The Creepy & The Strange

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last week I put a couple of bottles of fizzy water in the fridge. One of them is now empty, with no hole in the bottle, no spillage in the fridge, and most curiously, no broken seal on the lid. I await the inevitable scientific explanation from the P&B dept of physical sciences....

Supermik is living under your bed.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last week I put a couple of bottles of fizzy water in the fridge. One of them is now empty, with no hole in the bottle, no spillage in the fridge, and most curiously, no broken seal on the lid. I await the inevitable scientific explanation from the P&B dept of physical sciences....

Zzzzzzooooooollllll!!!!

Few weird things in my house lately. My wife's voice calling my name when she wasn't there, a ball being kicked against a wall when there was no-one to kick it, heard a thump from the empty kitchen and went to investigate to find a loaf of bread had removed itself from the bread bin and was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor about a metre or more away, my wife felt two tugs at her shirt in the kitchen at night when she was alone, various bumps and thumps and often things moved, like doors opened, shoes not where we left them etc.

Even more bizarre given that we have lived here nearly a decade and this only started within recent months.

I'm a total skeptic naturally, but do find I can't explain these things.

Starting to wonder if my infant daughter is linked in some way to it. The night she was born, me, my wife, the midwife and our daughter were all in the labour suite at the hospital, about an hour after she'd arrived, and the hospital bassinet at the other end of the room moved in front of us all of its own accord, rolling very slowly and steadily about a metre and then stopped again. It was on a completely flat vinyl floor, had been sitting there without moving for over an hour previously, and none of us were anywhere near it. The midwife was pretty freaked out. Recounted that tale to my mum days later after the wife and wean were discharged from hospital and she replied "what time was this at?" which struck me as an odd reply. Turns out, she was at home, in bed, awake, at 1am that night and felt someone sit on her bed, she says she instantly believed it was my late step-father and that he was there because he was happy at the baby's arrival. The moving bassinet happened an hour before across the city at midnight.

Hard to pinpoint an exact date on these phenonema, but they've been happening for around 3 to 6 months and my daughter is three months old. Don't know what to make of it, but as a skeptic my natural instinct is to try and find some rational explanataion to it, though I'm admittedly struggling to. My son is nearing four and has recently decided he's afraid of the dark in his bedroom too, despite never having been before. But that could well just be normal 3-4 year old behaviour.

Odd.

57 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The night she was born, me, my wife, the midwife and our daughter were all in the labour suite at the hospital, about an hour after she'd arrived, and the hospital bassinet at the other end of the room moved in front of us all of its own accord, rolling very slowly and steadily about a metre and then stopped again. It was on a completely flat vinyl floor, had been sitting there without moving for over an hour previously, and none of us were anywhere near it. The midwife was pretty freaked out.

Seem like a key word, to me.

There are two options, here:

1. Supernatural suspension of the laws of physics causing an object that is at rest to move without any external force. The only thing against that is that there is no documented case of this happening in the history of the world.

2. Some force caused the object to move. Against this, people would have to be mistaken about a surface being completely level, or about the amount of friction in the rollers (which are designed to be as close to zero friction as they can be, or about some other effect such as vibration or stored potential energy in a compressed component.

Not a betting man, but I would tend towards the one that's possible.

But the loaf that was in a different place to where you thought it was is frankly inexplicable. In an unrelated question, does anyone else live in the house with the two of you and the baby?

3 minutes ago, sugna said:

Seem like a key word, to me.

There are two options, here:

1. Supernatural suspension of the laws of physics causing an object that is at rest to move without any external force. The only thing against that is that there is no documented case of this happening in the history of the world.

2. Some force caused the object to move. Against this, people would have to be mistaken about a surface being completely level, or about the amount of friction in the rollers (which are designed to be as close to zero friction as they can be, or about some other effect such as vibration or stored potential energy in a compressed component.

Not a betting man, but I would tend towards the one that's possible.

But the loaf that was in a different place to where you thought it was is frankly inexplicable. In an unrelated question, does anyone else live in the house with the two of you and the baby?

Hi Sugna,

Sweet Pete here.

Yes, a small dog. The small dog was not near the bread at the time, nor in fact was it even in the kitchen. No-one was. The mystery of the flying loaf of Warburton's Toastie remains unsolved.

Warmest regards for the season,

Yours etc.

Edit to add: Entire occupants of the estate of S.Pete Esq are as follows:

Lord of the Manor

Lady of the Manor

Master Pete

Miss Pete

Hound of the Baskervilles.

Edited by Sweet Pete

Thanks, Pete. I have the score at 1-1, then: no supernatural explanation  required for the hospital, but some yeasty intervention in the kitchen.

I note that is was a Warburton's "Toastie" loaf. Seem likely that the bread bin rejected this abomination.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Few weird things in my house lately. My wife's voice calling my name when she wasn't there, a ball being kicked against a wall when there was no-one to kick it, heard a thump from the empty kitchen and went to investigate to find a loaf of bread had removed itself from the bread bin and was lying in the middle of the kitchen floor about a metre or more away, my wife felt two tugs at her shirt in the kitchen at night when she was alone, various bumps and thumps and often things moved, like doors opened, shoes not where we left them etc.

Even more bizarre given that we have lived here nearly a decade and this only started within recent months.

Starting to wonder if my infant daughter is linked in some way to it. The night she was born, me, my wife, the midwife and our daughter were all in the labour suite at the hospital, about an hour after she'd arrived, and the hospital bassinet at the other end of the room moved in front of us all of its own accord, rolling very slowly and steadily about a metre and then stopped again. It was on a completely flat vinyl floor, had been sitting there without moving for over an hour previously, and none of us were anywhere near it. The midwife was pretty freaked out. Recounted that tale to my mum days later after the wife and wean were discharged from hospital and she replied "what time was this at?" which struck me as an odd reply. Turns out, she was at home, in bed, awake, at 1am that night and felt someone sit on her bed, she says she instantly believed it was my late step-father and that he was there because he was happy at the baby's arrival. The moving bassinet happened an hour before across the city at midnight.

Hard to pinpoint an exact date on these phenonema, but they've been happening for around 3 to 6 months and my daughter is three months old. Don't know what to make of it, but as a skeptic my natural instinct is to try and find some rational explanataion to it, though I'm admittedly struggling to. My son is nearing four and has recently decided he's afraid of the dark in his bedroom too, despite never having been before. But that could well just be normal 3-4 year old behaviour.

Odd.

What's a bassinet?

When stuff goes bump in the night it's very likely to be sleep paralysis. You'd swear you're awake and genuinely hearing/seeing things. Tensions can be high with a new arrival in the house - folk are tired, grouchy and their nerves are on edge and simple stuff like things falling over can take on greater significance. Sounds more like frazzled parents than the supernatural.   

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Odd.

It's quite clearly your crazy neighbour fronting up a new campaign to replace you.  I can't believe this wasn't your first thought.

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

What's a bassinet?

When stuff goes bump in the night it's very likely to be sleep paralysis. You'd swear you're awake and genuinely hearing/seeing things. Tensions can be high with a new arrival in the house - folk are tired, grouchy and their nerves are on edge and simple stuff like things falling over can take on greater significance. Sounds more like frazzled parents than the supernatural.   

It's a crib type thing on wheels with shelves under it for storage, the NHS ones I'm talking about look a bit like an incubator but with an open top and are used for all new arrivals at NHS hospitals.

With this being our second we've actually both been pretty relaxed and sleeping relatively well. These bumps aren't always in the night either, otherwise it'd be easy to attribute them to timber swelling and shrinking, beams cooling etc. Generally, these things happen whilst we're awake and up and about in the house, rather than hearing a bump from our bed in a half sleep.

17 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It's quite clearly your crazy neighbour fronting up a new campaign to replace you.  I can't believe this wasn't your first thought.

That, my *** friend, might be the perfect theory.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The bed thing is sleep paralysis I would agree with others just fried brains after all the stress perhaps? With all the cameras and phones people have right beside them at all times there's zero evidence of anything anywhere. Chill out it's nothing.

What bed thing? There is no sleep paralysis. None of this has happened when we've been asleep or in bed. And I'm not un-chill.