The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 hours ago, Comrie said:

One thing I won't enjoy is Fox's habit of holding onto the ball for the maximum amount of time before releasing it with an aimless punt at Curran or Schalk. He seriously needs to look at releasing it far more effectively than that.

His distribution is probably the key reason McIntyre signed him.  He's excellent (usually) with the ball at his feet.  Remember Mark Brown, who couldn't reach the half way line with goal kicks?  Or Nicky Walker?   Or Craig Samson?   I'll take Fox's relative minor issues over the bumbling incompetents who have generally played in goals for us.

21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I'll take Fox's relative minor issues over the bumbling incompetents who have generally played in goals for us.

Fox barely plays out from the back these days, which is the issue.  Post-Rangers he's played very conservatively with his distribution, dealing with pass-backs aside, and it's been hurting the team's ability to set a tempo.

Edited by bunglebonce

I'm honestly struggling to remember Fox releasing out wide recently, it's always slow and conservative, which lets the opposition reset their formation. 

Is it just me who isn’t really seeing much progression in the side? Even since Coyle’s come in I can’t see much difference and results that McIntyre would’ve had as well. Pretty sure he would’ve won that game today. Have to give Coyle time to get his own players in but I can see another typical County season from here on in.

Too soon to judge on Coyle, he's got a horribly lopsided squad seriously reliant on a highly injury prone centre half.  Eagles didn't cover himself in glory after a promising first ten minutes. Will need to see how deep the cheque book will need to go over the window- we're still more than in touch with the clubs around us, so all isn't lost yet.

10 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Is it just me who isn’t really seeing much progression in the side? Even since Coyle’s come in I can’t see much difference and results that McIntyre would’ve had as well. Pretty sure he would’ve won that game today. Have to give Coyle time to get his own players in but I can see another typical County season from here on in.

Yesterday's poor showing aside (show's how much our midfield misses JOB), there's huge differences between Jim's tombola approach and the clearly obvious tactics and use of a plan that Coyle employs. If you think there's not much difference, then you haven't been paying attention.

January can't come soon enough to fix this horseshit squad that McIntyre has put together.

Yesterday's poor showing aside (show's how much our midfield misses JOB), there's huge differences between Jim's tombola approach and the clearly obvious tactics and use of a plan that Coyle employs. If you think there's not much difference, then you haven't been paying attention.
January can't come soon enough to fix this horseshit squad that McIntyre has put together.

The inconsistency is still here though.

2 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

The inconsistency is still here though.

Is it? He gave a debut to one player he'd recently signed. Not entirely unexpected. The other two changes were due to a suspension and an injury. You're picking holes just for the sake of it.

Is it? He gave a debut to one player he'd recently signed. Not entirely unexpected. The other two changes were due to a suspension and an injury. You're picking holes just for the sake of it.

To be fair I think he meant in terms of performance, come off the back of two good performances against Celtic and Hearts to that absolute dross yesterday.

To be fair, I’m smacking the panic button now that we’re in the playoff spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Too early to judge coyle. He said from the very start that every player will have the chance to earn their stay in the team between his appointment and January, so for the minor changes there have been (besides injuries & suspensions) that’s why and I can respect that. As far as I’m looking at it we’ve got some good players and some horrific ones (Tim chow and Ryan Dow need to go). Since coyle has been in there’s been no Right backs playing right mid / Strikers playing midfield so that’s a start. Good core of players overall. But going off recent performances I’d have Eagles playing behind the striker and not wide. Technically great but not got the pace or legs he once did. Keillor Dunn and midge still wingers for me

Yeah, when I'm fretting about our losing late goals, I'm really not getting on the back of a manager who has barely been in the job. It'll take time to get the right players in, to get the players switched on & fit for the full 90 minutes and all that.

Ideally a natural centre back would be nice.

Our problem is that we have some decent players (Naismith, Davies, JOB, DKD and Draper) but to use them effectively means leaving other area of the squad exposed. We go 3 in central midfield and lose all threat up front. We put two up front and all coherency in midfield gets lost. I thought when Coyle came in we might need 2-3 players but I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see 6-7 come in a 3-4 go.

Dow, Chow and Kelly would be the three most obvious ones.

Edited by Comrie

On 16/12/2017 at 17:21, Matty-RCFC said:

Was anyone at todays game and would like to share how horrific it was?

The only thing horrific was the performance from the officials, and probably our defending for their 2nd goal.

Considering we were without Davies and Draper, given current form it was an expected result, but I couldn't believe we didn't get at least a draw. The performances v Dundee and 2nd half v Killie were far worse. 

The bench yesterday didn't have a single defender, I hope Coyle/ John McGinlay have some signings lined up.

17 minutes ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Good core of players overall. But going off recent performances I’d have Eagles playing behind the striker and not wide. Technically great but not got the pace or legs he once did. Keillor Dunn and midge still wingers for me

I think you're on to something with Eagles.  Eagles could comfortably play inside in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 and it would expose his weaknesses less.  

However the team needs a lot more pace in it and I wouldn't rely on just Gardyne and Keillor-Dunn.  There isn't anywhere near enough speed in the side. 

My shopping list:

* Let Kelly go and bring in an upgrade: a left-back who can try to keep up with other wingers and stop crosses getting in.  Ability going forward ideal but not essential, it's more important to lock that side of the pitch down more.
* Bring in another centre-back who is good in the air.
* Let Chow go, maybe bring in a dedicated holding midfielder.  That's what Coyle see Routis as, so we might not see that.  Chow is almost certain to go to get more game time, so I don't know how he'll be replaced.  If Eagles were to come inside then another signing here wouldn't be needed.
* Let Dow go, keep Tony Dingwall as the spare attacking midfielder, use the wage on a quality winger.
* Bring in a winger who can beat defenders for pace and get to the goal-line.
* Punt two of the four current strikers, bring in one with the attributes to play up front on his own i.e. pace and height.  Three centre-forwards is plenty when Coyle only uses two when chasing a game.

Five out; four or five in.  

Fox

Naismith | Fraser | Davies | New LB

Draper | O'Brien

New winger | Eagles | Gardyne

New striker

A lot of work for Coyle to do.  I can see him sticking to Eagles on the wing of a 4-3-3 though, which means another winger won't come in, another CM will come in and we'll be stuck with no pace in the team.

4 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’ll add Mikkelsen to that list.

As of this minute, I'd say if you put any County striker 1 on 1 with a keeper, Mikkelsen's the only one I'd trust to put the ball in the net. He may collapse like a five year old on contact, but he can finish.