Arrested Development

Just finished first two episodes of new season. Feel the first one was a bit of a mess, all over the place and throwing in as many recurring jokes as possible.

Quite enjoyed the George Snr episode. Nothing brilliant but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching it, absolutely loved it. It's been too long since I've seen the first three so can't really compare but I was laughing constantly.

I'm kind of in two minds about the format. I'm not sure if I like the character centric episodes as some characters are better in small doses but I did really like seeing the characters' stories all coming together (and also spotting the other characters in the background once you know it's all intertwining - I saw Tobias on the plane before I even realised what they were doing).

Terry Crews, Ron Howard and Isla Fisher ( :wub: ) were fantastic additions, plenty of callbacks to the past seasons with people like Jean Parmesan turning up.

Gutted this never made an appearance in full though;

chicken-dance-2.gif

I'm kind of in two minds about the format. I'm not sure if I like the character centric episodes as some characters are better in small doses but I did really like seeing the characters' stories all coming together (and also spotting the other characters in the background once you know it's all intertwining - I saw Tobias on the plane before I even realised what they were doing).

I completely agree with this. It must be amongst the most intricately plotted comedy series' there's been, and the way all the strands began to come together was fantastically well done, but I'm afraid that, for the most part, the laughs simply didn't come as thick and fast as they once did. Pretty much the main strength of the original 3 series' was the way the brilliant ensemble of principal characters interacted so beautifully with each other, so I felt it did suffer from the scarcity of such scenes.

In particular I felt that the George Snr episodes fell a bit flat, which is a real pity as Jeffrey Tambor is such a brilliant comedy actor.

That being said, it was still fantastically entertaining and, from around the first Tobias episode onwards, it really does begin to reach it's previous glory. I'd say my personal favourite was probably the first Gob one, but there were a fair few really strong ones in the latter part.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the way that it's structured will surely reward repeat viewings, and I'd imagine that the early, initially underwhelming, episodes will be cast in a much more favourable light.

Criticisms aside, it was great to have it back again, and hopefully this turns out to be a precursor to either a further season, or the previously rumoured film.

• 3 months later...

I had been watching this on Netflix.

I was aware that it had ended after series three and been brought back by Netflix for a short run.

I watched the first episode of season four and found it to be one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. Anyone else feel that way?

Season 4's a slow burner, but it gets funnier as it goes on. Episode 11's the best.

• 1 year later...

I completely agree with this. It must be amongst the most intricately plotted comedy series' there's been, and the way all the strands began to come together was fantastically well done, but I'm afraid that, for the most part, the laughs simply didn't come as thick and fast as they once did. Pretty much the main strength of the original 3 series' was the way the brilliant ensemble of principal characters interacted so beautifully with each other, so I felt it did suffer from the scarcity of such scenes.

You've put that far more eloquently than I ever could.

Finished watching it last night. Loved series 1-3 but 4 was a disappointment, and especially the ending, but just because it wasn't as laugh out loud funny as the three previous series and there were times I could easily guess what was going to happen. It was still worth a watch though and ranks highly on my favourite TV shows. It's incredibly smart and I'll probably need to sit down and watch it again, there are just so many hidden things and references to everything. Loved when Jeff Garlin's character was climbing through the window and they played the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme, and the subtle It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference

B6PIUddCQAEsIvA.png

• 2 years later...

Had an urge to watch an episode or two of this yesterday.  Watched the 2 episodes in series 1 with Maggie Lizer in it.  Tobias sneaking round the house was utterly incredible :lol:

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Mr X said:

Series 4 was awful, why would you get excited for another one?

I enjoyed series 4.  Some of the episodes were just as good as the first couple of seasons - the Gob and Tobias episodes mainly.  If they could actually get the cast to be interacting this season then it would be better I admit!

3 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

I enjoyed series 4.  Some of the episodes were just as good as the first couple of seasons - the Gob and Tobias episodes mainly.  If they could actually get the cast to be interacting this season then it would be better I admit!

Each to their own, but you know you're wrong :P

Maybe it didnt help that I watched season 4 straight after watching the first 3 straight through.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Each to their own, but you know you're wrong :P

Maybe it didnt help that I watched season 4 straight after watching the first 3 straight through.

Ah see I watched the first 3 and then waited years for season 4.  I need to watch it back as I haven't watched s4 since it first came out!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, Mr X said:
2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Fifth season due soon, and in the meantime, a recut version of Season 4 launches tomorrow.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/1/17307974/arrested-development-fourth-season-remix-release-date-netflix

Will it add in any funny bits?

It went steadily downhill after 2. Be interesting to see what 5 brings.

Archived