The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Whats the situation with Dom Thomas and joe Thompson. I know they went back to parent clubs but are they available again?

I seen Dom made a tweet a couple of days ago saying he was away "on a business trip." Obviously means nothing in terms of your question but if it was football related then it might be announced soon where he's away to. I heard Motherwell but we'll see. 

I'd be surprised if Motherwell re-signed him given he's not exactly done anything of note since leaving them but stranger things have happened ofcourse.

I don't expect to see him back with us (at least in August) and I base this purely on the way he left the pitch in the last home game.

4 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

I think he will do a job for you guys. He is dripping with experience, very fit, and working through his coaching badges. For us, he was OK when he first signed, but eventually the Championship was just a little bit too much for him.  I wish him well, he always gave us 100%.

Gordon Durie/  Geordie Cloy, Billy Sim , are dripping with experience  .Trap 4 at Hove tomorrow can run and is fit, don't know about badges . 

Its a footballer you are looking for .The difference between Championship and 2nd division is  over one game nothing, over a season massive.

He is as nice a guy as you could meet .

11 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Whats the situation with Dom Thomas and joe Thompson. I know they went back to parent clubs but are they available again?

Thomas is under contract at Kilmarnock. Presumably he will be back there. Doubt any loan would be considered before August.

Thomson is out of contract at Celtic and presumably looking for a new club. I havent heard any suggestion of Celtic offering him a new deal.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thomas is under contract at Kilmarnock. Presumably he will be back there. Doubt any loan would be considered before August.

Thomson is out of contract at Celtic and presumably looking for a new club. I havent heard any suggestion of Celtic offering him a new deal.

Two players i would like to see back at club for sure. Thanks

Yeah this pretty much. Last season was possibly a season too far as a Championship player but he was decent and probably just what we needed when he first arrived and a damn good captain on and off the park. 
Hope he does well at Clyde but not too well in the Betfred Cup!

Yeah I think the problem was he wasnt deserving his place on the pitch towards the end but kept it because he was captain. But reminiscent of the Gary McAllister situation with Scotland all those years ago.

Until Joe Thomson arrived Rankin played every week because there was no-one else. I don’t think it was anything to do with him being captain. It’s a shame Owen Bell had such an injury hit season as there was a real opportunity for him to force his way into the team.

I find it hard to agree he was a damn good captain. In fact I’d go as far as to say he is one of the worst we’ve had! The captain should be leading by example but if the rest of the team followed Rankin’s lead they would be constantly giving the ball away, shirking tackles, giving away daft fouls and gifting our opponents goals on a regular basis. He wasn’t much of an organiser either as shown by the number of set piece goals conceded.

But yeah other than that, a damn good captain.

30 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Until Joe Thomson arrived Rankin played every week because there was no-one else. I don’t think it was anything to do with him being captain. It’s a shame Owen Bell had such an injury hit season as there was a real opportunity for him to force his way into the team.

I find it hard to agree he was a damn good captain. In fact I’d go as far as to say he is one of the worst we’ve had! The captain should be leading by example but if the rest of the team followed Rankin’s lead they would be constantly giving the ball away, shirking tackles, giving away daft fouls and gifting our opponents goals on a regular basis. He wasn’t much of an organiser either as shown by the number of set piece goals conceded.

But yeah other than that, a damn good captain.

Even after Joe Thomson arrived he had a knee injury for two or three weeks and also played further forward when Dobbie was out and Dykes suspended. Combined with Lyle and as you say Bell being out (& Jacobs was out till February) there really wasnt much opportunity to leave Rankin out until the last two or three weeks when he was left out.

We will have to disagree on the captaincy thing though I was more talking about his influence verbally than his play obviously.

If Joe Thomson is available he has to be our top target this summer .

He will never get a game at Celtic even if offered a new deal so surely better to get more game time with us then get a move back to a bigger club .

He was easily our best player once he got going again but as always all down to money again something we do t have a lot of .

Don Thomas has 2 years left on his contract at Killie so any move for him would be on loan again .

Would love both them back but if I had to choose one it would be Joe Thomson every time.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nah if Celtic offer him a deal he'll stay. Footballers Always go to whoever is paying the most money remember emoji6.png

You are right if Celtic offer him a deal he will stay !!! then hopefully come to us loan 

Kenny Miller has been linked with Aberdeen, Dundee, his first club Hibernian, Motherwell and St Mirren.

If Miller at 38 is classed as fit and good enough for top level football, why was Derek Lyle who is super fit not kept on?

Cause he’s done at this level. A club legend that’s done brilliantly for us but his time was up. The difference when we finally got some legs in Lyndon upfront with Dobbie made a big difference in last run of games

Cause he’s done at this level. A club legend that’s done brilliantly for us but his time was up. The difference when we finally got some legs in Lyndon upfront with Dobbie made a big difference in last run of games

Did it? I didn't think we were massively better either way tbh.

Did it? I didn't think we were massively better either way tbh.

Serious? Everyone I’ve spoke to is genuinely excited for them two to start upfront together. I think we look a lot more dangerous with them, Lyndon wanting to get in behind will hopefully leave gaps for Dobbie to do his damage.

Serious? Everyone I’ve spoke to is genuinely excited for them two to start upfront together. I think we look a lot more dangerous with them, Lyndon wanting to get in behind will hopefully leave gaps for Dobbie to do his damage.
Yeah. Dykes played around 1500 more minutes than Lyle and only managed 2 more goals than him, granted he assisted with 8 more goals.

I thought Dykes was more effective when played up front as opposed to LM but at no point did I ever think "This is far more effective than if Lyle was here". I didn't think we were particularly better with Lyle and Dobbie though. Both combinations were the same for me, Dobbie being the key obviously.

I can't say I'm "excited" to see them two start upfront next season. I don't think we need another striker but I'm content more than excited with our frontline.

I felt our best combination was Kane and Dobbie last season but can't be bothered looking just now to see if that's statistically accurate.

Yeah. Dykes played around 1500 more minutes than Lyle and only managed 2 more goals than him, granted he assisted with 8 more goals.

I thought Dykes was more effective when played up front as opposed to LM but at no point did I ever think "This is far more effective than if Lyle was here". I didn't think we were particularly better with Lyle and Dobbie though. Both combinations were the same for me, Dobbie being the key obviously.

I can't say I'm "excited" to see them two start upfront next season. I don't think we need another striker but I'm content more than excited with our frontline.

I felt our best combination was Kane and Dobbie last season but can't be bothered looking just now to see if that's statistically accurate.

I’d agree once Kane got going he looked quality. I genuinely just didn’t think Tanman brought much to us last year, it’s all opinions I guess, but think they’ll be decent

I’d agree once Kane got going he looked quality. I genuinely just didn’t think Tanman brought much to us last year, it’s all opinions I guess, but think they’ll be decent

Heard up here in Perth that Kane was pulled into the managers office by Tommy Wright and told in no uncertain terms to get his finger out during his loan spell with us, may explain his sudden change of form during the late Autumn !!