3 months later...

He 'earned' a new long term deal in 2014, and signed a further contract extension in January 2016. Transfermrkt and Chelsea's wiki say he won't be out of contract until summer 2019 when he'll be turning 24.

What a life he must have, banking £10,000 every week (at a guess) for doing square root of f**k all.

2 hours ago, GeeJay said:

He 'earned' a new long term deal in 2014, and signed a further contract extension in January 2016. Transfermrkt and Chelsea's wiki say he won't be out of contract until summer 2019 when he'll be turning 24.

What a life he must have, banking £10,000 every week (at a guess) for doing square root of f**k all.

Chelsea recoup the money taking fees for his loan spells it's what they do. There youth system has sweet feck all to do with bringing players through its to make Money.

• 11 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 23:04, BigFatTabbyDave said:

So...what's our boy up to these days?

Asking mainly out of morbid curiosity at this point.

^^^ what this guy said.

Presumably his contract's up at the end of the season. Where now for man raised by puffins?

On 10/24/2017 at 08:51, kenny131 said:

Chelsea recoup the money taking fees for his loan spells it's what they do. There youth system has sweet feck all to do with bringing players through its to make Money.

This

Chelsea's youth system should really be re-named Uncle Roman's Player Leasing Service

On 23/07/2017 at 15:06, gannonball said:

I get what you are saying but Marshall was never really spoken about when he was coming through the youth ranks. He still is an outstanding shot stoppper but lacks any command at all which was always going to hinder him. I am surprised though that he has spent the majority of his career in the championship and and not the premiership. 

For a while he was Scotland's best goalkeeper and was well regarded down south despite playing in a struggling team. I genuinely thought that the likes of Arsenal (who were struggling in the goalkeeper department at this point) should have signed him. At one point both Arsenal and Spurs were interested in signing him.

On 6/26/2017 at 23:32, Scary Bear said:

No. If anything he's a superstar in Scottish terms. Played in the EPL, Scottish international, linked with big money moves a couple of years ago.

I think he made the most of his talent, which is actually pretty unusual for Scottish players.  If anything he made more Scotland appearances than I would have expected, especially considering he came up during the Shagger/Gordon era.  He was always the lesser of those three in terms of talent.  I'd definitely say he made more of his talent than Gordon did, although injury had a lot to do with that.

On 10/20/2018 at 08:58, Comrie said:

Has he ever even scored while on loan?

He's never scored a senior goal at all.

Also, this talk of Chelsea making a profit out of sending players out on loan - surely they haven't, in his case. They've been paying him for seven years and, forgetting about the amusing 24-hour loans, he's amassed the following:

• Four months at OFI Crete, Hibs, and Mouscron
  • A month at Swindon
  • Couple of weeks at Blackpool

If he's been anything other than a money sink for Chelsea, they must literally have been paying him peanuts, or the aforementioned clubs have undisclosed wealth they're trying to cover up. I'd suggest they could use some better financial advisors, if it's the latter.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He's never scored a senior goal at all.

Also, this talk of Chelsea making a profit out of sending players out on loan - surely they haven't, in his case. They've been paying him for seven years and, forgetting about the amusing 24-hour loans, he's amassed the following:

• Four months at OFI Crete, Hibs, and Mouscron
  • A month at Swindon
  • Couple of weeks at Blackpool

If he's been anything other than a money sink for Chelsea, they must literally have been paying him peanuts, or the aforementioned clubs have undisclosed wealth they're trying to cover up. I'd suggest they could use some better financial advisors, if it's the latter.

But they're not saying they're making a profit on sending every player out on loan.  They send a ridiculous number out, probably a lot of the higher profile ones with monthly fees and/or wage contributions.  Those ones will probably subsidise the rest.  Decent enough strategy from Chelsea, they can let players develop at other clubs while owning ultimate ownership, either with a view to selling further down the line for more money, or keeping them when they turn out good.  Some will work, some won't.  Feruz definitely hasn't.