The Creepy & The Strange

1. Chernobyl - Most people know of Chernobyl on this website and I believe there is still a topic floating about somewhere on it.

2. The Door to Hell in Uzbekistan. As far as I know, the Russians found a cave whilst digging that was filled with a gas too toxic for humans to enter, so they decided the best possible thing to do was set it on fire. And it's been burning away ever since. 35 years to be exact.

3. Polybius - The video game that turns you mad. No-one actually knows if this video game exists and many people have actively went out to prove that it doesn't exist. I'll let you decide if you read up on it. The Simpsons even spoofed it.

Number 3 is tame in comparison to the others, but what else is there that's just not quite right? (Que someone saying me.)

post-12782-0-22066400-1305859724_thumb.j

post-12782-0-71088500-1305859792_thumb.j

1. Chernobyl - Most people know of Chernobyl on this website and I believe there is still a topic floating about somewhere on it.

2. The Door to Hell in Uzbekistan. As far as I know, the Russians found a cave whilst digging that was filled with a gas too toxic for humans to enter, so they decided the best possible thing to do was set it on fire. And it's been burning away ever since. 35 years to be exact.

3. Polybius - The video game that turns you mad. No-one actually knows if this video game exists and many people have actively went out to prove that it doesn't exist. I'll let you decide if you read up on it. The Simpsons even spoofed it.

Number 3 is tame in comparison to the others, but what else is there that's just not quite right? (Que someone saying me.)

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2008/03/25/darvaz-the-door-to-hell/

as for polybius,if memory serves I remember something about this from the early 80s, Im sure it was a stupid video games which had stobe lighting effects and hypnotic swirls etc ... and gave people sore heads and made them sick, hence the legend that people went mad!!!!

Don't know about everything on this video but I can 100% assure you that the cat story at the start is true, I always thought it was just my cat till I so this.

Edited by THE KING

2. The Door to Hell in Uzbekistan. As far as I know, the Russians found a cave whilst digging that was filled with a gas too toxic for humans to enter, so they decided the best possible thing to do was set it on fire. And it's been burning away ever since. 35 years to be

exact.

So if they hadn't set this, apparently infinite, source of flammable gas on fire, we would have had endless fuel?

Following on from the unusual deaths thread...

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов).

The lack of eyewitnesses and subsequent investigations into the hikers' deaths have inspired much speculation. Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.[1] According to sources, four of the victims' clothing contained substantial levels of radiation. There is no mention of this in contemporary documentation; it only appears in later documents.[1] Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.[1] The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.[2][3]

:unsure:

Edit: link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Edited by SoapMactavish

Ghost towns are pretty intriguing. Basically, when a town becomes abandoned and is left standing or in ruin without inhabitants. Often they're simply abandoned due to socio-economic changes, but the ones where a natural disaster or some other fate have befallen them are the most interesting. Centralia in Pennsylvania is one such town, and was the inspiration behind the town in the movie Silent Hill, though sadly not because it's full of monsters, simply as a result of the underground fire which has been burning since the 60s and resulted in almost all of the residents (eventually) moving out. There's still a handful of folk living in Centralia, despite Government attempts to move them and the fact that the Post Office have revoked their post code :lol:

Following on from the unusual deaths thread...

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов).

The lack of eyewitnesses and subsequent investigations into the hikers' deaths have inspired much speculation. Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.[1] According to sources, four of the victims' clothing contained substantial levels of radiation. There is no mention of this in contemporary documentation; it only appears in later documents.[1] Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.[1] The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.[2][3]

:unsure:

Edit: link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Fcuked up sheet

i've got a book full of these that i'll need to read again soon. two that spring to mind are the bélemez faces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9lmez_Faces

and there was also one about a teacher in russia who was able to project a copy of herself while in the classroom. apparently this 'projection' would watch over the class while the teachers back was turned. i can't find a link just now, but i'll have a look later.

Ghost towns are pretty intriguing. Basically, when a town becomes abandoned and is left standing or in ruin without inhabitants. Often they're simply abandoned due to socio-economic changes, but the ones where a natural disaster or some other fate have befallen them are the most interesting. Centralia in Pennsylvania is one such town, and was the inspiration behind the town in the movie Silent Hill, though sadly not because it's full of monsters, simply as a result of the underground fire which has been burning since the 60s and resulted in almost all of the residents (eventually) moving out. There's still a handful of folk living in Centralia, despite Government attempts to move them and the fact that the Post Office have revoked their post code :lol:

When my work were offering VR, I was gonna take the money and go on a tour around all the abandoned towns in the world. I had Centralia on my list - there's also a full city in Japan that held about 300,000 people that now has less than 5,000 in it. A town in France that was abonded during the 2nd world war and no-one went back after it. I'll need to find that list.

On the 'Gates of Hell' this is actually in Turkmenistan I believe, as that was on above list for some reason. I was looking into how to get a Visa (Hint: Not Easy). Also you'd have to have flown their from Birmingham which I didnt really fancy.

Obviously I didn't get the vr which was a shame ,although apparently you have to camp to get near the gates of hell and their are spiders the size of small cats running about the desert at night. Which would scare the shite right out of me....

Edited by untitled00

Aokigahara Forest

4901.jpg?v=1

Aokigahara is a woodland at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan that makes The Blair Witch Project forest look like Winnie the Pooh's Hundred Acre Wood. It probably has something to do with all the dead bodies scattered around.

What Niagara Falls is to weddings, Aokigahara is to suicide. How many suicides does it takes for a place to get that reputation? A dozen? Fifty?

More than 500 fucking people have taken their own lives in Aokigahara since the 1950s.

The trend has supposedly started after Seicho Matsumoto published his novel Kuroi Kaiju (Black Sea of Trees) where two of his characters commit suicide there. After that-always eager to prove they are bizarrely susceptible to suggestion-hundreds of Japanese people have hanged themselves among the countless trees of the Aokigahara forest, which is reportedly so thick that even in high noon it's not hard to find places completely surrounded by darkness.

4902.jpg?v=1

Also skulls.

Besides bodies and homemade nooses, the area is littered with signs displaying such uplifting messages like "Life is a precious thing! Please reconsider!" or "Think of your family!"

4903.jpg?v=1

"If you commit suicide here, bears will poop on your corpse."

In the 70s, the problem got national attention and the Japanese government began doing annual sweeps of the forest in search of bodies. In 2002, they found 78. But who knows how many they missed? In all likelihood there probably is a hanged person somewhere in Aokigahara on any given day. You can see some of them here. WARNING, NSFS (Not Safe For Soul).

By the way, if an entire dark forest full of hanged corpses wasn't bad enough, a few years ago some people noticed that a lot of the dead in Aokigahara probably had cash or jewelry on them. Thus began the proud Japanese tradition of Aokigahara Scavenging where people are running around the Death Forest, looking for dead guys to loot.

Aokigahara Forest

4901.jpg?v=1

Aokigahara is a woodland at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan that makes The Blair Witch Project forest look like Winnie the Pooh's Hundred Acre Wood. It probably has something to do with all the dead bodies scattered around.

What Niagara Falls is to weddings, Aokigahara is to suicide. How many suicides does it takes for a place to get that reputation? A dozen? Fifty?

More than 500 fucking people have taken their own lives in Aokigahara since the 1950s.

The trend has supposedly started after Seicho Matsumoto published his novel Kuroi Kaiju (Black Sea of Trees) where two of his characters commit suicide there. After that-always eager to prove they are bizarrely susceptible to suggestion-hundreds of Japanese people have hanged themselves among the countless trees of the Aokigahara forest, which is reportedly so thick that even in high noon it's not hard to find places completely surrounded by darkness.

4902.jpg?v=1

Also skulls.

Besides bodies and homemade nooses, the area is littered with signs displaying such uplifting messages like "Life is a precious thing! Please reconsider!" or "Think of your family!"

4903.jpg?v=1

In the 70s, the problem got national attention and the Japanese government began doing annual sweeps of the forest in search of bodies. In 2002, they found 78. But who knows how many they missed? In all likelihood there probably is a hanged person somewhere in Aokigahara on any given day. You can see some of them here. WARNING, NSFS (Not Safe For Soul).

By the way, if an entire dark forest full of hanged corpses wasn't bad enough, a few years ago some people noticed that a lot of the dead in Aokigahara probably had cash or jewelry on them. Thus began the proud Japanese tradition of Aokigahara Scavenging where people are running around the Death Forest, looking for dead guys to loot.

Bit like Gloomy Sunday

http://en.wikipedia....i/Gloomy_Sunday

/* */

Gloomy Sunday

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search For the film Gloomy Sunday, see Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod."Gloomy Sunday" is a song composed by Hungarian pianist and composer Rezső Seress in 1933, as Vége a világnak (End of the world)[1], with alternate Szomorú vasárnap (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈsomoruː ˈvɒʃaːrnɒp]) (Sad Sunday) lyrics written by László Jávor. The original lyrics depicted a war-stricken Hungary and a silent prayer to God. Jávor's lyrics are a mourning to a lost lover and a pledge to commit suicide to meet said lover again in the afterlife.[2]

Contents

[hide]

• 1 Billie Holiday
  • 2 Urban legends
  • 3 Performers
    • 3.1 Recorded versions

[*]4 In popular culture[*]5 See also[*]6 References[*]7 External links

[edit] Billie Holiday

Though recorded and performed by many singers, "Gloomy Sunday" is closely associated with Billie Holiday, who scored a hit version of the song in 1941. Owing to unsubstantiated urban legends about its inspiring hundreds of suicides, "Gloomy Sunday" was dubbed the "Hungarian suicide song" in the United States. Seress did commit suicide in 1968, likely due to depression and trauma caused by his imprisonment and his mother's death in a Nazi concentration camp during the Second World War rather than a song, but most other rumors of the song being banned from radio, or sparking suicides, are unsubstantiated, and were partly propagated as a deliberate marketing campaign.[3] Possibly due to the context of the Second World War, though, Billie Holiday's version was banned by the BBC until the turn of the century.[4]

[edit] Urban legends

There have been several urban legends regarding the song over the years, mostly involving it being allegedly connected with various numbers of suicides, and radio networks reacting by purportedly banning the song. However, most of these claims are unsubstantiated.[5]

In January 1968, Rezső Seress, the original composer, committed suicide in Budapest; he survived jumping out of a window, but later in the hospital choked himself to death with a wire. His obituary in the New York Times mentions the song's notorious reputation :

"Budapest, January 13. Rezsoe Seres, whose dirge-like song hit, "Gloomy Sunday" was blamed for touching off a wave of suicides during the nineteen-thirties, has ended his own life as a suicide it was learned today. Authorities disclosed today that Mr. Seres jumped from a window of his small apartment here last Sunday, shortly after his 69th birthday.

The decade of the nineteen-thirties was marked by severe economic depression and the political upheaval that was to lead to World War II. The melancholy song written by Mr. Seres, with words by his friend, Ladislas Javor, a poet, declares at its climax, "My heart and I have decided to end it all." It was blamed for a sharp increase in suicides, and Hungarian officials finally prohibited it. In America, where Paul Robeson introduced an English version, some radio stations and nightclubs forbade its performance.

Mr. Seres complained that the success of "Gloomy Sunday" actually increased his unhappiness, because he knew he would never be able to write a second hit.

"The New York Times, January 14, 1968, [6]

In 1997 Billy Mackenzie, vocalist with Scottish band The Associates (who recorded a cover of Holiday's version in 1982), committed suicide near his father's home in Dundee.

The codifying of the urban legend appears in an article attributed to "D.P. MacDonald" and titled "Overture to Death", the text of which has been reproduced and disseminated countless times online. According to the website of Phespirit the article was originally published by the 'Justin and Angi' site to augment their now defunct "Gloomy Sunday Radio Show". Their introduction to the article reads:

Edited by THE KING

I love stuff like Ghost towns etc, all creepy shit that can't be explained.

I done a report on unexplained mass murders for Higher English years ago, some of the stuff i heard about was fucking brutal, literally had nightmares about it (like 6 year olds commiting suicide because 'HE' told them too).

And LichtieForLife that is just incredible

edit: The American school shooting in 1999, the killers apparently had no motive, just thought it would be fun :blink:

Edited by Long live the 69

Aokigahara Forest

4901.jpg?v=1

4902.jpg?v=1

Also skulls.

4903.jpg?v=1

for some reason this story reminded me of this

japanese self-mummification :blink:

When my work were offering VR, I was gonna take the money and go on a tour around all the abandoned towns in the world. I had Centralia on my list - there's also a full city in Japan that held about 300,000 people that now has less than 5,000 in it. A town in France that was abonded during the 2nd world war and no-one went back after it. I'll need to find that list.

On the 'Gates of Hell' this is actually in Turkmenistan I believe, as that was on above list for some reason. I was looking into how to get a Visa (Hint: Not Easy). Also you'd have to have flown their from Birmingham which I didnt really fancy.

Obviously I didn't get the vr which was a shame ,although apparently you have to camp to get near the gates of hell and their are spiders the size of small cats running about the desert at night. Which would scare the shite right out of me....

The town in France is Oradour-sur-Glane which was abonded after 642 of its inhabitants, including women and children, were massacred by the SS.

i've got a book full of these that i'll need to read again soon. two that spring to mind are the bélemez faces: http://en.wikipedia....C3%A9lmez_Faces

and there was also one about a teacher in russia who was able to project a copy of herself while in the classroom. apparently this 'projection' would watch over the class while the teachers back was turned. i can't find a link just now, but i'll have a look later.

As for the Belemez faces, I think the most telling line in your link was Skeptics have performed extensive tests on the faces and maintain they have demonstrated that fakery has been involved.

And secondly no she couldn't.

Polybius isn't real. There was no substantive mention of it in any Portland-area newspapers at the time, even though this was the golden age of arcade gaming. No documentation pertaining to the development team has ever arisen. And above all it's simply a mish-mash of other early video game conspiracy theories (government involvement, subliminal messages, corruption of youth etc.)