The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday Herald:

Do newspapers still employ editors? Surely someone would pick up on these mistakes.

That was a test to see if anybody actually reads the Sunday Herald :rolleyes:.

There are people still trying to maintain standards in the media but sadly it's too often a case of so much to do, so little time.

Yesterday's Sunday Mail features a large picture of Scott Boyd celebrating his goal with Grant Munro. The caption says " Scott Boyd celebrates his goal with Scott Morrison"

The "Hero and Villain" awards states that Boyd is the hero of the match as he "played well and scored the opener". Maybe the sub-editor is a bitter Morton fan who refuses to give McMenamin any recognition?

Just remembered one from six years ago that is famous among the Thistle support.

Duke Gekantawa, whoever he is, is credited with the third goal in the report, whilst Jukka Santala is correctly credited in the list of scorers.

McKellar's free-kick was a beauty that day, IIRC.

Interesting wee report on the Morton-Dundee game in the Herald.

It seems Morton were pretty unlucky. They shaded it on chances, conceded the softest of penalties, and had a plausible claim of their own turned down.

Well, that's fairly subjective, but the statement that Conroy scored his second moments after the first is bizarre. How about an hour? It was a reasonably entertaining game, but time wasn't flashing by that fast.

So who wrote it? Anyone on here? Anyone who was actually at the game?

From the BBC, obviously somebody is trying to cast doubt on the referee's allegiances...

Rangers were cruising thanks to goals from Sone Aluko, Andy Little and Lee Wallace against a Celtic side reduced to 10 men after they had Cha Du-Ri and Victor Wanyama sent off.

Manchester City are ready to listen to offers for striker Edin Dzeko, which has alerted both Juventus and Real Madrid. The 26-year-old cost city £27m last summer.

Quite a big story on the BBC rumours page however, a quick search on Dzeko shows...

After heavy speculation, Roberto Mancini, manager of Manchester City, confirmed on 3 January 2011 that a fee of £27 million (€32 million) had been agreed with Wolfsburg for Džeko

I went on the Scotsman website this morning to read their report of yesterday's game but was a bit puzzled when I didn't find anything immediately. Lo and behold, I scroll down the page and find yesterday's report of our 3-2 win down as "Partick Thistle 2 - 1 Livingstone: Firhill for thrills and spills but visitors get the Lions’ share". So apart from spelling Scotland's 3rd biggest town wrongly, they've also managed to give Partick Thistle the win, before stunningly contradicting themselves following the colon.

There really are no words. post-14566-0-44512900-1333274726_thumb.p

Alasdair Fraser reports in The Sunday Mail that the Raith hero is Grant Murray yet the picture is of Alan Walker.

Oh, I have read more, this is another c**t that's going to get a shovel in the puss.

Fucking "backs to the wall", pish.

Fucking Telt.

Learn from this Journos.

post-31698-0-86754000-1333296769_thumb.p

I went on the Scotsman website this morning to read their report of yesterday's game but was a bit puzzled when I didn't find anything immediately. Lo and behold, I scroll down the page and find yesterday's report of our 3-2 win down as "Partick Thistle 2 - 1 Livingstone: Firhill for thrills and spills but visitors get the Lions’ share". So apart from spelling Scotland's 3rd biggest town wrongly, they've also managed to give Partick Thistle the win, before stunningly contradicting themselves following the colon.

There really are no words. post-14566-0-44512900-1333274726_thumb.p

Credit where it's due though. You have to admit that 'Firhill for thrills' is original!!!!!

Best use of hyperbole in a space filler:

"With just six games remaining this term, Thistle find themselves locked in a battle for mid-table supremacy ..."

- Chris Jack, Evening Times, 4 April

Get the girl a thesaurus:

"Now Topping is hoping to find some common ground by asking the 10 other clubs to find common ground."

- Alison McConnell, Evening Times, 4 April

Archived