The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Things can sometimes carry a cost, as well as a price.

So, let’s say we have a logo in the corner of a goal update. Or a short advert before the interviews. What cost would those carry?

1 minute ago, Flash said:

So, let’s say we have a logo in the corner of a goal update. Or a short advert before the interviews. What cost would those carry?

I get the feeling Monkey Tennis is the type of fan who'd have a breakdown if your club accepted £400k from a sponsor to name the stadium after them.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I get the feeling Monkey Tennis is the type of fan who'd have a breakdown if your club accepted £400k from a sponsor to name the stadium after them.

Of course.

I've found even the mention of such a thing distressing.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I do find some of the clamour to raise little sums by whatever means a bit distasteful to be honest, but I suspect that's a minority view.

Im not really understanding your logic to your debate. Your usually a serious poster so if your trolling i have completly missed it. 

I take MT's point to a degree.  Sticking a sponsorship logo on every available item is pretty crass, and at times bordering ridiculous.  Rangers for example were roundly ridiculed recently for announcing their official vaping partner.

We can ill afford to turn our noses up at legitimate sources of income however.  It really would be cutting our nose to spite our face.  Having a local company sponsor the highlights, for example, seems innocent enough and would also build a relationship with a local business.  We are after all allegedly a community club (whatever that means).

13 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I take MT's point to a degree.  Sticking a sponsorship logo on every available item is pretty crass, and at times bordering ridiculous.  Rangers for example were roundly ridiculed recently for announcing their official vaping partner.

We can ill afford to turn our noses up at legitimate sources of income however.  It really would be cutting our nose to spite our face.  Having a local company sponsor the highlights, for example, seems innocent enough and would also build a relationship with a local business.  We are after all allegedly a community club (whatever that means).

Fair enough.

Is there much evidence that companies would be eager to pay for such opportunities though?  They could be added as prizes in the shirt draw I suppose, but I'm unconvinced that they'd excite a lot of additional interest, or enable the the price of a ticket to be hiked.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

Is there much evidence that companies would be eager to pay for such opportunities though?  They could be added as prizes in the shirt draw I suppose, but I'm unconvinced that they'd excite a lot of additional interest, or enable the the price of a ticket to be hiked.

I doubt it's going to generate a huge sum, but other clubs do it so it must be worthwhile.  Plus as I said in my previous post it gets a business involved with the club.

I've no idea if TN McKay or Alex Wilson sponsor the club in other ways already, but it shouldn't take too much joined up thinking from the Commercial Department to contact a business like those to sponsor QOSTV.

A common complaint from our fans is the rubbish at the ground, and the seagulls it attracts.  Why not contact Oakbank Skips or Armstrong Waste Management and ask them to donate a couple of bins which they can plaster their logo on to their hearts content.

No-one is asking the club to negotiate multi-million pound sponsorship deals with multi-national conglomerates but I've just come up with two examples in two minutes and I'm just a dafty on a fans forum who doesn't know what he's on about.  What's the worst that happens, they say no thanks.  Big deal.  Try a different company, or try again next year.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I doubt it's going to generate a huge sum, but other clubs do it so it must be worthwhile.  Plus as I said in my previous post it gets a business involved with the club.

I've no idea if TN McKay or Alex Wilson sponsor the club in other ways already, but it shouldn't take too much joined up thinking from the Commercial Department to contact a business like those to sponsor QOSTV.

No-one is asking the club to negotiate multi-million pound sponsorship deals with multi-national conglomerates but I've just come up with two examples in two minutes and I'm just a dafty on a fans forum who doesn't know what he's on about.  What's the worst that happens, they say no thanks.  Big deal.  Try a different company, or try again next year.

Wilsons already sponsor QoStv, which is why their logo usually appears on the highlights packages. They've been sponsoring it for as long as its existed and provided the equipment for it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

With just over 2 weeks until our first pre season game we haven't done very much in the player recruitment. If rumours are true about Brownlie being out for months, we are looking at needing to sign a whole new defence!! This was our problem area last season, I hope the manager has some good players lined up to sign or get in on loan. The clocks ticking and the players available are getting snapped up by our rivals every day....

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

With just over 2 weeks until our first pre season game we haven't done very much in the player recruitment. If rumours are true about Brownlie being out for months, we are looking at needing to sign a whole new defence!! This was our problem area last season, I hope the manager has some good players lined up to sign or get in on loan. The clocks ticking and the players available are getting snapped up by our rivals every day....

We are in the same boat, but Hartley has said a few times that he is after players from England and their contracts are expiring round about now. I would be far more worried if there has been no significant signings in the next week or so. Especially since the new cup format is extra pre-season games before league kick off.

Do you really want to be signing up guys who failed at Dunfermline and Dundee United anyway?

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wilsons already sponsor QoStv, which is why their logo usually appears on the highlights packages. They've been sponsoring it for as long as its existed and provided the equipment for it.

Fair enough that's good to hear and a great gesture by Wilsons.  I did put in the disclaimer that I didn't know what I was talking about!

Again maybe I've missed it but you'd think that's the sort of thing that would have prompted an item on the OS to publicise the new highlights packages and to thank the local business for making it happen.

23 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Fair enough that's good to hear and a great gesture by Wilsons.  I did put in the disclaimer that I didn't know what I was talking about!

Again maybe I've missed it but you'd think that's the sort of thing that would have prompted an item on the OS to publicise the new highlights packages and to thank the local business for making it happen.

It was nearly 10 years ago!

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As far as I can see, their logo appears on the thumbnail before playing the video and it isn’t otherwise present. Would it not be possible to generate more from a short advert before the highlights start, for example?

Also, the highlights don’t appear every week, whereas the after match interviews do. Could those not be sponsored as well?

I appreciate that if a business has been a long term sponsor, the club might not want to upset that relationship, so I guess it would depend on how much more could be earned by getting a different, or additional, sponsor.

37 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

You were also desperate to suggest the commercial dept of lacking the "joined up thinking" to organise such a thing though. The way people go on you'd think people at the club sit on their fingers wondering what to do with their day until someone who knows much better points them in the right direction!

Go ask local businesses if they've had enough of Danny phoning them or visiting and trying to punt something else at them yet. He's at it every spare minute he has. It's very easy to post online that you can get this, that and the next thing sponsored. It's a whole lot harder to find someone who will actually part with the cash in what is a rural area with a fairly depressed local economy and little in the way of significant advertising budgets. Every "yes" is preceded by a multitude of "no's" and the club is very grateful to every single sponsor who helps out but it's nowhere near as easy as is being made out.

Guest Flash
26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You were also desperate to suggest the commercial dept of lacking the "joined up thinking" to organise such a thing though. The way people go on you'd think people at the club sit on their fingers wondering what to do with their day until someone who knows much better points them in the right direction!

Go ask local businesses if they've had enough of Danny phoning them or visiting and trying to punt something else at them yet. He's at it every spare minute he has. It's very easy to post online that you can get this, that and the next thing sponsored. It's a whole lot harder to find someone who will actually part with the cash in what is a rural area with a fairly depressed local economy and little in the way of significant advertising budgets. Every "yes" is preceded by a multitude of "no's" and the club is very grateful to every single sponsor who helps out but it's nowhere near as easy as is being made out.

23 hours ago, Mr X said:

"Going out and selling it" was a general term covering all those points. I didnt literally mean an extra person employed just to sell online advertising. Not that we have anyone already doing it either, though.

Perhaps the impression that not much was being done in relation to online advertising came from Mr X saying we don’t have anyone doing that.

And if somebody is actually trying to sell those additional online things, that is great. However, my original point was that they aren’t included in the sponsorship booklet, therefore I thought it either wasn’t being done or a sponsor for next season had already been lined up. I don’t think I was suggesting it was easy to get sponsors. 

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

Perhaps the impression that not much was being done in relation to online advertising came from Mr X saying we don’t have anyone doing that.

And if somebody is actually trying to sell those additional online things, that is great. However, my original point was that they aren’t included in the sponsorship booklet, therefore I thought it either wasn’t being done or a sponsor for next season had already been lined up. I don’t think I was suggesting it was easy to get sponsors. 

Thats badly worded on my part. I'm not aware of any online advertising actively being promoted and while Danny does a lot of commercial work its not his full time job - thats what I meant.

Im certainly not trying to criticise Danny, theres no doubt hes doing the best he can given all the things he is responsible for. Whether or not the club would benefit from someone else focusing on the commercial side, despite how badly the last one ended, is another question.