The Queen of the South thread

No point saying this but we could have gone with 3 in midfield playing a 3 _5_ 2 formation Thomson being our attacking midfielder .

What the hell is going in at Queens money is tight but we just had to find the money to sign Thomson .

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Assuming we're going with a middle 4, who would you drop between Harkins and Jacobs?

Harkins is a far more creative player than Thomson and we've lacked such creativity for years. So he has to be a starter. Jacobs isn't the greatest at distribution but is a good enough DM. As he was already signed I don't think it would be advisable to break the bank for another CM when we have two who are capable in their respective roles.. I expect Bell will play a bigger role this season and will take less of a wage.

I'm not gutted we haven't got Thomson as I never expected him to re-sign. I'm gutted that he'll be lining up against us.

Yeah this, pretty much. I'd have loved to get Thomson back and I'm sure we spoke to him but I'm also sure we'd be nowhere near able to compete with Dunfermline financially. And where exactly we'd have played him would also have been an issue. He didn't really fit a 4-4-2 at all with his best position really being the attacking one of a middle three in a 3-5-2, which is unlikely to be how we set up. In a 4-4-2 he would have either had to play wide or replace Harkins or Jacobs (or play up front off Dobbie or Dykes I suppose if one of them was out).

Disappointed he will be lining up against us as you say though. We clearly need a left back and another centre back much more than we needed Joe Thomson.

19 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Been reliably informed that the promise to put a photo up on social media with him holding a scarf was the clincher. 

IMG_20180615_141838.jpg.9db5ceabe08185030d06c37ec795a32d.jpg

Talk to me. 

:lol: I expect you're right.

Any new signing is a risk but we all no what we would have been getting from Joe Thomson .When very good players become available you do all you can to sign them.

Amazing to say we need as left back and a centre half more than Joe Thomson what a load of rubbish you can't have enough good players 

38 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Any new signing is a risk but we all no what we would have been getting from Joe Thomson .When very good players become available you do all you can to sign them.

Amazing to say we need as left back and a centre half more than Joe Thomson what a load of rubbish you can't have enough good players 

The only rubbish is coming from yourself. The defence needs a massive overhaul, particulary full back. If we could of got him then great thats a big win for us. As it is i would rather concentrate on the signings we make, than other clubs.

48 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Your whole argument is based on the assumption the club didn't do all they could to sign him.  I'd be almost certain in saying they at least enquired about signing him.

As soon as Dunfermline showed an interest it's actually pretty irrelevant whether we did try or sign him or not, because as a wise poster once said "players will always sign for the most money".

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Morton away to start, Morton home and away on Tuesdays.

Ayr at home between Xmas and New Year. A wee 5th January trip to Inverness will be much appreciated I'm sure! Other trips to the Highlands are 8th December and 27th April for County and 29th September for the other Inverness one.

And Falkirk get to be our Centenary opponents on 23rd March.

I am sure (but not positive) that Alan Ball made his debut against the Bairns many years ago ,and think he played his 500th game against us at Brockville and got an excellent reception.Perhaps SD can give us more accurate info . Another nice wee honour for Falkirk on such a landmark occasion.

36 minutes ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

I am sure (but not positive) that Alan Ball made his debut against the Bairns many years ago ,and think he played his 500th game against us at Brockville and got an excellent reception.Perhaps SD can give us more accurate info . Another nice wee honour for Falkirk on such a landmark occasion.

Spoiler

You're quite right,  Ball's debut was at Palmerston on December 14th 1963 against Falkirk. Falkirk won 6-3.

The only rubbish is coming from yourself. The defence needs a massive overhaul, particulary full back. If we could of got him then great thats a big win for us. As it is i would rather concentrate on the signings we make, than other clubs.

If you need a solid left back, may I recommend one who is currently a free agent and can snuff out attacks with ease...

I don’t normally bother with who other clubs sign but as you missed out on a JT, thought it was worth pointing out another.

Morton away to start, Morton home and away on Tuesdays.
Ayr at home between Xmas and New Year. A wee 5th January trip to Inverness will be much appreciated I'm sure! Other trips to the Highlands are 8th December and 27th April for County and 29th September for the other Inverness one.
And Falkirk get to be our Centenary opponents on 23rd March.
Centenary eh.... Been some journey for you boys.

10 hours ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

Allan Ball now there is a legend. GREAT keeper .