The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Caption in yesterday's Sunday Times:

'Joe Jordan knows what Dave Mackay, below right, means to both clubs.'

Photograph 'below right':

Gary Mackay resplendent in 80s hotpants.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gripe with the football reporting in the tabloids is how they describe the players as either an ace or a flop when they've moved onto another club. For example, Rangers flop Charlie Adam or Hearts ace Craig Gordon.

Why is there no middle ground? Not all of these players were world class or utterly pish.

Decidedly average Rangers midfielder Charlie Adam? Slightly better than average but probably still overrated Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon?

I agree though, and you can add "dud" and "misfit" and "misfiring" to the list.

I always appreciate it the way the Record always feels it has to let me know which side of the old firm the stories about supports, generally while their up in court over some assault/drugs/theft charge. Usually the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd paragraph such as 'John Smith, Rangers fan, was yesterday charged with etc etc. Quality journalism.

Not a massive piece of shitty journalism but today's Sunday Herald reported that Stuart Kettlewell was sent-off for "lashing out" at Stephen Simmons. It was a two-footed lunge, which in my book is not "lashing out".

Sunday Mail SFL1 team of the day brought me the revelation that Matt Lockwood now plays for Thistle and we seemed to have signed some guy called Elliot. He must have been so good yesterday I never noticed him.

Sunday Mail SFL1 team of the day brought me the revelation that Matt Lockwood now plays for Thistle and we seemed to have signed some guy called Elliot. He must have been so good yesterday I never noticed him.

New players appear to be popping up all over the shop. I've never heard of Gary McMenamin, but it seems he plays for Ross County.

New players appear to be popping up all over the shop. I've never heard of Gary McMenamin, but it seems he plays for Ross County.

He's another First Division Mercenary™ that signed for us.

Colin McMenamin does genuinely have a brother called Gary who plays football. He used to play for Annan Athletic before they were a league side though he chucked it as a professional a few years back and now turns out in the Dumfries amateurs. I would guess the report was written by someone who knows that and had a brain fade?

(You may already know all this of course, just pointing it out in case).

The Mail on Sunday did a cracking job today of messing up the team line ups - they've got the right scores but they have the teams from all last weeks games listed. Apparently we won 5-1 with the Forfar team :lol:

The Sunday Mail has managed to get all the teams in the Second and Third Divsions wrong, for example the Airdrie line up is actually the Albion Rovers team, the Stenny team is Airdrie's etc. Magnificent incompetence. But worst of all is Dougie Imrie's mark of five when he was head and shoulders above everybody else. His marker, who fouled him constantly, gets the top mark of seven, naturally.

Minertaur - do you mean The Sunday Mail or did that paper cock it up too?

Was mentioned on the match thread but the Daily Mail had Tam Scobbie as MOTM against Ayr. I'm one of many fans who thought he was the worst player on the park.

Yeah he was absolutely fucking baws. As per for Scobbie at left-back then.

Hibs winger Ivan Sproule is unhappy at his side's start to the season, as seen in The Sunday Post:

You're right Ivan, that's impossibly shite.

Hmm... but then again you wouldn't exactly put it past Colin Calderwoods Hibs team though.

The Sunday Mail has managed to get all the teams in the Second and Third Divsions wrong, for example the Airdrie line up is actually the Albion Rovers team, the Stenny team is Airdrie's etc. Magnificent incompetence. But worst of all is Dougie Imrie's mark of five when he was head and shoulders above everybody else. His marker, who fouled him constantly, gets the top mark of seven, naturally.

Minertaur - do you mean The Sunday Mail or did that paper cock it up too?

I noticed that in the Sunday Mail yesterday as well - it seems like it was the line ups from last weeks games going by the Cowden team listed under 'Arbroath' on a positive note they managed to beat East Fife 3-0 so it wasn't all that bad :lol: :lol:

We managed to field Forfar's side in our 5-1 win at Airdrie :lol:

Archived