The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You were also desperate to suggest the commercial dept of lacking the "joined up thinking" to organise such a thing though. The way people go on you'd think people at the club sit on their fingers wondering what to do with their day until someone who knows much better points them in the right direction!

Go ask local businesses if they've had enough of Danny phoning them or visiting and trying to punt something else at them yet. He's at it every spare minute he has. It's very easy to post online that you can get this, that and the next thing sponsored. It's a whole lot harder to find someone who will actually part with the cash in what is a rural area with a fairly depressed local economy and little in the way of significant advertising budgets. Every "yes" is preceded by a multitude of "no's" and the club is very grateful to every single sponsor who helps out but it's nowhere near as easy as is being made out.

Well said.

Can’t wait for the season to start and we can all revert to arguing about the football!

Anyone on here taking their kids to the football camp that run through the summer holidays? 

Not sure what to make of it. My wee boy is nearly 6 and likes football but it's not his main interest, he tends to get fed up playing football after a little while. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You were also desperate to suggest the commercial dept of lacking the "joined up thinking" to organise such a thing though. The way people go on you'd think people at the club sit on their fingers wondering what to do with their day until someone who knows much better points them in the right direction!

Go ask local businesses if they've had enough of Danny phoning them or visiting and trying to punt something else at them yet. He's at it every spare minute he has. It's very easy to post online that you can get this, that and the next thing sponsored. It's a whole lot harder to find someone who will actually part with the cash in what is a rural area with a fairly depressed local economy and little in the way of significant advertising budgets. Every "yes" is preceded by a multitude of "no's" and the club is very grateful to every single sponsor who helps out but it's nowhere near as easy as is being made out.

I wasn't desperate to suggest anything.  The intimation in this thread was that we were missing out on commercial opportunities by not having the man power to chase them, but you have suggested otherwise.  As the poster on here most likely to know these things I'm happy to admit I was completely wrong.  Very aptly I see we have announced a new sponsor for one of the stands today.

On 05/06/2018 at 19:52, Skyline Drifter said:

Connolly was in charge for 4 years but yes he had a huge turnover of players. It was pre windows of course and plenty guys arrived and left on one month contracts or as trialists.

I might work out how many players Naysmith has used later but I imagine it will be 30 odd.

Been meaning to get back to this for a while but now I've got a chance. Naysmith has used the following since taking charge:

Lee Robinson, Jamie Hamill, Jordan Marshall, Andy Dowie, Darren Brownlie, Chris Higgins, Grant Anderson, Mark Millar, Derek Lyle, Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Jake Pickard, Dean Brotherston, Danny Carmichael, Kyle Jacobs, Owen Moxon, Ross Fergusson, Owen Bell, John Rankin, Joe Thomson, Dom Thomas, Connor Murray, Scott Mercer, Dale Hilson, Connor McManus, Jim Atkinson, Callum Tapping, Jesse Akubuine, Myles Beerman, Callum Fordyce, Kyle Cameron, Jack Leighfield, Alan Martin, Shaun Rooney, Andy Stirling, Josh Todd, Nikolay Todorov, Chris Kane, Jason Kerr & James McFadden.

Unused Subs: Scott Hooper, Ryan Nelson, Cameron Copland, Ayrton Sonkur, Ewan Gourlay, Dan Harvey, Sam Henderson, Curtis Lyle

Slightly surprised to find he's used 40 players in terms of actually getting pitch time (and another 8 who have been subs but not got on).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Been meaning to get back to this for a while but now I've got a chance. Naysmith has used the following since taking charge:

Lee Robinson, Jamie Hamill, Jordan Marshall, Andy Dowie, Darren Brownlie, Chris Higgins, Grant Anderson, Mark Millar, Derek Lyle, Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Jake Pickard, Dean Brotherston, Danny Carmichael, Kyle Jacobs, Owen Moxon, Ross Fergusson, Owen Bell, John Rankin, Joe Thomson, Dom Thomas, Connor Murray, Scott Mercer, Dale Hilson, Connor McManus, Jim Atkinson, Callum Tapping, Jesse Akubuine, Myles Beerman, Callum Fordyce, Kyle Cameron, Jack Leighfield, Shaun Rooney, Andy Stirling, Josh Todd, Nikolay Todorov, Chris Kane, Jason Kerr & James McFadden.

Unused Subs: Scott Hooper, Ryan Nelson, Cameron Copland, Ayrton Sonkur, Ewan Gourlay, Dan Harvey, Sam Henderson, Curtis Lyle

Slightly surprised to find he's used 39 players in terms of actually getting pitch time (and another 8 who have been subs but not got on).

Of the 39 how many have we left in squad for next season? The squads looking gie thin on the ground, would like to see a lot more transfer activity happening now. To stand any chance of reach playoffs we need some good strong defenders added to the squad. 

57 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lee Robinson, Jamie Hamill, Jordan Marshall, Andy Dowie, Darren Brownlie, Chris Higgins, Grant Anderson, Mark Millar, Derek Lyle, Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Jake Pickard, Dean Brotherston, Danny Carmichael, Kyle Jacobs, Owen Moxon, Ross Fergusson, Owen Bell, John Rankin, Joe Thomson, Dom Thomas, Connor Murray, Scott Mercer, Dale Hilson, Connor McManus, Jim Atkinson, Callum Tapping, Jesse Akubuine, Myles Beerman, Callum Fordyce, Kyle Cameron, Jack Leighfield, Shaun Rooney, Andy Stirling, Josh Todd, Nikolay Todorov, Chris Kane, Jason Kerr & James McFadden.

Slightly surprised to find he's used 39 players in terms of actually getting pitch time (and another 8 who have been subs but not got on).

A good effort SD but no gold star.  Can't see Alan Martin on that list. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Of the 39 how many have we left in squad for next season? The squads looking gie thin on the ground, would like to see a lot more transfer activity happening now. To stand any chance of reach playoffs we need some good strong defenders added to the squad. 

Good strong defenders cost money something Queens don't have a lot of.

Good strong defenders cost money something Queens don't have a lot of.

So you keep saying but I’m lead to believe they made Kevin Holt a great offer to come back to Palmerston but only lost out to the Cypriot side. Not bad for a club with no money

40 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

So you keep saying but I’m lead to believe they made Kevin Holt a great offer to come back to Palmerston but only lost out to the Cypriot side. Not bad for a club with no money

Holty had several offers .Queens one was miles off what he is getting .As was the others from two SPL clubs .

Surprised Ross Forbes went to Dumbarton. I'd of gone for him if he was available. Still plenty of good players available. I'm sure we will be in for Thomson again. Ballantyne is being targeted for rb. For lb I can see Jordan Marshall returning. If Ayr is his best offer then hes as well coming back. If not Talbot is a good option. Also Aaron Taylor Sinclair who's been released by Plymouth if we could afford him is a terrific lb option. As for cb we are one of many after McCart who's a promising young cb released by Celtic. We need a commanding one, ideally who can also play abit. Steeplechat! You stated Brownlie is out till the new year! Is this true? If so what's the cause? Can anyone confirm this? We need a winger maybe 2 should Stirling be punted. Higginbotham and Cardle I'm sure will be on the wishlist both decent options. I appreciate however the manager has signed guys who can fill in various roles like Dykes and Todd who can play on the wing when needed. 1 more striker also needed. Maybe a young lively guy on loan. So I reckon we need at least 1 cb a lb, a rb, a winger, a cm and a striker

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This post should really be the final word on some of the nonsense on this thread.

The reasons for us struggling a bit for money are way beyond, and not a meaningful reflection of, how people at the club approach the relevant tasks.

We seem to lurch on here from suggestions that the club is magnificently run, allowing no room or need for fan representation; to criticism based on the board's amateurish failure to do anything of use.

I'd imagine that neither depiction is terribly accurate.

Guest Flash
17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This post should really be the final word on some of the nonsense on this thread.

The reasons for us struggling a bit for money are way beyond, and not a meaningful reflection of, how people at the club approach the relevant tasks.

We seem to lurch on here from suggestions that the club is magnificently run, allowing no room or need for fan representation; to criticism based on the board's amateurish failure to do anything of use.

I'd imagine that neither depiction is terribly accurate.

What are you on about now? 

There is no apparent sponsorship of the after match interviews. There is no sponsorship of the live updates. I questioned why they weren’t included as an option in the sponsorship booklet. Mr X indicated that we didn’t even have anybody trying to sell online advertising. So people were making suggestions on points that they thought had been overlooked because they are not currently done and Mr X had indicated were not attempted to be done.

Turned out that Mr X was mistaken. But, in the period between that being admitted and the topic originating, the discussion wasn’t nonsense. And at no point did I suggest that there was an amateurish failure by anybody.

I’m not sure why you and SD are getting so agitated when all I was doing was trying to make helpful suggestions for the reasons set out in the second paragraph above. Just because a suggestion is made doesn’t mean you think everybody involved is useless.  

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

There is no apparent sponsorship of the after match interviews. There is no sponsorship of the live updates. I questioned why they weren’t included as an option in the sponsorship booklet. Mr X indicated that we didn’t even have anybody trying to sell online advertising. So people were making suggestions on points that they thought had been overlooked because they are not currently done and Mr X had indicated were not attempted to be done.

Turned out that Mr X was mistaken. But, in the period between that being admitted and the topic originating, the discussion wasn’t nonsense. And at no point did I suggest that there was an amateurish failure by anybody.

I’m not sure why you and SD are getting so agitated when all I was doing was trying to make helpful suggestions for the reasons set out in the second paragraph above. Just because a suggestion is made doesn’t mean you think everybody involved is useless.  

This.

I dont, necessarily, see people asking questions about things the club arent doing, particularly that others are, as being a criticism of the club or those that are involved with it.

Theres been no suggestion that people arent working hard for the club, or with its best interests at heart. However, I do wonder if, in some aspects, the club is stuck in a bit of a rut, continuing to do things the same way and that change is seen as a burden rather than an opportunity. Again, this isnt a criticisim, its an easy thing to happen particularly when manpower and time are tight.

3 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Jeezo.....if this is a taste of things to come this summer I think I’ll terminate my P&B membership!!

Anyway, hopefully this apt classic Mary Whitehouse Experience sketch will help lighten the mood emoji120.png

That's you, that is.

Jeezo.....if this is a taste of things to come this summer I think I’ll terminate my P&B membership!!
Anyway, hopefully this apt classic Mary Whitehouse Experience sketch will help lighten the mood [emoji120]

Superb. All we need now is a sponsor for this thread.

13 hours ago, Flash said:

I got "agitated" specifically at pammy cammy's comment about lacking "joined up thinking" as he recommended something we've been doing since about 7 years before he suggested it. I haven't commented on your posts at all. I made my point to him and left it.

For what it's worth though, notwithstanding the lack of logos on them, probably because they tend to be published very quickly post match, any filming by Malcolm is sponsored by Wilsons who provide the equipment to do it. This includes post match interviews.

There is no sponsorship of the live updates, you're right. At this precise moment though there are also no Live Updates as the individual who did them last year won't be doing them moving forward. Whilst it's a fair point that we've probably never tried to sell sponsorship of them, we basically can't do so while we don't necessarily have a product to sell.

We don't generally do a lot with online advertising. The website carries basically the adverts the SPFL and SFA require it to carry along with one for BDS (new stand sponsors) and one for SSAFA which I think is there on a charitable basis but it may be linked to their hoardings both in the Arena and at Palmerston (not sure). Other than BDS it doesn't carry commercial advertising. The Facebook page doesn't either. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram but not conscious we promote anything digitally there either. Personally I'm quite pleased about that but fair enough, it's an area we could actively look at better. I do suspect though that it's unlikely the pool of advertising cash would get any bigger. It would likely just see people move away from programme ads and hoardings towards online ones if it was more widely available.