The General Ross County Chat Thread

40 minutes ago, Comrie said:

If Routis is away that's disappointing, at times he showed quality then at other times was almost a complete was of a jersey. Probably doesn't fancy the bright lights of the second tier.

Offering new terms to Kelly, though. Jesus. Might as well scream "attack our left side" if he stays and plays.

Kelly might, just might, be a passable mid-table Championship player.  I severely doubt it, however, and the fact that he has been out of the team for six months suggests only bad things.  Best for all parties if we just move on and never mention his name ever again.

Routis did a real job in at least four different positions over his time at County - centre back, holding midfielder, normal midfielder, right midfielder.  He probably also played right back at some point.  Shame he was injured quite so often.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

If they don't want the reduced terms then they are allowed to leave for free.  Draper and Mckay could in theory go back to ICT, what a carry on that would be :lol:

If this happens the first Highland Derby of next season will be like

Image result for spiderman pointing meme

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Kelly might, just might, be a passable mid-table Championship player.  I severely doubt it, however, and the fact that he has been out of the team for six months suggests only bad things.  Best for all parties if we just move on and never mention his name ever again.

Routis did a real job in at least four different positions over his time at County - centre back, holding midfielder, normal midfielder, right midfielder.  He probably also played right back at some point.  Shame he was injured quite so often.

Maybe.

I doubt he's on high wages so he could be a squad player, I guess.

I liked Routis generally, but always remember him out of nowhere banjoing a pass out of the ground (against Hamilton, I think) and then totally going to bits for the rest of the game after having a really assured performance before that pass.

39 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Offering new terms to Kelly, though. Jesus. Might as well scream "attack our left side" if he stays and plays.

He's still under contract so can't simply be released (without paying out the rest of it).  We've offered him reduced terms.  I'm not clear if that's a contractual obligation in case of relegation (eg, a standard 20%) or whether it works more in our favour by being able to offer whatever the management think he's worth (potentially a carton of Ribena and a Curly Wurly).  Either way, he has an offer to consider from us and can either take it or be released from his contract altogether.

Kelly's not that bad.  He's a really tidy footballer with a good bit of technique with his left peg.  He doesn't have the pace nor aggression to be a full-back in the top flight, IMO, but that's not a concern now.  Melbourne was a lot better in that regard, but Melbourne didn't have the same impact in the final third.  There aren't going to be many teams in the Championship that would roast Kelly down the outside in the same manner.  If County can kick-start an invincible campaign with Marc Fitzpatrick at left-back, they can certainly cope with Kelly in the same position.

51 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

He's still under contract so can't simply be released (without paying out the rest of it).  We've offered him reduced terms.  I'm not clear if that's a contractual obligation in case of relegation (eg, a standard 20%) or whether it works more in our favour by being able to offer whatever the management think he's worth (potentially a carton of Ribena and a Curly Wurly).  Either way, he has an offer to consider from us and can either take it or be released from his contract altogether.

I'd rather the Ribena and Curly Wurly played at left back, to be honest.  Is there anything in the rules about substituting a player with some junk food?

Seriously, though, I would like to think that the reduction in salary was negotiated when players were signed, and that the players were happy to accept it.  If they aren't, it could be a very long season.  It's also worth considering that they released Tumilty and Foden, with the possibility of having no right backs and no goalkeepers in the squad.  Ian Vigurs has just signed for a team which could have no players.  I'd like to think that most of the players have already made a decision about staying on, and that the salary is a mere distraction.

51 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I can't even begin to guess the salary that would have taken to entice.

Uncle Roy...

throw away make it rain GIF

Stuart Kettlewell when it comes to finding a striker.  Or a keeper.  Or a right back...

begging no money GIF

Edited by Savage Henry

8 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I can't even begin to guess the salary that would have taken to entice.

The Ross County manager Roy Macgregor has simultaneously diverted attention from his season fail and cocked a snook at Inverness.

I have to admit to admiring his style as in the process, despite loadsamoney boasting, he's discretely managed expectations.

As stylish as Vigurs is, he's as flawed as he is endowed with flair.

Many experts agree that the wrong side of thirty midfielder has neither the nous nor the pace to flourish at the top level in Scotland and the investment is therefore intended as a loss leader for a stay in the championship.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Many experts agree that the wrong side of thirty midfielder has neither the nous nor the pace to flourish at the top level in Scotland.....

Hmmmm...... Scott Brown & Youssouff Mulumbu  :whistle

9 hours ago, sophia said:

The Ross County manager Roy Macgregor has simultaneously diverted attention from his season fail and cocked a snook at Inverness.

I have to admit to admiring his style as in the process, despite loadsamoney boasting, he's discretely managed expectations.

As stylish as Vigurs is, he's as flawed as he is endowed with flair.

Many experts agree that the wrong side of thirty midfielder has neither the nous nor the pace to flourish at the top level in Scotland and the investment is therefore intended as a loss leader for a stay in the championship.

My Granny was a plain speaker. She oft times cautioned me to try to take heed of the message behind the words. This reminds me of one of her phrases “ fine words don’t hide the smell of  keech”.

In one simple move, County have already changed the narrative within a week of being relegated. The type of ICT fans that would otherwise be trying to stick the boot in are already frothing at the mouth while also giving County fans a little something to cheer themselves up about. It's unlike us, but what a great PR move. Having ICT spit the dummy and announce the deal incorrectly before us was just the icing on the cake.

Anyway now that Vigurs is back, and with a background staff of Ketts, Fergie & Brittain, who else from the band can we get back together? Top of the list of those still playing for me would be Melvin & Hainault. Oiko's only played 4 games for Panathanaikos so far too.

While I'm mostly saying it in jest, I don't think Ketts & Fergie would be too proud to go over old ground with former players. There's no doubt in my mind that was one of the reasons Jim didn't sign Vigurs in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Spain said:

In one simple move, County have already changed the narrative within a week of being relegated. The type of ICT fans that would otherwise be trying to stick the boot in are already frothing at the mouth while also giving County fans a little something to cheer themselves up about. It's unlike us, but what a great PR move. Having ICT spit the dummy and announce the deal incorrectly before us was just the icing on the cake.

Not unlike our off the field staff to have a total minter about, well, anything really. I see we've currently got Highland League teams announcing when we are facing them rather than, you know, ICT announcing these games. And we are paying for these clowns as well :lol:

4 minutes ago, Spain said:

While I'm mostly saying it in jest, I don't think Ketts & Fergie would be too proud to go over old ground with former players. There's no doubt in my mind that was one of the reasons Jim didn't sign Vigurs in the first place.

I'm probably having a dense moment, but what is the correlation between those two statements?  Why would Jim care about Ketts and Fergie at the time?

Melvin didn't put enough effort in when he didn't have the ball and didn't pay one bit of attention to tactical instruction.  I'd be stunned if he came back to Scotland, let alone County.