Jobs

Tryfield

Time for me to get the CV re-draughted, I've finally got round to going back in to education, studying a hnc in mechanical engineering this year. Unsure if I will go on to HND afterwards or look for a job. I'm going to fire my cv out and see if I can get some relevant work alongside it, anyone know of engineering firms around perth/fife that would suit? I plan on shifting up to Aberdeen once I get through the course, since all the money is up there.

I know this is fairly late and is probably irrelevant but most oil and gas companies only require you to have the HNC. The bigger company's like BP look for degrees but you can still earn decent coin onshore at your GE's, NOV, Weatherford etc.

That site is dreadful. You have to sit and type out every single fucking thing that's on your CV. Why don't they just have an uploader tool!?

Whoa buddy, don't shoot the messenger.....

That's probably just enough time to fill in the numerous needless amounts of questions!

It's just another way to whittle down the numbers from the thousands that apply, as much as a spelling mistake and your application is binned.

It's worth persevering with it for the 45k at the end of it though ☺

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My work O-I (the glassworks in Alloa) are looking for engineers. Think they are looking for mould shop fitters, hot end fitters and cold end fitters. They are listed as internal vacancies but that doesn't count for much as they are desperate for the bodies. For the hot end fitters jobs they take in car mechanics to fill the gap as the struggle to get engineers. It would be worthwhile firing off a cv to the HR department or if in the area going into the gatehouse and asking for a application form. Although make sure you get the O-I form and not the Search agency one.

My work O-I (the glassworks in Alloa) are looking for engineers. Think they are looking for mould shop fitters, hot end fitters and cold end fitters. They are listed as internal vacancies but that doesn't count for much as they are desperate for the bodies. For the hot end fitters jobs they take in car mechanics to fill the gap as the struggle to get engineers. It would be worthwhile firing off a cv to the HR department or if in the area going into the gatehouse and asking for a application form. Although make sure you get the O-I form and not the Search agency one.

I got offered a start there around this time last year but turned it down for something closer to home - if anyone gets an interview send me a message and I can let you know what to expect.

Train driver would be great I wonder what the tests are like? Also the short term shifts and weekend working could end up being shit. Does that mean you're on call 24/7? Surely tired drivers is a bad thing?

Train driving is far from great, it's fucking shit.

Apart from the wages obviously.

An old drinking buddie of mine applied for a job driving trains during the building of the channel tunnel. He said on his application that he used to drive the trains down the pits. He had only ever sat on the back of them a few times.

He got the job, earned a fortune and pissed it all away. :lol: