Hip Hop Thread

A-Mac

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

"Life After Death" by Notorious BIG. Back in the day I was never overly enamoured with this album and hadn't listened to it for about 12 years, but I am listening to it right now and it is actually a lot better than I remember. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it? :lol:

Ready to Die's a classic.

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

36 Chambers and the first 5 solos are the best by a mile.

I have 36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Links and The W from Wu Tang Clan. When I was younger I was more into West Coast rap than Wu Tang Clan but nowadays I think East Coast is a lot better. Liquid Swords and 36 Chambers are pretty much perfect.

2 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Ready to Die's a classic.

Agreed.

On 10 November 2017 at 17:56, JamieStevenson said:

One of the flattest songs I've heard in recent times from the Rap God himself. 

Eminem appears to be under the impression that he can just put any old shite out and people will buy it, and he's correct. He has fell off so hard.

Eminem appears to be under the impression that he can just put any old shite out and people will buy it, and he's correct. He has fell off so hard.

Yeah, but that's true of almost everyone. Marshal Mathers 2 was his best album since the Eminem Show but it's unlikely he will ever reach the highlights of his first few albums, however the first three albums are three of the best albums ever. He sort of suffers from being compared to himself. I think there is very little Eminem has released that is truly awful though.

1 minute ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Yeah, but that's true of almost everyone. Marshal Mathers 2 was his best album since the Eminem Show but it's unlikely he will ever reach the highlights of his first few albums, however the first three albums are three of the best albums ever. He sort of suffers from being compared to himself. I think there is very little Eminem has released that is truly awful though.

Do you want to know a secret?

I didn't think Encore was THAT bad. The Re-Up on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Do you want to know a secret?

I didn't think Encore was THAT bad. The Re-Up on the other hand...

Really can't count The Re-Up as an Eminem album. I don't mind it actually but it's not in my regular rotation. I used to enjoy a bit of Obie Trice and he's all over The Re-Up.

Of Eminem's proper albums Encore, Relapse and Recovery are the three worst ones. I don't think any of the three are terrible but I rarely put them on. Encore has a couple of decent enough songs, but I would be unlikely to sit and listen to the whole album. The other four I would. I think what MM2 had which the previous three didn't was it sounds like Eminem is enjoying himself again.

• 2 weeks later...
Kendrick Lamar has re-released 'Damn' with the track listings backwards. I also think 'fear' has been changed.

Listening now and it's quite cool.

I like it this way, it starts off a lot mellower and rises into an angrier sound as the album goes on. I'm guessing this was his intention all along as it works too well to be a coincidence.

Eminem's new album is terrible. Worse than Encore, Relapse and Recovery.

I agree although I liked Encore.

I really dislike the way his flow has changed, he quite often sounds either disjointed or out of breath, compare that to something like Forgot About Dre and you can hear a massive difference.

I thought it was alright, his self-reflective songs are the highlight. I think the production lets it down more than anything. It's not as bad as Encore, Relapse or Recovery but quite a bit worse than his first three.

I do like how Eminem is making it simple by giving the poorest 4 albums one word titles.

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

I agree although I liked Encore.

I really dislike the way his flow has changed, he quite often sounds either disjointed or out of breath, compare that to something like Forgot About Dre and you can hear a massive difference.

It's as if he has forgotten how to rap. He used to make it sound so effortless and he was an amazing lyricist but now his delivery and lyrics are garbage.

I didn't mind Encore either, it had a few good songs on it and nothing on it is awful but you can tell he was on drugs. Even Relapse, Recovery and MMLP2 had their moments but I listened to Revival once and it will be the only time.

SSLP, MMLP and TES are absolute back-to-front classic albums. Nothing he ever does will change that, but I am beginning to wish that he would retire.

One thing I can't figure out is why he made it so long? That album could have been half the length and would have probably been a better record.

The worst part of the album is Remind Me, the one that samples 'I love Rock n Roll', produced by Rick Rubin, who also produced the worst song on MMLP2. He and Eminem really don't work.