Frank Turner

Zanetti

I know there are a few other Frank Turner fans on here so I thought I'd start a new thread about his new album which came out today, 'England Keep My Bones'. Just listening to it through for the first time and I can tell already that it's absolutely tremendous.

So who else listens to Frank Turner? Personally I think the man's an absolute genius. Has anyone else got the new album yet?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to the new album for the first time this morning. Its fantastic, and from what I can tell its going to be a grower as well. I am a massive fan of Frank (and Million Dead for that matter) and I am glad he seems to be playing bigger venues and getting the recognition that he deserves. His music is very obsessive and most Frank Turner fans I have spoke to probably fawn over him a little bit too much. I of course am guilty of this as well, but I struggle to think of another artist who's music I can relate to as much.

Been listening to it solid for the last week or so so I already know all the words :D Tuned into that live stream he's doing for his album launch but it was far too laggy. Must've been to do with all the folk watching.

Top 10 on iTunes aswell. Well done sir :D

Also, 'Wessex Boy' is a tremendous song.

I've always thought this too. I look at Frank Turner and can't help thinking that he's trying too hard to be something he's not.

What do you think he's trying to be? The only similarity I can see between him and Bragg is that they both play guitar and sing with an English accent.

Before I start, I will say that I enjoyed this album and it's going to get a place in my top 10 so far this year.

I've heard a bit of Frank Turner in the past but this is the first time I've sat all the way through one of his albums. I thought it was stunning for the first 4 or 5 tracks, until I got to "England's Curse". That song was painful to listen to. After that I realised that he is trying far too hard lyrically and didn't enjoy the rest of the album as much. I'm now worried that if I listen to the first part of the album again I'll end up not liking it as much as before.

Before I start, I will say that I enjoyed this album and it's going to get a place in my top 10 so far this year.

I've heard a bit of Frank Turner in the past but this is the first time I've sat all the way through one of his albums. I thought it was stunning for the first 4 or 5 tracks, until I got to "England's Curse". That song was painful to listen to. After that I realised that he is trying far too hard lyrically and didn't enjoy the rest of the album as much. I'm now worried that if I listen to the first part of the album again I'll end up not liking it as much as before.

The only track I skip on the album is 'I Still Believe'. Not that it's a bad song, i've just heard it so much the last year and i'm bored with it. I quite like 'English Curse' and could imagine it would sound good live... maybe with the backing band.

I've been listening to Million Dead all day today. Fuckin' excellent band back in the day. I was only getting into them when they decided to split up :( Thankfully the spirit of MD lives on in Frank Turner.

Just got round to listening to his new album today.

Quite impressed i have to say.Probably the most consistent album he's done to date.I've been listening to him for a few years now and although i have enjoyed a lot of what he's done i always felt his albums were patchy.

I quite like English Curse but once again he's copying something that his mate Chris Tt tried on one his 9 Red Songs album.Not a criticism but he does have a magpie like audacity towards Chris Tts stuff.

In fact here is Frank covering that Chris Tt song

I didn't realise Frank had covered quite as many Chris Tt songs live :lol:

M1 Song,Preaching to the Converted and Huntsman Comes-a Marching and even appeared in his We are the King of England video

They even appeared at 2000 trees together.

So if any of you FT fans haven't heard of Chris Tt check out his Capital and 9 Red songs albums.You should like them as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this - very impressed. Didn't get Poetry but Have Love Ire.. This album seems more consistant and Redemption is an absolute classic. Still has a couple of fillers but I think I will finally go and see hime live this year at Barras in November.

• 1 year later...

Quite worrying that in Inverness earlier in the month, noone seemed to know any of the songs from 'Sleep is for the Week' and 'Love Ire and Song' and then went nuts for 'I Still Believe'. Also it proves that he is so much better live when he doesn't have the backing band.

Quite worrying that in Inverness earlier in the month, noone seemed to know any of the songs from 'Sleep is for the Week' and 'Love Ire and Song' and then went nuts for 'I Still Believe'. Also it proves that he is so much better live when he doesn't have the backing band.

Really? Barrowlands last year, the fans seemed to know everything and I'm not sure he was a smaller live act than he is now.

• 2 months later...

Recovery, the first single from Frank's new album 'Tape Deck Heart' (which comes out on the 22nd of April) is due to be played at 7.30 GMT tonight on BBC Radio 1 for anyone who might be interested. Here's a live version of it from last year.

Archived