Roberto Martinez

Marshmallo

This is my view as well. He's kind of like the manager equivalent of Guillem Balague. If his name was John Smith and he had a brummy accent he'd be out on his arse.

You don't think keeping shit like Wigan, playing in front of half empty stadiums in a soulless shell at home and with a tiny budget, in the EPL twice in a row is achieving something?

What should he be doing? Guiding them to the Europa League?

They take in millions and dick about in the Hamilton and Kilmarnock squads for new players. I'm surprised they aren't even worse to be honest.

Actually, I take it back. Their wage bill is somehow 40 million!!!!! That will be way more than the promoted clubs and comparable to Bolton and co. So, yeah, that puts things more in perspective...

How the hell are they spending anything close to that?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a shite manager in charge of a shite team that play for a shite club. They bring absolutely nothing to the EPL table and the quicker they're down the better. His nationality is the only reason some on here thing he's good, what bollocks !

I think considering some of the shite in that squad (admittedly shite that he signed) he's done well to keep them up twice. I still think he should have jumped ship to Villa when he could, he's got nothing left he can really prove at Wigan, eventually his luck will run out, they will get relegated and he'll struggle to get another Premiership job.

Actually, I take it back. Their wage bill is somehow 40 million!!!!! That will be way more than the promoted clubs and comparable to Bolton and co. So, yeah, that puts things more in perspective...

They're spending it because Martinez has primarily signed utter dross and is failing to get anything out of the players who were already there. Mauro Boselli cost them in the region of £7m and will be on a good wage, and I bet people (myself included) would be shocked at what players like Caldwell, Di Santo and Figueroa are on.

I think he's an OK manager but his signings are absolutely awful! He brings in players no where near good enough. He wants to play sexy football but brings in players incapable of it. He needs someone to score goals and gas never gone out and signed one!

The Icelandic lad Swansea just signed was a great bit of business.

I was basing my praise of him on the fact Wigan are the smallest club in the league, and that he has kept them in the league two seasons running. That coming off the back of winning League 1 with Swansea and then remaining competitive in the Championship.

I also assumed that they would have the smallest budget in the league in each of the last two seasons, or at least only a larger one that Burnley (09/10) and Blackpool (10/11).

If they are genuinely paying £40m a year on wages, that is 30 people on an average of £25k a week, which is a hell of a lot. How does that compare to other clubs? Is it a situation like Killie where staff for all the other assorted facilities at the DW Stadium are included?

If they are genuinely paying £40m a year on wages, that is 30 people on an average of £25k a week, which is a hell of a lot. How does that compare to other clubs? Is it a situation like Killie where staff for all the other assorted facilities at the DW Stadium are included?

Must be. Ironically I believe they were actually the highest spenders in the league, per employee!

http://www.telegraph...ary-league.html

This article mentions a 20 million wage bill. Yet an article from last year talks about their wage bill being £39 m.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/1211608-wigan-athletic-report-losses-of-over-%C3%827-million.html

They buy a lot of south americans and other foriegners to try to sell them for profit. Guys like Rodallega will surely be on 25k a week. Caldwell prolly 15-20k easily. Figeroua prolly 15-20k tae.

Boaby Martinez was one of the worst players I have ever seen

I'm kind of in-the-middle with regards to the Roberto Martinez debate. He's done very well with Wigan on a presumably very-small budget, and they've been in the Premiership for a number of seasons on that budget, so he should receive praise for that.

However, some of his signings must be questioned. Namely the Caldwell brothers, to be honest. There must be (well, there are, of that there's no doubt) better defenders out there, even in the Championship, and if that's the best defenders Wigan and Martinez can attract, then there's understandably questions which need to be asked.

He's a decent manager, nothing more really. He just has, as others have mentioned, a certain charm about hin. I really like listenening to him and he is always honest. I think he could become a really good manager at a bigger club, cause I don't think theres a manager out there who can take Wigan to the next level and tbh when they get relegated it will be a good day for the PL, bring nothing to English football really.

Wigan's budget will be tiny, and they sell their best player most seasons. He must have brought in millions for them.

They shouldn't be anywhere near the PL. And hopefully will return to the English seaside leagues soon.

Because they live within their means? blink.gif

Please also take back my previous response to you. 40 Million???????????? 'kin hell

Because they live within their means? blink.gif

Eh, they don't live within their means, at all. They make regular losses, bailed out by Dave Whelan's generosity. They are tens of millions in debt to him.

They are a club who offer nothing but grim survival every year, with no prospect whatsoever of increasing their fanbase or ever improving.

They won't be missed when they return to League One. Give me Southampton or West Ham please.

Eh, they don't live within their means, at all. They make regular losses, bailed out by Dave Whelan's generosity. They are tens of millions in debt to him.

They are a club who offer nothing but grim survival every year, with no prospect whatsoever of increasing their fanbase or ever improving.

They won't be missed when they return to League One. Give me Southampton or West Ham please.

I agree with what you say but I have a soft spot for Wigan and hope they stay up every year just because I know how much it pisses people off.

Give me plucky little Wigan over Wolves, Villa, WBA, or Birmingham everything about those clubs is dull and unwatchable

Martinez is a Jack b*****d.

But the good thing about Wigan is that if you ever fancy a trip to see one of the big Premiership teams Wigan is your best bet in terms of getting a ticket (if you arent a member or whatever of the big club) and it's on the West Coast Mainline so easy to get to.

• 1 month later...

Archived