The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Really, the papers only care about whipping up nonsense about the Old Firm for the loon brigade of the both sides to get excited about.

The Sun's Ramsden's Cup preview on Tuesday (I read it while waiting in a Chinese Takeaway and I'd finished all the ladies mags) had a picture of Andy Goram holding the Challenge Cup with the caption, "Goram led the celebrations when Queens won the cup in [whenever it was]".

Anything to draw the eye of the bigots. Probably works.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same say it's different from saying "Greenock" instead of "Greenock Morton" or... "Morton."

It's because they're known as 'Rovers', not 'Albion', if you want to use their short name.

I can draw you a Venn diagram or something if this makes too much sense?

Yes please. Draw me a Venn diagram you tiresome cause chaser.

What's wrong with that? :unsure:

How is that any different from saying "Ayr" instead of "Ayr United" and "Hamilton" instead of "Hamilton Academical"?

Swampy kind of answered it, in his own unique way! They are different because they aren't known as "Raith" or "Ayr", their fans call them Rovers. Bloody stupid name anyway, always thought they should rename themselves Coatbridge Rovers.

From today's (Thursday's) Glaswegian.

here

The paper says...

Any deal to secure the one-time Rangers wideman would not involve a wage and he could pull on the club colours for the first time today in a bounce game against Kilmarnock.

in the same column they carry a quote from Ian Maxwell...

We have a bounce game against Killie on Wednesday and he may get a run out... .

you guessed it, the bounce game was yesterday. :rolleyes:

Swampy kind of answered it, in his own unique way! They are different because they aren't known as "Raith" or "Ayr", their fans call them Rovers. Bloody stupid name anyway, always thought they should rename themselves Coatbridge Rovers.

I call us 'Rovers', most fans of other clubs call us 'Raith'. In the great big world of lazy Scottish fitba journalism/punditry, this is merely a rouge sweetcorn in the jobby.

Nothing to see here.

A new week, and a new flood of journalistic bullshit, no doubt.

I don't have it to hand, but the Sunday Times report on the Dundee v Ayr Utd game takes a stonking early lead. Having already stated that "Moffat gave Ayr the lead", in the next paragraph it goes with "Dundee's Jake Hyde broke the deadlock" shortly followed by "Gareth Wardlaw was denied an equaliser..."

Oh definitely. A while back, a friend of mine at the time couldn't be arsed going to Paisley to cover the St Mirren game, and basically sat in front of my telly and wrote a generic report based solely on what was coming through on teletext. He was only hired for Sunday copy, not Monday, so he didn't have to cover player and manager quotes. He reckoned (certainly back then), that a fair old number of reports from the lower leagues were bluffed together in this way. Of course, if you were providing Monday copy and reports on the same game for multiple rags, then it wasn't a practice that would work for very long before you'd get caught out.

That is common, I was once told by some reporter in a pub in Dumbarton that he was covering a junior cup-tie that had an early kick-off and went to extra-time and penalties and was supposed to be covering the Sons game later that day but went to the pub instead and decided to try and wing it by bluffing his way through it but got caught out

Editor: "How come you didn't mention the sending off ?"

Reporter: "Er......"

In the same vein, ages ago though. My mate was heading for the posh seats in Hampden. Running a bit late, he was almost knocked on his arse by a drunk man heading out the way about 10 past 8. None other than Ian Archer of Scotsport and Scotsman fame. Full story in the paper next day right enough.

Making it up on the hoof is pretty commonplace I think. I remember going for something to eat after the Scotland v Norway game in the World Cup in France. At the table next to us was some daft journalist from the Express who was half cut and getting her friends to help her with the report she was about to phone in. It was the usual cliche ridden nonsense.

Anonymous Sunday Mail reporter on Falkirk's second goal against Partick Thistle yesterday.

But Falkirk were back in front seconds after the restart when Rhys Bennett's flick was met by Higginbotham who fired home from six yards.
My link

In the real world Blair Alston took a corner which was flicked on by Murray Wallace and headed in by Higginbotham.

"Garry Harkins" was down as being booked on the bbc vidiprinter yesterday.....bad enough they got the club wrong but surely spelling Gary isn't that hard?

The BBC have a Garry Harkins playing for Dundee on Saturday and Gary Harkins playing for Killie. I know for a fact the real Gary was playing for Killie, so is this a BBC (PA) mistake or an imposter with a similar name?

I can draw you a Venn diagram!

25a5abo.jpg

It's nae bathir, pal. You're welcome. ;)

You're calling me autistic when I'm replying to SD? I'm actually spluttering with rage here.

Archived