The General Ross County Chat Thread

Hi guys, according to the Lennox Herald (Dumbarton & The Vale's leading weekly title) ya boi Greg Morrison is heading to the Rock as the partial answer to our striking problems. 

We are rancid up front. Totally gawd awful. We rely on punting balls to Christian Nade who is done after 65 minutes, and Mark Stewart, our only other striker, is currently injured, having failed to look up to much during pre-season. That shows in the fact we've scored 3 goals in 8 'proper' games so far.

Could Morrison be the answers to our prayers (his gingerness has already won me over tbqh) or will he be another Stevie Ross?

He's a powerful lad with a cannon of a right foot. Needs to learn a lot but he'll improse himself more than Stevie Ross would.  He's scored a lot of goals at u20 level.  McLaughlin is good at picking him out with early crosses.

Im not sure if it's a good loan move tbh, unless he's got facilities to train FT elsewhere.  He's from Huntly AFAIK so I doubt he'll be travelling up and down for training all the time.

Edited by bunglebonce

21 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

He's a powerful lad with a cannon of a right foot. Needs to learn a lot but he'll improse himself more than Stevie Ross would.  He's scored a lot of goals at u20 level.  McLaughlin is good at picking him out with early crosses.

Im not sure if it's a good loan move tbh, unless he's got facilities to train FT elsewhere.  He's from Huntly AFAIK so I doubt he'll be travelling up and down for training all the time.

We have had loans in the past with a long journey involved and it's had the arrangement of the player training with his full time club on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and travelling to us on the Thursday for training that night and staying through to Saturday. Not ideal but cuts down on a bit of travelling and he'll definitely get plenty of game time as we have nothing up front.

Until it's official I don't believe it though, we've already had Aitken tell us two loan deals were done to have them collapse.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That's the lad Morrison confirmed.

I have high hopes for him based on what I'm reading and his scoring record for your development squad.

Wish him well.  If he does well, it could turn out to be a decent permanent move.  If he does really well, we'll have him back and ready to play a significant role.  

Bain for me is a guy that will make an absolute wonder stop out of nowhere then let something go right under him. He's great at the champagne saves. 

• 2 weeks later...

After singing his praise at the start of the season, I'm alarmed at just how poor Marcus Fraser looked yesterday.

Kelly looked a bit nervous and hesitant at times but to link well going forward with DKD. 

Naismith has been quieter and less of a dominant force on our right flank these last two matches but still steady and holding his own against the likes of Sammon, a very physical match up.

Davies does what Davies does, he throws himself at every high ball and wins about 90% of them when in defence (I always think he should score more goals from corners but he always gets blocked). I notice Davies seems to be coming short whenever an opposition striker drops deep, to me this makes sence as it leaves Fraser in behind him with the pace to act as a sweeper if Davies doesn't come out with the ball.  

It's Fraser's decision making when in possession, imo he either got caught on the ball as he couldn't make his mind up or he blootered it away, either straight to the opposition or out for a throw. He was responsible for giving away possession far more than any other player imo yesterday and just seemed to almost panic when on the ball. 

What's our alternatives VDW, he's actually better than I thought he'd be at centre half but more a replacement for Davies than to play with Davies due to requiring a faster sweeper type beside him. Naismith in the middle could work well imo he's a bit raw at times but certainly big strong and quick but then who starts at rightback, is Tumilty ready or do we go 352?

Edited by frankthetank22

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

I watch Kenny at centre-back looking through my hands, it's a disaster that has already happened and will again. 

I think he's the best left back at the club.  

ETA: seemingly McIntyre and the player himself disagree.  I do recall from his original highlights video that he appeared to play on the right side of a back three a lot.

Edited by Savage Henry

One poor game doesn't mean Fraser should be dropped. He's still comfortably the second best CB at the club.

McIntyre's recruitment is horrendous. There's no depth in the centre of defence. Presumably VdW was re-signed to cover CB as well as LB. And even then, I'm not convinced he's good enough. Nobody was particularly bothered when he left over summer.

26 minutes ago, yoda said:

One poor game doesn't mean Fraser should be dropped. He's still comfortably the second best CB at the club.

McIntyre's recruitment is horrendous. There's no depth in the centre of defence. Presumably VdW was re-signed to cover CB as well as LB. And even then, I'm not convinced he's good enough. Nobody was particularly bothered when he left over summer.

Almost everyone he signs has the same reaction from fans of their previous club.  "I'd probably have kept him but surprised he got a move to that level."  The exceptions: Fraser, Draper, Davies, Naismith and Mckay.  That's it.  Having said that, Fox, Fraser, Draper, Davies, Naismith and Schalk are pretty good signings.  There aren't too many stinkers out of that lot.

If it's not a word, I apologise to the grammar pedants profusely but the contrariness of some on here is laughable. A couple of weeks ago, everyone was stating the defence was perfect and it was the bedrock of the team. Most also stated that we needed a commanding figure in the middle so we went out and bought Draper, who now looks match sharp and had a great game. A winger was also required but seeing as three or four other clubs in the league were after the same, I'd like to think Jim and the board made a collective decision to give Davis the chance and I think that's worked out well. Clubs like Hearts were also looking for a winger and even with their considerable spending resources, they failed.
It's very early to say Jim's recruitment is horrendous but the narrative of many on here to get Jim out is getting tiresome and certainly not the view from my part of the ground

On 10/09/2017 at 11:46, humbleheart said:

If it's not a word, I apologise to the grammar pedants profusely but the contrariness of some on here is laughable. A couple of weeks ago, everyone was stating the defence was perfect and it was the bedrock of the team. Most also stated that we needed a commanding figure in the middle so we went out and bought Draper, who now looks match sharp and had a great game. A winger was also required but seeing as three or four other clubs in the league were after the same, I'd like to think Jim and the board made a collective decision to give Davis the chance and I think that's worked out well. Clubs like Hearts were also looking for a winger and even with their considerable spending resources, they failed.
It's very early to say Jim's recruitment is horrendous but the narrative of many on here to get Jim out is getting tiresome and certainly not the view from my part of the ground

Whether or not his recruitment has been bad is one thing, but McIntyre's absolutely been here long enough to judge the quality of his signings. How long should he get before we can pass judgement?