Game At Chris Anderson Stadium, Aberdeen

RiG

Great game from last weekend involving a team in Rangers style tops v Dundee Utd style tops. Only saw one goal as I went off into town but it was a great break with the Rangers lot spreading the ball to the right wing and their tricky winger cut inside and fired past the on rushing keeper. I should really stay at my lass's more often as I get to watch it from her bedroom and stay nice and warm at the same time. :D

She must live next to two of the Peterhead players then :lol: Good view from those flats ;)

EDIT: I forgot two of them share that flat, as the night I crashed there, one of them was in hospital :lol:

Guest Pompey

Where is this Chris Anderson Stadium?

It's used often as a neutral venue on Champ, with crowds about 30k :blink:

Who's it named after (and if anyone says Chris Anderson, I'll cry!)

It holds about 30 people! :lol:

Its just a stones throw away from Pittodrie actually. A lot of suporters buses park there as well.

Who's it named after (and if anyone says Chris Anderson, I'll cry!)

Chris Anderson :lol:

He was a chairman or vice chairman of Aberdeen at one point I think, and put up a lot of money to develop sport in the north east. The stadium is multi-purpose, catering for football, athletics and various field sports. I'd say it holds maybe a couple of thousand, it's a one stand wonder though

Sounds like Lewis United against someone, as they play at Chris Anderson stadium. They lost 2-0 to Fraserburgh United (who play in tangerine kits) but I don't think Lewis wear Rangers style tops. In any case, they didn't score any. This was on Feb 26; their most recent home game.

Guest Pompey
If my memory serves me correct Lewis Utd play in Celtic style tops, so def. not them :lol:

Very appropriately, so do Buckie Thistle :lol:

Dave.....I'm coming up to Borough Briggs to belt you now ;):lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Chris Anderson  :lol:

He was a chairman or vice chairman of Aberdeen at one point I think, and put up a lot of money to develop sport in the north east. The stadium is multi-purpose, catering for football, athletics and various field sports. I'd say it holds maybe a couple of thousand, it's a one stand wonder though

418359[/snapback]

Found this on the sheepshaggers webshite:

Perhaps better known for what he achieved off the field more than what he did on it by the younger generation of Aberdeen supporters, but Chris Anderson was a vital part of the Aberdeen side in the late 40's and early 50's. Chris was a Scotland schoolboy International before he was signed by Aberdeen from Mugiemoss during the war in 1943. An accomplished wing half Chris made the first of his 102 Aberdeen appearances against Dundee on New Years day 1949. Chris established himself in the first team and he was called up to represent the Scottish League in January 1951. However a knee injury sustained in a game against Celtic at Parkhead robbed him of the chance to gain a senior honour at international level.

Perhaps his finest hour came in the Dons first ever Scottish Cup win over Celtic in Glasgow in February 1950. Chris scored the only goal of the game and he was the driving force behind a famous Aberdeen victory. By 1953 and with the arrival of big money signing Jackie Allister from Chelsea, Chris was out of favour with manager Halliday and he was transferred to Arbroath on 26th June 1953.

Chris Anderson returned to Pittodrie to join the Aberdeen board in 1967 and three years later he was appointed as vice chairman. In his pivotal role at the club it soon became clear that Chris was a man of vision and his forward thinking was behind so much of the improvements made by Aberdeen Football Club both on and off the field. Along with his great friend Dick Donald, Chris was instrumental in bringing Pittodrie into a new era with the stadium becoming the first all covered, all seated ground in British football. Chris Anderson was also the principal architect behind the inception of the Premier League in 1975 and was responsible for taking Alex Ferguson to Pittodrie in 1978. Tragically Chris was struck down by motor neurone disease and he passed away on 27th May 1986.

post-422-1114302348.jpg

Guest Tarvie

I work with the Chairman of Lewis Utd and the Club Sectretary

Funny a f**k as they are both Rangers fans and Lewis play in Celtic style Hoops :lol:

Archived