The Wire

BradHorse

Aye I kinda worded that wrong. Wasn't meaning to discredit anyone based on subjective opinion, I just have seen all the shows that regularly make the top of people's GOAT lists and for me it's not even close. 

I loved The Sopranos, I loved Breaking Bad, I loved The West Wing, et al. The subtle genius of The Wire and the realism blows them all away for me.

Favourite scenes from The Wire?

The 'f**k' scene from season 1 where Bunk and McNulty solve a murder over the course of like 4 or 5 minutes using only variations of f**k to denote their thinking is definitely one of my favourites.

Omar and Brother Mouzone meeting in series 3 - "I don't see no sweat on yo' brow ne'eder bro".

Avon and Stringer looking over Baltimore harbour sipping whisky after they've both fucked each other over is perhaps my favourite. The acting is just spot on and the writing and build up to the moment was nigh on flawless.

One of the things that I think sets The Wire apart from the other great shows is the lack of music in it. The only music in the show happens organically via a car stereo or something, so when these big moments happen I feel like I've just got to the last few pages of a chapter of an epic book. It has a real 'novelistic density' to it as someone whose name I can't remember mentioned on Charlie Brooker's review on The Wire.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I think my favourite scene is when McNulty decides he didn't quite crash his car right and goes for a second attempt :lol:

Hahaha.

Aye that's a belter. 

Omar in the courtroom is just about as good as it gets. Loved the Stringer and Avon confrontation where Stringer confesses he was responsible for D'Angelo's murder, brilliant intensity.

Bunk burning his clothes in the bath :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say... on the back of the discussion on this thread I went and rewatched The Sopranos. It's great, no doubt about it. But I'm just beginning the 6th season and the quality difference is really evident. In The Sopranos if Tony is going into some hairy situation or something there's always this shot of him cocking his gun which literally has no advantage in terms of shooting other than the fact that it's good for TV, in The Wire you're just supposed to know that people have guns. The Sopranos is really good. I enjoy(ed) it a lot... but in terms of actually challenging the viewer to understand the plot and dialogue and characters and realism it's frankly not even close. The only thing that ever came close to The Wire for me was the first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones and coincidentally enough they were lifted from a book. The Wire rewards you for paying attention and treats its audience as if they're intelligent.

I honestly just don't know how people can watch The Wire and not think it's in an absolutely different league to everything ever shown on TV or indeed film.

It finished well over a decade ago so I guess I should stop fanboy'ing over it but it really is just that fucking good.

On 19/04/2017 at 04:27, BradHorse said:

I gotta say... on the back of the discussion on this thread I went and rewatched The Sopranos. It's great, no doubt about it. But I'm just beginning the 6th season and the quality difference is really evident. In The Sopranos if Tony is going into some hairy situation or something there's always this shot of him cocking his gun which literally has no advantage in terms of shooting other than the fact that it's good for TV, in The Wire you're just supposed to know that people have guns. The Sopranos is really good. I enjoy(ed) it a lot... but in terms of actually challenging the viewer to understand the plot and dialogue and characters and realism it's frankly not even close. The only thing that ever came close to The Wire for me was the first 4 seasons of Game of Thrones and coincidentally enough they were lifted from a book. The Wire rewards you for paying attention and treats its audience as if they're intelligent.

I honestly just don't know how people can watch The Wire and not think it's in an absolutely different league to everything ever shown on TV or indeed film.

It finished well over a decade ago so I guess I should stop fanboy'ing over it but it really is just that fucking good.

I feel you man, I've watched it roughly about 5 times and it really is a class above.

• 3 weeks later...

#WIREWEDNESDAYS

No surprises my weekly watch has went to pot again and I've gotten ahead. Trying to not binge and only watching one episode in a sitting though so I can still try and digest it to some degree.

Currently 10 episodes into series 3 and I have no idea why I ranked this series in 3rd place so definitively. It's great. As good as the first two. In some respects better, because of the Lear-esque inexorability of downfall those who betray their apparent nature or designated role. Lesser shows would have moved Barksdale and Bell out of the way and simply replaced them with Marlo as a newer, tougher, harder villain - but they capture the slow fall of one and rise of the other really well

Aye season 3 was my favourite too. Like Jaggy says above it has a lot of pay offs and the first time I watched it it felt like a return 'home' to the characters i knew in season 1.