qos_75

The Queen of the South Thread

28,507 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good news.

It's probably a mistake to read much into it, but Naysmith's enthusiasm in the quote doesn't sound too overwhelming.

Not overly fussed going by his appearances last season. But hopeful a good pre season can help him kick on again

Good news.
It's probably a mistake to read much into it, but Naysmith's enthusiasm in the quote doesn't sound too overwhelming.

I was told he was offered less money* so perhaps Naysmith wasn't arsed either way.

Pre-Hibs Carmichael - Excellent signing.

Post-Hibs Carmichael - Meh signing.

* It's Dumfries though and we know what rumours around here are like.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I was told he was offered less money* so perhaps Naysmith wasn't arsed either way.

Pre-Hibs Carmichael - Excellent signing.

Post-Hibs Carmichael - Meh signing.

* It's Dumfries though and we know what rumours around here are like.

Presumably Naysmith wants Danny to stay but not to the extent that he wishes to use more budget than is necessary to make that happen, 

Pragmatic management in my view and that`s from someone who remains to be convinced by Naysmith.

I`m pleased Danny has signed on again but if he`d left it wouldn`t have been a big issue for me. I`m not sure where he could have gone that would have been a better bet than staying with us and presumably Naysmith felt the same.

Hopefully with a good preseason under his belt Danny can get back to the player he was 3-4 years ago.

I'm happy Danny signed up for another year and echo the comments above. Hopefully he can get off to a good start when league cup groups start

Agree with most comments re Danny.

To be fair given Danny's recent injury record and his failure to make the grade at Hibs (for whatever reason)I am not sure if he would have got any competing offers from a Scottish team with a higher status than our own. Add in the local element and it was probably a relatively easy decision for him.

Personally I think Danny is potentially still a really good option for us. Hopefully our manager will eventually deploy him in his best position - can't believe that he somehow thought that his performances wide left were adding any tangible value. Play him on the right - coach him diligently on delivery and finishing and we could have a terrific player once again.

Glad he's staying. Always a good idea to have a few local boys in the squad if possible. Gav Reilly next signing hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Aye hopefully.

Can't see it but aye hopefully. 

Reilly's career has clearly taken a disappointing turn and sadly, it may well be that the peaks of it have already been reached.

There won't be many Queens fans though who wouldn't welcome him back.  Personally, I'd love to see it.

We have undoubtedly missed his work rate and his ability to press ball high up pitch. His lack of technical ability has sadly been found out a bit and I suspect that mid table Champ is about his level.

May be a good time to get him as he should have a big point to prove. Worth taking a chance with if he is prepared to accept that after a horrendous time at Pars we may just be his best available option.

Can't see it but aye hopefully. 

Well good luck Gav. Ya Shite hoor!

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Reilly's career has clearly taken a disappointing turn and sadly, it may well be that the peaks of it have already been reached.

There won't be many Queens fans though who wouldn't welcome him back.  Personally, I'd love to see it.

Reilly has had one bad season so I think your first sentence is perhaps a tad over-dramatic.  He's only just turned 24!

It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  As you say he would be welcomed back to Palmerston with open arms.  His harrying style would be a perfect foil for Dobbie, and perhaps working alongside him would improve his composure in front of goal which has always been his weakness.

I don't see it happening though.  I'd heard he was looking to find a move in England.

Reilly has had one bad season so I think your first sentence is perhaps a tad over-dramatic.  He's only just turned 24!
It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  As you say he would be welcomed back to Palmerston with open arms.  His harrying style would be a perfect foil for Dobbie, and perhaps working alongside him would improve his composure in front of goal which has always been his weakness.
I don't see it happening though.  I'd heard he was looking to find a move in England.

He could stop off at us for a season on the way down

Has Reilly been released from Hearts thought he had another season

Edited by Northfield 53

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It clearly hasn't worked out for him at Dunfermline but these things happen.  

You can't say that his season at Hearts was successful either.

He obviously had a tough job on his hands to become established in his position at a club of that size, but if it had gone well, he wouldn't have been farmed out.

I'm not having a go at him, but it's gone badly since he left us and he wouldn't be the first player who struggles to recapture earlier form.

Despite that, I'd be genuinely excited to see him back at us.

13 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Has Reilly been released from Hearts thought he had another season

He signed a 3 year deal when he joined Hearts so as you suggest has another year to run on that as things stand.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You can't say that his season at Hearts was successful either.

He obviously had a tough job on his hands to become established in his position at a club of that size, but if it had gone well, he wouldn't have been farmed out.

I'm not having a go at him, but it's gone badly since he left us and he wouldn't be the first player who struggles to recapture earlier form.

Despite that, I'd be genuinely excited to see him back at us.

I'm sure I've argued this point in the past but his first season at Hearts was hardly a disaster.  He scored 4 goals in 28 appearances at a level he had never played at before.  He was hardly prolific in his time with us, his best season he scored 15.  I'd say playing 28 games was a success in itself.

I believe he's been told he isn't in Cathro's plans so I'd expect him to move onto pastures new.  Not being able to establish himself at one of the biggest clubs in the country is hardly a disgrace though.  So I stand by my original comment, he has had one bad season.  Yes it is his most recent season but still, I very much doubt it is an indicator of a downward spiral.  There were never any problems with his attitude whilst at Queens so if he finds a club at the right level for his ability I'm sure he will find his form again.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that neither Reilly or Carmichael were able to establish themselves when they left us.  Neither are good enough for Hearts or Hibs and I'm fairly sure I would have said as much at the time.  That doesn't make either of them bad players, just not good enough for that level.  Both should be commended for giving it a go though, although I suspect in the case of both it was a bit of a "no-brainer".