The Queen of the South thread

Kenny Miller has been linked with Aberdeen, Dundee, his first club Hibernian, Motherwell and St Mirren.

If Miller at 38 is classed as fit and good enough for top level football, why was Derek Lyle who is super fit not kept on?
You can’t seriously compere Miller and Lyle as equals. One is super fit and a gifted player who will be welcomed at most Scottish premier league clubs. The other a journeyman who’s light is fading.
Let’s see who Lyle signs for and how he performs!

I've always seen Miller as more a work horse than a gifted player. A player you would like in your side but I wouldn't put much money on him in a one-on-one situation. He's done well to keep himself so fit at his age.

On 6/7/2018 at 14:51, Mr X said:

The club has had an instagram account for the last couple of seasons.

I think theres a danger in these discussions that too much emphasis is placed on social media. Its an important part of communicating with fans but its only one part of PR and, in terms of getting bums on seats and generating revenue, probably the least effective. Having a picture of a new signing isnt really going to achieve much, for example.

PR is more than that, its about promoting the club and things happening at the club in a positive way in general across all forms of media as well as face to face. Thats more effective in getting people through the turnstyles and drives more spend on merchandise and sponsorship.

You get money through social media for literally nothing more than adding a logo to a picture, Thorntons "sponsor" our social media and in return we bang there logo on social media posts, for the amount of time it takes to do it's well worth it. 

Whenever a player scores a post also gets put on social media, and you can sponsor those. My mates who were doing a clothing company sponsored Joe Cardle last year. IMG_20180611_002629.thumb.jpg.8d040d44caed4fc3123e03fa5c88b849.jpg

There's McManus sponsored by Warbases.co.uk.

Our social media/pr budget is miniscule, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Our season ticket video was a bridie! 

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You get money through social media for literally nothing more than adding a logo to a picture, Thorntons "sponsor" our social media and in return we bang there logo on social media posts, for the amount of time it takes to do it's well worth it. 

Whenever a player scores a post also gets put on social media, and you can sponsor those. My mates who were doing a clothing company sponsored Joe Cardle last year. IMG_20180611_002629.thumb.jpg.8d040d44caed4fc3123e03fa5c88b849.jpg

There's McManus sponsored by Warbases.co.uk.

Our social media/pr budget is miniscule, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Our season ticket video was a bridie! 

You get money for it if you can get companies to sign up. To do that you need someone going out and selling to them.

I would imagine Dunfermlines social media stuff is done mainly by volunteers?

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've always seen Miller as more a work horse than a gifted player. A player you would like in your side but I wouldn't put much money on him in a one-on-one situation. He's done well to keep himself so fit at his age.

Miller 20 years ago was a gifted player. Now he's pretty much a goalhanger who's going to cost you 20 grand a week and argue with the coach.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

You get money for it if you can get companies to sign up. To do that you need someone going out and selling to them.

I would imagine Dunfermlines social media stuff is done mainly by volunteers?

You wouldn’t need anybody extra going out and selling it if it was included on the sponsorship booklet. That would at least be a start. Also notice that the leaflet doesn’t include sponsorship opportunities in relation to QOSTV, like sponsoring the highlights package. Or, if that isn’t possible because they aren’t produced regularly, then sponsoring the after match interviews could be. Of course, maybe there is somebody already lined up for this.

Also might be an idea to publicise the sponsorship booklet with a link on a news item on the OS  when it comes out. Maybe that was done, though.

http://www.qosfc.com/docs/QOS Sponsor Booklet 2018-19.pdf

Miller 20 years ago was a gifted player. Now he's pretty much a goalhanger who's going to cost you 20 grand a week and argue with the coach.

Pretty much spot on, saw him play this year and all he did was shout and bawl at his team mates, wave his arms like a windmill a general seething individual for 90 minutes, typical zombie I suppose lol was decent in his day but as 19QOS19 states you wouldn’t stick a fiver on him one on one with the keeper !!

4 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Pretty much spot on, saw him play this year and all he did was shout and bawl at his team mates, wave his arms like a windmill a general seething individual for 90 minutes, typical zombie I suppose lol was decent in his day but as 19QOS19 states you wouldn’t stick a fiver on him one on one with the keeper !!

And I think that's MIllers problem. He knows he is done at an appreciable level.  He'll try and get his money back from Rangers, but he's got a year tops before he's forced by a lack of interest to retire.

Edited by DeeBairn
half asleep

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

You wouldn’t need anybody extra going out and selling it if it was included on the sponsorship booklet. That would at least be a start. Also notice that the leaflet doesn’t include sponsorship opportunities in relation to QOSTV, like sponsoring the highlights package. Or, if that isn’t possible because they aren’t produced regularly, then sponsoring the after match interviews could be. Of course, maybe there is somebody already lined up for this.

Also might be an idea to publicise the sponsorship booklet with a link on a news item on the OS  when it comes out. Maybe that was done, though.

"Going out and selling it" was a general term covering all those points. I didnt literally mean an extra person employed just to sell online advertising. Not that we have anyone already doing it either, though.

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

And I think that's MIllers problem. He knows he is done at an appreciable level.  He'll try and get his money back from Rangers, but he's got a year tops before he's forced by a lack of interest to retire.

The fact he is fighting the fine suggests Rangers are paying him silly money #neverlearn

He will be lucky to get a 4 or 5k wage now in Scotland, the fact he has shown interest in Livvy manager role suggests he is willing to go down to similar to what he earned 20yr ago.

Never fully rated him, tho he did have a right purple patch at Derby and Scotland. Tho I caught a few live Rangers games and he seemed to be their best player, shows the massive job Gerrard has and the state of Scottish fitba.

Thankfully he won't be near us

Do you still have the power to make this happen Mr X or is that the commercial teams responsibility ?

5 hours ago, Flash said:

Does every single thing really need to be up for sale?

Guest Flash
15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does every single thing really need to be up for sale?

No, but maximising revenue is usually seen as a good thing. 

Not signed a player in a wee while. Damn our tiny budget and poor geographical location. Damn it all to hell. 

Sorry didnt think this had been mentioned enough. Can anyone give any insight onto plans to celebrate the centenary year?  I know a book and the shirt is one but is there anything else in the pipeline?