The Queen of the South thread

What I find hard to accept is that teams like Dunfermline and Livingstone, who had financial problems not so long ago, can afford a player budget way in excess of ours. Totally accept that we do, and should, live within our means but it's a bit galling when you see teams who were at, or almost at, administration who can now splash the cash.

19 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

What I find hard to accept is that teams like Dunfermline and Livingstone, who had financial problems not so long ago, can afford a player budget way in excess of ours. Totally accept that we do, and should, live within our means but it's a bit galling when you see teams who were at, or almost at, administration who can now splash the cash.

Think it is pretty obvious,

Their average attendance was 5243 whereas yours was 1457.

That's 3786 more. Say an average of £15 quid a ticket would make it £56790 for one game. 18 home games, that's over 1million more that what Queens got from gate receipts last season.

That's 3786 more. Say an average of £15 quid a ticket would make it £56790 for one game. 18 home games, that's over 1million more that what Queens got from gate receipts last season.

Absolutely schooled him

55 minutes ago, madton said:

Overly simplistic, but yes, that's the reason.

Dunfermline's average per head for the extra fans probably isn't £15 per head net of VAT but then even for the 1400 odds we did have, they were all paying circa £5 per head less than Dunfermline. Dunfermline made a point of confirming last season that they include season ticket holders who don't turn up. We don't but I doubt it makes that much odds. I don't think there's much doubt Dunfermline will be taking between £500,000 and £1m per season more than us in gate receipts.

Livingston is less obvious but then I don't actually see any evidence that Livingston's budget (last year) was any bigger than ours. I doubt it was. It will be now obviously but £1m of extra prize money for  being in the Premiership accounts for that.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ooft, and I thought Dunfermline were building a decent wee team.

Decent back up squad player. 

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Posted profits on our last two accounts, we've been living more within our means than what you have recently. 

It is frustrating when you see players that you would like to sign going to competitors. As has been said the economic argument is pretty compelling.

As I have said a number of times it is over 55 years since we have played in top league. I don't think it is unreasonable to have gained promotion to top league at least once in that period. To achieve this we need to find a Manager who can make some inspired signings, see talent in players that others have overlooked, create a fabulous team spirit, create that all important collective motivation (like Hopkin did) and find a tactical formula that plays to squad strengths.

We haven't unearthed such an individual in 55 years but that is not to say that we haven't recruited some very good managers in that time. I still live in hope that this will be the year otherwise what's the point but I am saying this more in hope than expectation.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It is frustrating when you see players that you would like to sign going to competitors. As has been said the economic argument is pretty compelling.

As I have said a number of times it is over 55 years since we have played in top league. I don't think it is unreasonable to have gained promotion to top league at least once in that period. To achieve this we need to find a Manager who can make some inspired signings, see talent in players that others have overlooked, create a fabulous team spirit, create that all important collective motivation (like Hopkin did) and find a tactical formula that plays to squad strengths.

We haven't unearthed such an individual in 55 years but that is not to say that we haven't recruited some very good managers in that time. I still live in hope that this will be the year otherwise what's the point but I am saying this more in hope than expectation.

Livi had a budget similar to us last season but had a manager who got the right players in it can be done on a small budget maybe Naysmith had 4 or 5 players lined up just taking his time signing them !!!

Don't panic yet lads, there's a lot of teams in this Division taking a gamble on expenditure. They all can't go up, so there's some risky chances being taken. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple approaching financial meltdown at the end of next season.

I always expected to see Loy in a QoS jersey at some point for whatever reason. He was always one of those 'hate figures' that you would love to have in your side. McMenamin, Tosh, Harkins and Lyle (as he got a ribbing from us when he featured for Dundee) are 4 examples I can think of off the top of my head. Ian Harty was another but he loved to hate us so much he never signed for us.

I always expected to see Loy in a QoS jersey at some point for whatever reason. He was always one of those 'hate figures' that you would love to have in your side. McMenamin, Tosh, Harkins and Lyle (as he got a ribbing from us when he featured for Dundee) are 4 examples I can think of off the top of my head. Ian Harty was another but he loved to hate us so much he never signed for us.

Am sure Harty played for us at some point a few years back