Longest since last meeting between two Scottish clubs

Adamski

I read that the game today between West Ham and Doncaster is their first since 1958. It got me wondering which two clubs in Scotland have gone the longest since they last played each other (not counting the newer entrants to the league who haven't played everyone yet). I'd be pretty surprised if there are any that examples that go back as far as 1958 though. Any suggestions?

With Queens, by my reckoning the team we've currently gone the longest without playing is Celtic. I think our last meeting was in 1990. But I'd imagine that there are plenty of teams that can go back further than that.

Aberdeen haven't played Peterhead since our one and only meeting in the 1923 Scottish Cup. We won 13-0 cool.gif

Bizarrely we havent played Forfar since 1923 either - the round before the Peterhead game!

Who do you actually play against then, because up until the first game between our two teams two seasons ago we hadn't met since 1974!!!

With Queens, by my reckoning the team we've currently gone the longest without playing is Celtic. I think our last meeting was in 1990. But I'd imagine that there are plenty of teams that can go back further than that.

In terms of current SPL / SFL teams ours is Celtic now by a mile. As you say, last meeting was 5th September 1990.

The only other team we haven't played this century is Hearts (last meeting 18th August 1999).

We haven't (officially) played Annan at all of course.

Here's Berwick's full list:

2011-12... (will play at some point) Alloa, Annan, Clyde, East Stirlingshire, Elgin, Montrose, Peterhead, Queen's Park, Stranraer, Dumbarton [CC], Livingston(Meadowbank) [CC], Partick [LC], Hibs [LC]

2010-11... Celtic [sC], Albion Rovers, Arbroath

2009-10... Ross County [sC], Forfar

2008-09... Ayr [LC], QotS [CC], Cowdenbeath, Stenhousemuir

2007-08... Hamilton [LC], Raith, Airdrie(Clydebank), Brechin

2006-07... Falkirk [sC], East Fife

2005-06... Aberdeen [LC], Stirling [CC]

2004-05... St Johnstone [CC], Morton

2003-04... Hearts [sC], St Mirren [CC]

2002-03... Inverness [CC]

2001-02... Rangers [sC]

1997-98... Airdrieonians [CC]

1995-96... Dundee Utd [sC]

1989-90... Kilmarnock

1985-86... Dunfermline

1983-84... Motherwell [LC]

1980-81... Dundee

1966-67... Third Lanark

1952-53... Leith

Never... Gretna

Edited by HibeeJibee

Aberdeen haven't played Peterhead since our one and only meeting in the 1923 Scottish Cup. We won 13-0 cool.gif

Did they not stuff you in a preseason friendly fairly recently? <_<

edit: Maybe not stuffed but they did beat you 3-2 on 22nd July 2009. You must have met in the 'shire cup as well surely?

Edited by 10 CC ICT

East Stirlingshire are, from what I remember, the only established team yet to play at McDiarmid Park. Saints haven't met them in any competitive competition since April 1988.

Other teams we haven't played this century by my reckonking are Montrose (1996), Albion Rovers (1996), Forfar (1999) and Dumbarton (1996).

We're yet to play Annan or Peterhead since they admitted to the Scottish Football League.

I've seen Saints play East Stirlingshire, Montrose, Forfar, Dumbarton and Peterhead though, so only teams I've still to see us play are Albion Rovers and Annan.

Queen's last played against Dundee in 1987 in a League Cup tie, that's been our only meeting since 1958.

I happened to be at that game oddly enough.

A first glimpse of the silly wee triangular stanchions that replaced the brilliant big black ones that summer.

Now, the goals everywhere look the same with the two tall poles arrangement behind the posts.

East Stirlingshire are, from what I remember, the only established team yet to play at McDiarmid Park. Saints haven't met them in any competitive competition since April 1988.

Other teams we haven't played this century by my reckonking are Montrose (1996), Albion Rovers (1996), Forfar (1999) and Dumbarton (1996).

We're yet to play Annan or Peterhead since they admitted to the Scottish Football League.

I've seen Saints play East Stirlingshire, Montrose, Forfar, Dumbarton and Peterhead though, so only teams I've still to see us play are Albion Rovers and Annan.

You beat us 3-0 in the Scottish Cup in 2009-2010.

So is our gap with Aberdeen the longest? Unbelievable considering the amount of draws we will have been in together.

You beat us 3-0 in the Scottish Cup in 2009-2010.

You're quite right. Last three meetings have all been in the Scottish Cup, with 1-0 win at McDiarmid Park in 1999 and a 6-0 win in Perth in 1992. Last league meetings of the sides were 1989/90.

Confident that Dumbarton, Montrose and Albion Rovers are right though when it comes to not having played teams this century, although we have met Montrose in friendlies and at reserve level.

Who do you actually play against then, because up until the first game between our two teams two seasons ago we hadn't met since 1974!!!

Full Aberdeen List

2011/12 - Current SPL plus Dundee (LC)

2010/11 - Hamilton, Alloa, Raith, Falkirk, East Fife

2008/09 - Ayr

2007/08 - Partick, Gretna, QOS

2006/07 - Queens Park

2005/06 - Berwick, Stranraer, Livingston

2004/05 - Arbroath

2003/04 - Brechin, Dumbarton

1997/98 - Stirling Albion

1996/97 - Morton

1995/96 - Airdrie

1994/95 - Stenhousemuir (one and only meeting)

1993/94 - East Stirling

1991/92 - Clyde

1989/90 - Albion Rovers

1985/86 - Montrose (one and only meeting)

1977/78 - Cowdenbeath

1970/71 - Elgin City

1922/23 - Forfar, Peterhead

Never Played - Ross County, Annan

Having a look back it does seem a long time since we've played quite a few teams.

While checking these back we do seem to have a knack of drawing the same teams in the cups. In the last 5/6 years we've managed to play Berwick, Dunfermline, East Fife, Falkirk, Dundee, Alloa and Raith at least twice!

Edited by Don of the South