Out of date food

jester

A guy in our work keeps stuff long after it's use by/ best before dates. I had a clear out some time back but had a look the other day and there is half a bottle of brown sauce there, dated June 2010. What is the oldest, most out of date food you can find in your cupboard?

Photos would be nice... :blink:

In my girlfriends flat I think it was a jar of mayonnaise that was 6 months past its date.

In my mums house I found a tin of peas that were 2 years out of date.

I never eat anything that is out of date. My stomach isnt great on the best of days never mind scoffing out of date food.

In my girlfriends flat I think it was a jar of mayonnaise that was 6 months past its date.

In my mums house I found a tin of peas that were 2 years out of date.

They're different. I'd eat the peas but I wouldn't risk the mayo. They're opened tins of corned beef from WW1 and eaten the contents. Anything containing milk is liable to go off in a dangerous way.

I'm always being informed by the missus that the dates on food stuff doesn't matter as long as it hasn't been opened. I'm still here, so she has a point

They only don't matter if it's is a "Best Before", as the clue is in the name... if it says "Use By" then it most certainly matters, even to the point where it is illegal to sell eggs within a week of their use by date. :rolleyes:

The only things mentioned on this thread so far that were a problem would be the mayonnaise and the stock powder.

Just ate a 3 egg omelette with eggs that were best before 30th of January, nae bather.

Best before dates are taffee, use your own opinion and don't waste shit. People who throw things away just because they see the date has gone on it boil my piss.

I made a packet of custard mix the other night that went out of date in 2006. It was absolutely fine.

My gran was clearing out her cupboards a couple of years back and some of the stuff in there was older than me. One thing that springs to mind was a tin of peaches that went out of date in 1985. My grandpa tried to argue the point that as long as its in a tin and sealed air tight it'll be fine. They really weren't.

Some jolly prankster in my work left an unopened box containing 30 packets of Bikers crisps sitting in the canteen for everyone to have. I grabbed a packet on the way out the door one friday, put the first crisp in my mouth and was nearly sick on the spot. They were dated 1997.

I undertake 3 tests on food which has past its use by date.

1. The visual test.

Look for signs of mould etc.

2. The sniff test.

Give it a quick sniff to see hiw it smells.

3. The taste test.

Try a wee sample.

If it passes all 3 tests, it gets eaten.

Still have my 100% success rate with the 3 test rule. Never eaten anything dodgy.

I've got a tin of Alphabeti Spaghetti in my cupboard but I think it's past it's spell by date.

I opened a can of that once and it only contained the letter O's

when i was young i was looking in the freezer and found a load of stuff that was out of date so i put it in the bin.Maw wasnt best pleased.

I bought a bottle of robinsons at the crappy little shop near me and it tasted a bit funky so when i went to check the date it was scored out with black marker! Pete sampras on the label should have gave it away.

Archived